Review Post Match Review Coll v Richmond: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Swan was brilliant, BUT, gee whiz he has slipped a notch or two in defensive intensity. Pendles didn't get the stats, but around the ball he was much more likely to be pressuring than Swan. Ball always does but had an ordinary game and Wellingham will probably be in the gun selection wise this week.

Krakouers upside (skill and finishing) is not outweighing his downside at the moment. he is too slow and too easily brushed aside. His defensive effort is not what is needed up forward. Would really like to see MaCaffer and Dick get a go.

I thought we also missed Toovey a bit. His speed is important and he is always high up in our tackles.

I was disappointed with the some of the effort tonight, but satisfied with the result. As others have said the more dire the situation, the better Daisy seems to play. He was clearly second best. Thought Cloke was third and Heater was again very good across half back.

It would be nice to see a few guys just relax. Obviously the 3rd quarter wasn't our best footy but we have to give credit to the Tigers, they took the game on and their better players like Deledio, Newman, Martin etc got their hands on the ball and really had an impact. That being said, the result was never really in jeopardy after about 8 minutes into the first quarter. We are 4-0 with an extremely healthy %. I'm sure Mick and the boys would have noticed everything we have noticed plus plenty of other little things that need to be worked on and tinkered. Give the boys some credit, we're 4-0, winning comfortably and we still haven't put in a 4 quarter effort. I'll back our boys to get it 100% right when it really matters which is about 4 months from now

Swan was brilliant, BUT, gee whiz he has slipped a notch or two in defensive intensity. Pendles didn't get the stats, but around the ball he was much more likely to be pressuring than Swan.

This has always been true. Pendlebury's been our best defensive midfielder since his second year, and Swan tends to conserve his energy a bit on the defensive end. Will tackle hard when the ball's in his area, but has never been one to chase much unless he thinks there's a good chance he can stick a tackle.

How did you game attenders rate Wood's game?

Was ok around the ground, kicked a goal, got to a few contests, made a great spoil early on. But he was smashed in the ruck by a spud. Hopefully Jolly is back next week because Hille and Ryder would eat Wood up.

Also Richmond supporters are dead set ferals, one of them in a corporate box threw his beer bottle at a Collingwood supporter sitting in p section. He opened the window up and just threw it at him. Dead set filth they are.

The Great:
The great Dane Swan showing his true form again, BOG.
Dale Thomas was electrifying and in 3rd quarter kept us not getting swallowed up completely. Absolute gun and I think he has become absolute elite with Swan and Pendles.

The Good:
Jarryd Blair had another really awesome game, his spot can't be touched atm.
Scott Pendlebury started getting some pace in the 1st quarter (before coming off) and then his last quarter showed signs of his pace again. Hopefully he has a belter on ANZAC.
Cloke & Dawes kept leading and giving us options up front, really happy with their development (esp Clokes ACCURACY!!!)
Luke Ball (why hasn't anyone mentioned him?) he was really in the game and was able to sneak in a few goals and really love how he plays his game.
Sides is really starting to get back to his form, going to be deadly in the coming weeks.
CHRIS TARRANT was absolute star IMO. Really kept Jack at bay and even though jack kicked 4 goals, I think chris tarrant outbeat him and kept him quiet, especially in the 3rd.
Leroy really improving, his best game this season only thing is he still giving careless free's, gotta address that.
Didak also showed his true talent, especially last quarter. Just really needs to start kicking the goals (esp the flashy ones) though he is racking up the possessions.

The Average:
Our backline faltered in the 3rd quarter, heathers, maxxie and johnson were all average and harry o got beaten a few times but is showing his flair which I love. :p
Our midfield in the 3rd quarter was just poor. Only Daisy and Swanny were holding us together in the mid, but richmond ran hoops through us in mid and got the clearances which let them score and get back into the game.

The Bad:
Kraks and Wellingham were quite bad, really need to improve their game or they may make way for Dick and Maccy because those two both deserve a spot (esp Dick who I think is the best crummer we have).
Our fade outs against a team like Richmond. We won by 71 points and played poorly, which does say something, but still if we fade out against an Essendon, Geelong, Sydney etc... they will punish us. Gotta fix this before it losses us a vital game.

The Meh-ish:
Still don't know about Davis, he played average, missed a few tackles but is still very accurate. I think he needs a few weeks to get acquainted into the back line, but I dont know if Mick will give it to him. I hope for his sake they persist cause if he can get his mind-set right, he'll be good.
Wood was just below-par. Had a good first half and slotted a goal, but really lost us centre clearances and in the 3rd quarter it hurt us badly. Jolly so superior atm.

Strange game, all night, I thought his around the ground work was better then Graham's, and it got better as the night went on, but his usual strength, his tap ruck work was missing tonight.

I think he suffered from not playing senior football this year, it's such a step up from VFL to AFL, especially for ruckman IMO, and as I said during the week, Graham is one of the best young rucks going around.

The only positive out of Leigh Brown's possible suspension is that Wood will get 2 games in a row.

I still say we could win the flag with Wood as our no.1 ruck, but our chances would be decreased, there's no doubt about that.

I'm willing to give him one more week, be it against better opposition next week, but that's solely reliant on whether Leeroy misses or not, of course.

The good

Huge win
Swan, Thomas, Cloke,
Some of Davis's work off half back

The Bad
Reid looks very shaky down back at the moment
Some of Davis's one handed garbage in defence
Wellingham is struggling

The Ugly
I hate to say it, because it would have been such a great story and we all got sucked in to the hype, but Andrew Krakeour is too slow and not strong enough for AFL footy. I'd be very surprised if he is in the seniors in September.

Was ok around the ground, kicked a goal, got to a few contests, made a great spoil early on. But he was smashed in the ruck by a spud. Hopefully Jolly is back next week because Hille and Ryder would eat Wood up.

Also Richmond supporters are dead set ferals, one of them in a corporate box threw his beer bottle at a Collingwood supporter sitting in p section. He opened the window up and just threw it at him. Dead set filth they are.

I think that's the issue here. If you get beaten by quality opposition then fair enough, but to get slaughtered by a so-so footballer isn't the best, especially when you've been given an opportunity to step up where you can give the coach a reason not to drop you.

Also is it me or are we starting to lose the whole 'press' mentality in the forward-line. It seems far easier to get it out of our forward 50 then it was previously.

Also is it me or are we starting to lose the whole 'press' mentality in the forward-line. It seems far easier to get it out of our forward 50 then it was previously.

Krakouer for Macaffer is an enormous downgrade in tackling pressure, so I think it's to be expected.

Plus, now that we're resting our best mids up there for a % of the game, that will negatively impact it as well (they're resting, they're not going to chase all out).

The good- 70+ point win

The bad- the lack of intensity in the 3rd quarter

The ugly- The TV coverage. Whoever directs the footy for CH7 and CH10 needs to stop showing useless replays or meaningless shots of players sitting on the bench, coaches in their coaching boxes ect ect when there is something far more interesting like a centre bounce, boundary throw ins , kick ins ect. ect. taking place. It has been happening for a few years now and I am getting sick of screaming 'Stay with the ******* game " at the TV for 2hours.

The Ugly
I hate to say it, because it would have been such a great story and we all got sucked in to the hype, but Andrew Krakeour is too slow and not strong enough for AFL footy. I'd be very surprised if he is in the seniors in September.

Disagree completely. He just needs more time to fit back into AFL footy. He has shown glimpses of his true potential, he justs needs consistency and he can only get that through playing AFL. He will come good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Ron and Matty for Wood comments.

Doubt Leroy will get suspended and hopefully Jolly back, as I think Essendon would rejoice coming up against Wood.

Having said that, perhaps Jolly may still be injured and Leroy suspended and Wood will carry our hopes with Shae as back up!!

I only really paid very close attention to his tap work in the first quarter but I thought some of his taps, when he one them, were very clearly to advantage and was really winning the taps, unlike Jolly and Brown, who sometimes just win the contest. If that makes sense.

Wellingham should be dropped on form, though I don't agree with dropping him.

Krakouer was piss poor tonight, needs to stay in the side to find form as well though.

Leigh Brown was shocking in the first half but showed some 2010 form after his report.

I thought Luke Ball was great tonight. Even when we were being slaughtered, I thought he was one of a very select few that could hold their heads high. Almost BOG tonight.

Benny Reid's disposal is beautiful, his decision making is shocking sometimes. It's a bit like how god put so much talent into Mozart - why give such a lovely kick to such a shocking thinker?

Benny Reid's disposal is beautiful, his decision making is shocking sometimes. It's a bit like how god put so much talent into Mozart - why give such a lovely kick to such a shocking thinker?

Disagree agree with this, He might not be the best night for it last season and I seen him make some very good descions

Re: These Lapses

Its impossible to win every quarter in the season. The lapses are just normal ebbs and flows.

This. ****ing ridiculous to think we're the 'all powerful, all conquering Black and White force'
We're a very good footy side and good footy side don't win things occasionally.

Just watch the first and the last quarter if the 3rd upsets you so much.

Re: These Lapses

The good
Three amigos, Swan, Pendlebury and Thomas (waiting for the fourth Didak).

The almost good, the apprentices, Sidebottom, Beams and Blair. Also thought that Tarrant played well. Twin towers, Cloke and Dawes.

The not so bad
Maxwell (cost us a goal), Reid a little bit shaky, although both should improve. Brown although he is very good at applying pressure on the opposition. Shaw resting in preparation for next week. Honourable mention Ball.

The bad
Wellingham, haven't seen him play one good quarter yet. Wood not sure he is prepared to put his body on the line.

Jury out for Davis, Kraks.
Not so disappointed overall, difficult to play well against undermanned opposition.
I am happy to collect the 4 points knowing we can go to sleep for a quarter and still win by 70+.

April footy. We are playing much better now then same time last year. Butters is a great sport science director. He'll have us peaking at the right time.

I appears we still aren't implementing the full-on fanatical press. I'm not concerned because burn out will be a factor if we did, in the latter part of the year. Watch carlton and Essendon towars the end of the year and possibly Hawthorn. They are not used to the full-on press. We know how to best time it and use it.

Wood hasn't played AFL since the NAB Cup GF and still that was only a glorified practice match. He'll be better for the run but if Jolly is fit, he'll come in. If Jolly doesn't come up, I expect Wood to be better for the run last night, next week.

Thought Leroy was OK. Report was rubbish and will get tossed.

Daisy & Swanny were sensational. Pendels & Bally both work their arses off in and under. Beams, Blair and Sidey all good.

Dawes & Cloke both may have good but perhaps my expectations were higher for both of them last night. Dawes will struggle to get frees becuase he is so much bigger then his opponents in the same way, Rocca, BBB Hall & J.Brown struggle to get frees. Travis should have got 5 goals but his marking was very good against an opponent you'd expect him too.

Backline just seems to be lacking a bit of cohesion at the moment. Perhaps in some part that we are not implementing that fanatical press for large parts of the game.

If seen many players struggle when they play their 1st game against their old team. The nervous energy they expend depletes then of energy resources. That's what I put down to Krak.

Wellers ahs been off and knowing MM, he loves JMac and wants to get games into alot of players. A good game for JMac and he could replace Wellers.

Didn't play many minutes but gee Toooooooooooooooves is a good defender. Just knows his role is to negate.

All in all. We are winning well, 4-0, great percentage and not playing near our best which you'd expect at this time of year.

Happy Days.

Very good post there Bay Pie, lots of great points.

The 'press' does seem to be getting a rest atm, which does explain the less tackles and turnovers and the backs getting caught with a little more one on one footy.

No question they're being managed at this time of the year.

Davis is finished.

His tackles never stick and he has far too many soft efforts, going one handed to pick up the ball, shirking body contact etc. He's no longer damaging enough to overlook his softness. Don't want him in the team.

There is no place in the team for him. Not in our best 22 anymore. Dick and Macaffer are both ahead of him as a forward and he's a shit defender.

I don't like saying this and appreciate his years at the club but he is the Lockyer/O'Bree of 2011.

Dick4AnzacDay please.

:thumbsu: This! the amount of times i was going off my head at davis was unbelievable. those one handed attempts were so bullcrap. I dont like him as a defender and I dont think he is reliable in big games to warrant selection.

In the first 4 rounds this year, this is how I rate our team.

Forward line: Much improved this year. Similar personal but just about all of them playing better. Dawes = better, Cloke = more accurate, Blair = excellent, Sidebottom/Beams= both playing well.

Midfield : Same as last year. Close to the best in the competition. Ball looks like he has more speed and longer kicking. Is it just me or does Didak look like he is missing 5 metres off his kicking. Over the last 2 weeks I have seen him try to kick two goals from about 52 meters out and both were touched on the line. He would have banged them through last year.

Backline: Look to be struggling a bit more this year then at the end of last year. O'Brien, Toovey and Shaw have all been good. The rest have struggled at times. The lack of a press this year has made it a bit harder for the backline overall.

Krakouer had a big week last week with all the attention from his jail house salute and playing his former team. He looked mentally lost out there on the field Friday night. He will be better next week. Wellingham needs a rest in the twos. He was fighting for his spot last year and he needs that same pressure to play better.

P.S we are going to lose a game or three this year and there will be much crying on BF. The next three are danger games and I would almost expect us to lose one of them. Having said that I would love to win them all.

The Good:

- Swan
- Thomas
- Didak's second half
- Toovey defended really well, and that's hard for me to say
- Our power forwards played like power forwards
- Tarrants best game I thought

The Bad:

- The rest of the defence pretty much. Reid was TEEEEERRRRRIBLE, and literally gifted Richmond at least 3 goals. Harry O'Brien REALLY needs to work on his one on one defensive skills. Not good at all. Johnson was average tonight too. We just let in a lot of shitty goals.
- 3rd quarter. People might say lapses like that are ok in April, but they're not ok against good sides. This needs to tighten up.

The Ugly:
- Krakouer. Worst game for the club so far, but nothing to overreact to
- Wellingham. This is WAY more cause for concern. Hasn't been great all year in fact. Wondering if he's one of those on a really heavy training load who will come good mid year.
- MRP. Dawes 1 week, seriously? For a SLIGHTLY late spoil/tackle attempt? GTFO.
- That 3rd quarter
- Ben Reid. Seriously again, never seen a worse game from him, and he wasn't even playing on anyone decent. Shocking night.

Funny how Krak is getting so much flack. He was quiet but he wasn't terrible. The miss in front of goal was a shocker but even Dids has missed from there before (North Melbourne anyone?). His close-in work was lovely - only millimeters between a fumble and a clean clearance.

I'd suggest that the hate is more directed at his inclusion in Dreamteam/Supercoach teams ;)

Woody showed 1 and a half quarters of effort and a lot of meh. I like when he got fired up at the end of quarter time, but it faded.

When I first heard Jolly was out, I was actually thinking that the Richmond midfield would carve us up and sure enough the 3rd quarter was a more accurate indication of where they're at. Give Richmond another 1 or 2 seasons and they'll be bloody tricky to stop.

Good
Thomas - he's so bloody exciting to watch
Swan - overtaken 'Gaz' as the MVP
Blair - you now get the feeling something's going to happen when he mits it
Cloke - his grabs are still outstanding, never mind the kicking. Forces things to happen, is nearly impossible to shift

Bad
Maxwell - not quite in gear yet, but won't be long. A hiccup
Wellers - apart from the flashy goal, a whole lot of invisibility
Umpires - they manage to not see him all night when he's being mauled by the defenders, then they suddenly see him for a ridiculous "offense" :mad:

Ugle
The creepy guy next to me in Row N

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Post Match Review Coll v Richmond: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back