Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the Saints board, Darryl Wakelin was on SEN this afternoon and said that Gill is more likely to nominate St Kilda than Port next year

Thats an interesting curve ball

According to the Saints board, Darryl Wakelin was on SEN this afternoon and said that Gill is more likely to nominate St Kilda than Port next year

Thats a terrible outcome for us, would be in his ear trying as much to get him to come to Port. I could understand his concerns if he was a midfielder but his a tall prospect that we have lacked forever from the 1st round and he's in that range atm.

Surely that’s not real. Maybe some fans reaching?

Can’t see why he would. He’s already in our academy , lives here, and if he wanted to go to melb there’s other options that would be more appealing than saints.

Whether it’s true or not, that’s a very odd think for Darryl to say publicly a year out from the draft.

I’ll believe it when someone posts the audio.

Surely that’s not real. Maybe some fans reaching?

Can’t see why he would. He’s already in our academy , lives here, and if he wanted to go to melb there’s other options that would be more appealing than saints.
Port people see through Ken

Whether it’s true or not, that’s a very odd think for Darryl to say publicly a year out from the draft.

I’ll believe it when someone posts the audio.

From 7 minutes onwards. Kid's a Saints fan, mostly because of his Grandad. Darryl still has strong relationships with both clubs. From that audio clip, he merely mentions Gill is more of a Saints fan than Port fan but the kid plays for PAC, so whether or not he would want to move when he could guarantee himself a spot on the list at Port in his home state remains to be seen. "More of a Saints fan" doesnt mean he aint a Port one ;)

Just get Rozee and JHF to rock up to his house and close the deal. Have to do everything we can and get in early

Realistically Father Son picks these days are only beneficial when the player is an elite level talent that the club otherwise wouldn't have had access to. Outside of that it's really just about the romance of footy and club history since the AFL makes you pay close to market value. Having multiple father son eligible draftees can actually be detrimental when it means that you preference them over actual list needs. More likely than not a player that is higher up your draft board would still be available when you use your picks to bid or match for these father sons.

All of our father sons in recent years have been undersized mids/flankers and at this stage it looks like Jase will turn into a solid player and Mead is still very much a line ball whether he becomes a mainstay. I won't be too sad if we don't pick up some of our FS options this year if it means we are picking players that address our current list deficiencies.

Realistically Father Son picks these days are only beneficial when the player is an elite level talent that the club otherwise wouldn't have had access to. Outside of that it's really just about the romance of footy and club history since the AFL makes you pay close to market value. Having multiple father son eligible draftees can actually be detrimental when it means that you preference them over actual list needs. More likely than not a player that is higher up your draft board would still be available when you use your picks to bid or match for these father sons.

All of our father sons in recent years have been undersized mids/flankers and at this stage it looks like Jase will turn into a solid player and Mead is still very much a line ball whether he becomes a mainstay. I won't be too sad if we don't pick up some of our FS options this year if it means we are picking players that address our current list deficiencies.
Given out list sizes, if indeed Port get 2 first for Houston and somehow magically land Perryman and Richards as well, I think there's a chance we may pass on 1 or 2 prospects.

Saying that, I'd much rather have the 3 F/S prospects on our list over some of the names we have on our current list.

From 7 minutes onwards. Kid's a Saints fan, mostly because of his Grandad. Darryl still has strong relationships with both clubs. From that audio clip, he merely mentions Gill is more of a Saints fan than Port fan but the kid plays for PAC, so whether or not he would want to move when he could guarantee himself a spot on the list at Port in his home state remains to be seen. "More of a Saints fan" doesnt mean he aint a Port one ;)

Just get Rozee and JHF to rock up to his house and close the deal. Have to do everything we can and get in early

That is a bit different to He wants to play for St Kilda!

Listen live to Darryl, he did mention his son was more of a Saints fan. But wouldn’t say that means his going to pick them. He said he regularly goes to Port games with the whole family. He also said his boy is a good runner and about 191cm natural defender. Only plays forward in school football.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mead is criminally underrated on this board.

Gill won't pick St Kilda.

See that's St Kilda in a nutshell, a little bit of hope ...

the usual suspects GIF

Having said that, they've flown him over a few times. They're trying.

Zakk if they were trying they would do what Vic clubs did in the good old days and give him a Lamborghini :D

Then they signed with another club and kept the car. :cool:

Having said that, they've flown him over a few times. They're trying.
I may have misunderstood what Darryl said in the segment, but I think he mentioned that Gill was part of Saints' NGA Academy too? If that was the case then there's no surprises that he's been flown over a few times for training etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back