Pound for pound: Strongest man in the comp currently

Remove this Banner Ad

Polo_14 said:
G-Train

Joke of a man. Absolute mountain

Geniune slithering Carpet Snake

Went down easy as p1ss against Daniel Kerr and Nathan Carrol.

Pound for pound, he isn't that strong.

blitzer said:
I read a while back that Peverill was the strongest guy at Essendon pound for pound. Not sure how true it is.

I also heard about this, apparently he could bench press the second most weight at the club, not sure who did the most.

Polo_14 said:
360 Pound + bench press suggest otherwise

Bench press isn't how you define 'pound for pound' strength imo.

Benching is only testing a few different muscle groups, core strength is much more important than arms or chest muscles - which is why guys like Kerr, Ablett, Judd, Chapman, Neitz are much stronger, they don't get brought down anywhere near as easily as the G-String.

There is no way Gehrig is as strong as Kerr if we're talking pound for pound. And benchpressing is possibly the worst way of evaluating strength in a football sense anyway.

Pound for Pound would pull a surprise. it could be someone small and light eg an aaron davey or even a scott west.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wazzabp said:
I wouldn't say its his upper body, his strength is through the hips and legs, he just bursts through tackles.

And strength through the legs and hips is far more important than arm strength.

I can't beleive people are actually saying Gehrig - it's just idiotic.

Pound for Pund, Judd and Kerr destroy Gehrig.

At the risk of sounding like Robert Walls - and the even greater risk of pumping Weagles tyres (they already rival the blimp) - I think Judd would be right up there. Barry Hall and Neitz have good core strength but Judd's ability to shrug a tackle (not just avoid it) is excellent. That suggests his leg and lower body strength is excellent.

On the other hand, watching Barry Hall simply run through big tough players when he really wants the ball is simply amazing. I saw it on the wing at the SCG and it looked like he was playing against the Under 15s.

rick James said:
And strength through the legs and hips is far more important than arm strength.

I can't beleive people are actually saying Gehrig - it's just idiotic.

Pound for Pund, Judd and Kerr destroy Gehrig.

Yeah totally agree,

How about Leo Barry, Seems to go very well on far bigger blokes. Throw Shane Parker and James Clement into that group aswell.

Geelong -

I rekon Ablett Jr or Chapman would be the respective strongest at Geelong (they're both very solid indivduals - i dont care what the knockers say about Gaz, he's a tough little goer).

King benches 140kg, but he also weighs over 100kg. Otto is around the same.

Spriggs used to bench 117kg in 2001 - considering he's like 176cm, 76kg - thats a flipping good effort!!!

Melbourne -

Brent Moloney by a mile, he would be close to pound-for-pound the strongest in the comp imo.

rick James said:
Bench press isn't how you define 'pound for pound' strength imo.

Benching is only testing a few different muscle groups, core strength is much more important than arms or chest muscles - which is why guys like Kerr, Ablett, Judd, Chapman, Neitz are much stronger, they don't get brought down anywhere near as easily as the G-String.

There is no way Gehrig is as strong as Kerr if we're talking pound for pound. And benchpressing is possibly the worst way of evaluating strength in a football sense anyway.

Squats are the best indicator of "core strength".

Anyway, I would probably back the G Train for burst strength and Ben Cousins or Barry Hall for endurance strength. David Hille and Courtney Johns seem like fairly strong blokes also.

I'm pretty sure Old Arch would still surprise a few of the young blokes.

Bloods Rule! said:
At the risk of sounding like Robert Walls - and the even greater risk of pumping Weagles tyres (they already rival the blimp) - I think Judd would be right up there. Barry Hall and Neitz have good core strength but Judd's ability to shrug a tackle (not just avoid it) is excellent. That suggests his leg and lower body strength is excellent.

On the other hand, watching Barry Hall simply run through big tough players when he really wants the ball is simply amazing. I saw it on the wing at the SCG and it looked like he was playing against the Under 15s.

Nah you're not beign biased, Judd would be right up there, core strength is much more important than big arms etc. and I agree regarding Hall and Neitz - they don't get taken down easily.

Hell, I remember seeing Neitz hold back Hudgton and both Fishers single handedly when we played the saitns this year - ball was going for the boundary and he literally just put his arms out and stood there and they couldn't get past him. That isn't anything to do with strong arms, that's his hips/thighs etc.

westernnugget said:
Yeah totally agree,

How about Leo Barry, Seems to go very well on far bigger blokes. Throw Shane Parker and James Clement into that group aswell.

Barry is an excellent choice as well, same with Clement. Both really know how to use their bodies.

rick James said:
Nah you're not beign biased, Judd would be right up there, core strength is much more important than big arms etc. and I agree regarding Hall and Neitz - they don't get taken down easily.

Hell, I remember seeing Neitz hold back Hudgton and both Fishers single handedly when we played the saitns this year - ball was going for the boundary and he literally just put his arms out and stood there and they couldn't get past him. That isn't anything to do with strong arms, that's his hips/thighs etc.

In 2004 when Geelog v Melbourne at SKilled Stadium - Scarlett to something like 5 contested marks one out with Neitz - promting Garry Lyon (a man who has seen more of David Neitz than anyone) to say "I have never seen Neitz outmarked as often as I have seen Scarlett do (to him) today"

Scarlo has also outbodied just about every KP forward on the roster, exceptions being Nick Reiwoldt (who Scarlo couldnt keep up with and Roo's marks were all uncontested)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pound for pound: Strongest man in the comp currently

Remove this Banner Ad

Back