Game Day Pre Season Richmond vs Collingwood 6:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are right. Last night’s team had too many older players just like last year. Against Melbourne the balance was better. The coaches are obviously looking for the right balance. Hopefully R0 the mix is more like the Melbourne game. This will be bad news for Prestia Graham McIntosh Grimes and even Short. After both the practice games the results appear to support more than just a few new players in the lineup.
100% agree with all of that

One thing that really hurts us is our wingers ball use. Compare that to the pies Josh daicos, his ball use is some of the best in the comp and makes such a difference in transition

I think you are right. Last night’s team had too many older players just like last year. Against Melbourne the balance was better. The coaches are obviously looking for the right balance. Hopefully R0 the mix is more like the Melbourne game. This will be bad news for Prestia Graham McIntosh Grimes and even Short. After both the practice games the results appear to support more than just a few new players in the lineup.
Good call!

My expectations for 2024 are pretty low sadly.

Where will our goals come from.

We won't consistently be able to put a score on the board, we will have our purple patches in attack, but it won't be sustained, and I don't see us kicking winning scores very often.

Without Lynch I am very worried, our other talls seemed to be knocked off the ball to easily and don't use their size in contests. Balta maybe an exception.

Jeepers calm down FFS

We kicked poorly, should have been 5 goals up early in the game, we still managed to generate plenty of shots on goal. Its hardly panic stations.

I will add, the midfield mix is confusing to me, how can 2-3 coach's think playing 3 inside mids as your starting midfield is a good idea? Hops, TT and Prestia should rarely be in the centre square at the same time. If they want those guys playing mid, start 1/2 of them at HFF swapping after the bounce with the likes of Dusty or Shai.

Kosi is getting hammered which is fair to an extent, but atleast he had a crack and crashed some packs. Its up to our smalls to capatalise on that. Lefau potentially takes his spot?

Steely should of played from the start as should have Ross.

Pickett been our best and most consistent thus far, killing it on the wing which is a pleasant suprise.

LYNCH is key!
Pretty spot on Morro

To be writing him, or any player, off after 2 scratch matches where we're trying to implement a new game plan is ridiculous. Especially when the games are being played with 28+ players as Yze takes a good look at who fits best into his best 23 moving forward.

I wouldn't be writing anyone off until we're at least half way through the season. Everyone talks about how we could do a GWS and make the top 4 in Yzes first year, but they seem to forget that after 12 games last season GWS were in 15th with a 4-8 record and sat below us on the ladder, before things finally clicked for them and they got on a roll.

Reading through this thread it seems like a lot of people got a bit of a wake up call as to where things really are at, when it comes to how well we're going to go this season. At the same time it seems like some are still yet to realize that but they soon will when the season proper begins.
Two variances between us and GWS.

1) We are implementing a system with Yze that will not take us long to learn because we already implement a lot of it vs GWS.

2) GWS are more talented as a list than us last year vs us this year. They have an insane pool of talent now and have mined top 20 draft picks. We are losing our former gods and are holding onto past peak ones (Lynch, Martin, Prestia) who will be nowhere near say their 2019/20 selves.

I hope I am proven wrong and we hit top 4. If we did we could trade out a few role players with enhanced value to get some top end draft picks to keep refreshing the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being at shitkon park. Man that is one terrible stadium to watch footy. Shithouse angles. Guess why it's now only for praccy, reserves and womens. When i got home watched it again on KAYO just to reinforce what i saw or missed.

I was very happy with the first qtr, all over them for little return. 1 goal 7 behinds at one stage to 1 point. Should have been min 4 goals.

2nd and 3rd qtrs seemed like our system broke down. Not enough hard running. Pies seemed to just waltz around the ground.
4th qtr did look better at times when Shai went in there and Ross got some ball too,

Was happy with naismith, dow (needs to kick a bit more only had 4 and 16 handballs) and gibbo.

Baker tried his guts out all night. Taranto and short did ok also.

Midfield looks very one paced. When shai went in their in the last we had some spark.

Interesting to see who gets the nod for the small forwards. In the ressies Cumberland kicked 3 goals and had 3 goal assists. Took some strong overhead marks also. Moved up the ground and provided some spark. Lefau who I really like came on in the last and looked nervy, a deer in headlights.

Campbell gonna be a player. Has those traits that you look for. Steely has a new resolve, doesn't mind the tough stuff.
But neither made a real impact at goals. Campbell zero tackles, Green 1 and Lefau 0

For the talls, Kosi needs to move and present. Bit to static. Balta looked likely at times but geez some of the kicks coming in didnt go to their advantage. Easy pickings for pies defenders.

What worries me are the same usual suspects who make the same basic mistakes. So much for emphasis on kicking skills.

Just on the pies they do a lot of 20-30 meter precession kicking and then put the jets on. They open up the ground and their players seem to have so much space. Taranto mentioned something after the game re pies easy passes where we did do a lot of chasing and perhaps got tired towards the end.

Prestia, Taranto, Hopper, Graham, even Dusty are not fast moving mids. Ross another.

Dow, Bolton and Baker are.

On the plus side this match means stuff all and we'll learn a lot about this match going into the season proper.

Last edited:
I think our players genuinely hate playing in warm weather especially jack graham

inb4 gold coast is 30 degrees on saturday week evening

I thought we were told Dusty was having his best preseason and looked bloody sharp.

He was putrid yesterday, wasn't the only one though.

Hopper & Kosi are VFL level.

Ross needs to play and the fact he came from the bench has me concerned about where the club sees him. He had 7 possessions in the limited game time.

Prestia was just as wasteful as Hopper, couldn't find a target all game.

Our mids are slow as ****.

Think last night was the wake up call that a lot of fans needed to have after the Melbourne game fostered a lot of hope that things might not be as dire. Last night we had pretty much our best 23 in the side minus Nankervis Lynch & Vlastuin and after a promising first quarter we were unable to really match it with the reigning premiers as one would expect, even for a practice match.

For those expecting a GWS like season, lets keep in mind that they were 4-8 after 12 rounds and it was only once they managed to get on a roll did they become a top 8 contender and eventual top 4 side. Right now we're a bottom 6 side, with a rookie coach, trying to implement a new game plan, with multiple players being asked to play in unfamiliar positions, while also looking to inject new blood into a somewhat stale line up, where a lot of fans are still believing that premiership heroes from 2020 can still play at the same level or better than they did back then. Some of them can, but the majority are starting to decline. Half a step slower, more prone to injury concerns, hunger not the same as it was.

IMO Yze is likely to start with a majority of the side being experienced players with a sprinkling of youth as it will give us the best chance to implement his game style to a level that will at least allow us to remain somewhat competitive and not become the next WCE. This year is a transition year and unless there is a remarkable turnaround where everything clicks and they players nail the game plan I can't see us being a top 8 contender.

For mine wins and losses mean little this year, what is more important is that the development of the next generation as well as the fringe players from the premiership sides stepping up to become the new leaders. That means that the likes of: Daniel Baker Graham Young Bolton Balta Mansell Koschitzke Ross Ryan Cumberland Dow Ralphsmith Bauer Trezise Maurice Sonsie Banks Gibcus Brown Clarke Green Smith & Campbell must be put in positions that allow them to either step up or fail. That is what will give Yze Hartley & Clarke a clear picture of what our list needs to return to being a genuine premiership contender.

That very well may mean that we tread water or even go backwards this year, but we've set ourselves up in terms of draft assets to be aggressive in making changes moving forward. Long term vision & patience is what is needed this year, not short term ambitions of last shots at glory

learnings from game

Dow - huge positive. super quick reflexes & game sense. Has to play rd 1
Kosi - can't expect much. We just need a contest every time
Balta - I think has to be a defender. The Gibcus / Balta combo is the future & could be next Rance / Astbury
Cumbo - see above, just has to work. He is reliable in front of goal... nobody else is
Dusty - love him, but like the past 2 seasons still prone to some blunderous brain farts with ball in the hand that are costly

I thought we were told Dusty was having his best preseason and looked bloody sharp.

He was putrid yesterday, wasn't the only one though.

Hopper & Kosi are VFL level.

Ross needs to play and the fact he came from the bench has me concerned about where the club sees him. He had 7 possessions in the limited game time.

Prestia was just as wasteful as Hopper, couldn't find a target all game.

Our mids are slow as *.

Im not sure why we persist with a slow midfield. Surely it's ceiling is very low (we aint winning a final with it). In 2022 we went with Bolton, Baker, Short etc in there that would get smashed at times, but atleast were dangerous going forward. Adding Hopper, Taranto, Martin in 2023 did not improve it. Now that Dow looks decent, play Bolton, Baker, Short with one of the slower guys (I honestly wouldnt play more than 1 of Prestia Martin, Taranto and Hopper in the middle, we will likely play all 4) . I know Yze kind of has to start the season with the big names, hopefully he works it out early. If GC get on top of our midfield early, like they did at Marvel last season, the first game could get very ugly, maybe as bad as Brissy last season.

learnings from game

Dow - huge positive. super quick reflexes & game sense. Has to play rd 1
Kosi - can't expect much. We just need a contest every time
Balta - I think has to be a defender. The Gibcus / Balta combo is the future & could be next Rance / Astbury
Cumbo - see above, just has to work. He is reliable in front of goal... nobody else is
Dusty - love him, but like the past 2 seasons still prone to some blunderous brain farts with ball in the hand that are costly

Definetly should go with Balta back. Then Young could be like Grimes was as well. It would mean Broad and Grimes are done in the seniors as Vlas will play (Trezise to replace him at some point), I'd like to see Yze making calls like that though.

As for Cumbo, he was awful infront of goal last season.

We're not reactionary at all in here are we? :$

Last game Balta was probably BOG and in for a huge year forward, this week he should be a defender again.
Going to be a long year mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back