AFL Autopsy Praccy Match v. St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

same s**t different year
ive supported the bombers for 50 years.
guess i'm luckier than some in that i can remember winning finals and being feared.
We are an utter laughing stock practice match or not
I remember 2000 and the practice match series and i made a call that we wouldn't lose game that season. we were aggressive and hard. 1 1loss was actually a let down for that team.
this practice game makes me question if we can actually beat anyone

I've missed these types of posts.

Worth saying that Ross the boss has potentially setup Saints to be a top 6 team this year.
And it's just a practice match.

Still if some players aren't showing much in these pre season matches, like Hepps and Wieds, we should have those particular players start out in the 2s for the first few rounds of the season until they find form.

Worth saying that Ross the boss has potentially setup Saints to be a top 6 team this year.

Still if some players aren't showing much in these pre season matches, like Hepps and Wieds, we should have those particular players start out in the 2s for the first few rounds of the season until they find form.

They just seem such a well drilled side, their list isn't even that good

Our centre structre was actually pretty good, only will get better when Draper gets back. But god there's a lot of issues everywhere else.

Like they say Match Sims don't matter but when you're getting blown out by 11 goals in a half paced match? Yeah call me Scotty at Engardine Macca's cause I'm about to start s**ting myself.

0_750x750_Back_Color-White.jpg

They're blowing their load early, just like last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My big takeaways from the snippets I saw were;

- for a squad with many tall players we are weak as piss in the air. Outmarked, outmuscled, outpositioned. It’s something they need to work hard on. We have Jones, Weid, Wright, Bryan, Hayes, Reid and Cox who all have flaws in their contested, and one-on-one marking.

- our lack of quality small forwards is a bigger problem than I thought. Minimal quality in goalsneaking and no quality in defensive pressure. Is Menzie still a ‘lock’ for a forward role? Not a lock.

- our midfield might be our only hope this season. Wrap Parish, Merrett and Setterfield in cotton wool.

Sort of a tough game to have a crack at a 21 year old forward pocket.

I'm a lot more worried about the likes of Heppell, Weideman, McGrath, etc.
3 blokes you mentioned are definitely a worry. I will rephrase.

Saints ran the ball out of our forward with ease. I cannot remember too many big pressure acts by our forwards, Gresham lifted and provided some. Hind had a run down tackle. Our other smalls were largely unsighted.

In contrast Saints smalls harassed us causing bad kicks from the likes of Hepp, McGrath and Laverde, and some bad decisions when under pressure resulting in finding King and Sharman all alone on the turnover.

3 blokes you mentioned are definitely a worry. I will rephrase.

Saints ran the ball out of our forward with ease. I cannot remember too many big pressure acts by our forwards, Gresham lifted and provided some. Hind had a run down tackle. Our other smalls were largely unsighted.

In contrast Saints smalls harassed us causing bad kicks from the likes of Hepp, McGrath and Laverde, and some bad decisions when under pressure resulting in finding King and Sharman all alone on the turnover.

I mean when we are flooding forward and we kick it to the saints defenders who are able to mark easily it makes it hard for any pressure to be put on. (I only watched the first quarter)

I mean when we are flooding forward and we kick it to the saints defenders who are able to mark easily it makes it hard for any pressure to be put on. (I only watched the first quarter)
Yeah there were turnovers from horrible kicks as well, under no pressure. Bit of a home ground advantage thing and just some with skills not up to standard.

So I'm just getting in. A poor showing I guess given the melts from some.

Were we really that bad, seriously? It's a praccy game. I saw that Scott apparently wasn't even there - pretty poor in itself I reckon.

What were the positives and negatives?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy Praccy Match v. St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back