Pre season 2013 - Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Lucas though? No one has seen him on the track after Arizona, so that must come as a bit of a concern.

Holy shit!

u34216myhwc.jpg

I have to say the one thing I am looking forward to this year is Big Kreuzer fully fit terrorising opposition teams. Clunking marks, crashing packs and striking the fear of god into the opposition midfielders with his size, speed and endurance. If this big beast can get his body right we will see something special unfold this season. The man is a monster and whilst I am not saying he has the 'C' word in him he has a competitive streak that will enable him to hit and tackle hard on all occasions. The lengths this guy will go to get the ball should not be underestimated!

If anyone needs me I will be having a cold shower! :)

Harks, how is Casboult's kicking coming along? Is he still drawing the ball from right to left?

Better than for some other days I have seen him, but we know what we're going to get from Casboult, unfortunately.
His action needs work and that clearly change doesn't come about easily, but the goal-kicking looked good today, relatively speaking.
Much more confident in Mitchells kicking. Has that bent leg but the leg follows through what looks perfectly.

Don't think so. I didn't see Carrazzo, Duigan, Waite, Scotland or Simpson.

Duigan was there and probably dropped any captaincy aspirations when he fumbled a ball straight in front of MM. :)

Missing were Walker, Scotland, Waite, Simpson, Carrazzo, McLean, Joseph and Lucas. Now that I think about it Davies wasn't there either

Interesting (and fantastic) to hear that bit about O'Keeffe.

When you think about it, he does seem the type that could be a "Malthouse specialty".

Has all the tools, hopefully he florishes.

Interesting (and fantastic) to hear that bit about O'Keeffe.
When you think about it, he does seem the type that could be a "Malthouse specialty".
Has all the tools, hopefully he flourishes.

It is and for him to be pooled together with Judd and Gibbs tells me he is being given every chance.
Of the younger, or less experienced guys he is the one that always looks as though he wants it really bad.

Just on Casboult also, he now has presence that he didn't have this time last year.
Maturity and a bit of experience will bring that about but it's just great for he and Watson to look and believe that they now belong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rehab group and still coming off his knee injury and Graham is just starting to get involved in full training.

We'll see exactly where everyone is once full contact comes about.
Poster of the year! Well deserved Harks ;)

Graham had a clean out after his TAC season. Menzel should at latest be a month away? Did his PCL around the same time Hammer did his, if not a few weeks after.

Better than for some other days I have seen him, but we know what we're going to get from Casboult, unfortunately.
His action needs work and that clearly change doesn't come about easily, but the goal-kicking looked good today, relatively speaking.
Much more confident in Mitchells kicking. Has that bent leg but the leg follows through what looks perfectly.

Duigan was there and probably dropped any captaincy aspirations when he fumbled a ball straight in front of MM. :)

Missing were Walker, Scotland, Waite, Simpson, Carrazzo, McLean, Joseph and Lucas. Now that I think about it Davies wasn't there either

Marcus Davies was definitley there mate. It took me a while to work out one of the players wearing a cap and once he reached the Social Club end realised it was Davies.

Garlett was really good as you mentioned and Robbo to me is becoming the heart and soul of that footy club. I remember in his first couple of yrs we were all petrified that this kid was going to **** up at some stage but he is an absolutely beauty and he has some real size about him now particularly accross the shoulders.

Dylan Buckley is the kid I like watching. He's fast and has that cheek like his old man.

I agree on your assesment of ROK. He was the standout for mine and this is more pleasing beacuse his last game against the Saints showed he could cut it at this level.

Marcus Davies was definitley there mate. It took me a while to work out one of the players wearing a cap and once he reached the Social Club end realised it was Davies.

I seem to remember seeing him come out with cap on, but them lost him elsewhere. Weird.
Many of the boys were taking toilet breaks moreso than usual, so thought that one may have gone in and decided not to come out. :)

White can come across as Davies at times also, although Whitey had the knee taped up. Then again several of the lads still had their knee taped up, including Hampson and Laidler.

I've almost given up on talking about Gibbs, Walker and Robinson at training. They're always the three that want to be in the spotlight. Hogs...:)

O.K. then, just on Gibbs: Some of his side stepping confused any defender manned up on him. Can't help seeing mid to forward role for him.
He'll kick plenty and when he doesn't, he'll have the smarts to stop, weigh up the options and pin-point a pass to any leading forward.

Don't stop there with your observations either, Kooley. The more the merrier. :thumbsu:

It took me a while to work out one of the players wearing a cap and once he reached the Social Club end realised it was Davies.
Find this hard to believe mate, why haven't we seen any mention of it in the media??

I like the idea of ROK in the midfield. Getting the right types of athletes into our midfield is crucial, Just looking at the type of athletes and build of players in the midfield of this years grand finalists you can see why a big strong powerful guy like ROK will be considered. Hoping to see Touhy played here too. Big, strong powerful guy with a quick turn of speed and skills to go with it. Stong tacklers, Hard to tackle guys who can compete one on one.

We have spoken of a restructure in the forward line and defence with extra talls but there could be a restructure in the midfield and I hope that amends our clearance issues which we have had for years but was exposed drastically last year when our defence was decimated and our backline wasn't capable of rebounding all those center clearances losses like it did in 2011.

I like the idea of ROK in the midfield. Getting the right types of athletes into our midfield is crucial, Just looking at the type of athletes and build of players in the midfield of this years grand finalists you can see why a big strong powerful guy like ROK will be considered. Hoping to see Touhy played here too. Big, strong powerful guy with a quick turn of speed and skills to go with it. Stong tacklers, Hard to tackle guys who can compete one on one.

Same, for all the reasons you mentioned he's well suited to it plus he'd kick a heap of long goals.

Same, for all the reasons you mentioned he's well suited to it plus he'd kick a heap of long goals.

I was reminded yesterday what we need from our mids watching Judd through that centre work drill.
Judd had no sooner touched the ball and a hand-pass was fired out. He broke through at times also, but to see the speed of his execution was pretty thrilling.

I'm just not sure that Tuohy nor O'Keeffe have the vision to be able to execute at such a pace.
I know that Tuohy has the reflexes as he is very sharp but I'm yet to be convinced about the awareness and peripheral vision. May be he has but I just haven't seen it yet.

And in the end it comes down to that, quick decision making, reflexes and execution. That's what elevates the greats from the good-honests!
I'd love Touhy to make it, but so far his decision making has been shown to not be up to speed. VERY, VERY hard skill to teach...

I was reminded yesterday what we need from our mids watching Judd through that centre work drill.
Judd had no sooner touched the ball and a hand-pass was fired out. He broke through at times also, but to see the speed of his execution was pretty thrilling.

I'm just not sure that Tuohy nor O'Keeffe have the vision to be able to execute at such a pace.
I know that Tuohy has the reflexes as he is very sharp but I'm yet to be convinced about the awareness and peripheral vision. May be he has but I just haven't seen it yet.
The highlighted point is what makes the Swans so good. Their midfielders (pretty well all of them) have the best/quickest hands in the competition. We saw this first hand in their match against us in 2012. It was actually very impressive to watch. It didn't matter how much pressure we put the Swans' players under, they still managed to get a clean handball out & open up the game accordingly. This is what we need to aim for from all our midfielders, otherwise when the heat is on, we will not be able to compete with the top 2-3 teams deep in a finals series.

The highlighted point is what makes the Swans so good. Their midfielders (pretty well all of them) have the best/quickest hands in the competition. We saw this first hand in their match against us in 2012. It was actually very impressive to watch. It didn't matter how much pressure we put the Swans' players under, they still managed to get a clean handball out & open up the game accordingly.
True, that was the best I've seen a team at the transition from the contest to open play in a long time. Some big bodied work horses in that swans midfield.

DOA (Some of you may know who he is) on TC has mentioned that Walker and some of the older boys :))) are starting up training a little later.
That explains why so many were missing although I wonder how Judd feels not to have been given the extra break.

Also mentioned that Walker loves his coach and is looking forward to a new role this year. Interesting.

DOA (Some of you may know who he is) on TC has mentioned that Walker and some of the older boys :))) are starting up training a little later.
That explains why so many were missing although I wonder how Judd feels not to have been given the extra break.

Also mentioned that Walker loves his coach and is looking forward to a new role this year. Interesting.
Looks like Malthouse has adopted a 'less if more' approach to pre-season training. Will be interesting to see how this pans out as the year progresses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre season 2013 - Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back