Game Day Pre Season Richmond vs Collingwood 6:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adds to our lack or athleticism. At some point we need to prioritise speed in our fringe players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's becoming a huge worry.99% of our mids are not that quick.
Yze having a laugh if he wants Shai too play more as a fwd.

Im not sure why we persist with a slow midfield. Surely it's ceiling is very low (we aint winning a final with it). In 2022 we went with Bolton, Baker, Short etc in there that would get smashed at times, but atleast were dangerous going forward. Adding Hopper, Taranto, Martin in 2023 did not improve it. Now that Dow looks decent, play Bolton, Baker, Short with one of the slower guys (I honestly wouldnt play more than 1 of Prestia Martin, Taranto and Hopper in the middle, we will likely play all 4) . I know Yze kind of has to start the season with the big names, hopefully he works it out early. If GC get on top of our midfield early, like they did at Marvel last season, the first game could get very ugly, maybe as bad as Brissy last season.

We need to move Bolton back to the middle, with Taranto, Baker, Dow. Move Dusty back to the forward line because i have lost a little bit of faith in Dusty playing pure mid (maybe 60/40 Fwd/Mid). We need to find another crumbing forward and I would play Cumberland, sick of seeing him miss out, people carry on about flaws in his game but sorry from what I saw yesterday we have more flaws elsewhere to worry about.

Ross & Banks to play on the wing, relying on Pickett and McIntosh is not moving forward.

Our forward line of Lynch, Balta, Cumberland, Dusty with rotating small forwards or resting of Bolton is far more damaging than what we have seen atm.

Yze talks about us no longer looking at past glories, well his team selections need to match what he says too.

Thoughts on Shai?
Needs to stop the showboating and get on with it.
Gotta be one of our most frustrating players
Just goes for highlights when it’s not needed and ends up spoiling teammates or running himself into trouble

I’m hoping he was just using the game as a way to sure up his match fitness and not how he plans on playing during the season proper

We need to move Bolton back to the middle, with Taranto, Baker, Dow. Move Dusty back to the forward line because i have lost a little bit of faith in Dusty playing pure mid (maybe 60/40 Fwd/Mid). We need to find another crumbing forward and I would play Cumberland, sick of seeing him miss out, people carry on about flaws in his game but sorry from what I saw yesterday we have more flaws elsewhere to worry about.

Ross & Banks to play on the wing, relying on Pickett and McIntosh is not moving forward.

Our forward line of Lynch, Balta, Cumberland, Dusty with rotating small forwards or resting of Bolton is far more damaging than what we have seen atm.

Yze talks about us no longer looking at past glories, well his team selections need to match what he says too.

I think we will start with a more senior team, but would think by the end of the season Pickett, McIntosh, Prestia, Grimes, maybe Broad have all been replaced. Hopefully we get good seasons out of Dusty and Lynch but who knows, the team could look very different by the end of the season.

I wonder if we could play McAuliffe as a small forward at AFL level just to get him into the side? Clearly has a burst of pace, tackles well and knows where the goals are.

I'd say he's shown more than Campbell and Steely at this stage, but both are ahead in the pecking order due to positional needs.
I would just pick McAuliffe and bring him to play midfield. Hopper, Graham & Prestia are just too slow. Hopper can play VFL but i know the club wont, because it will admit the trade was a bust and we are stuck with him for another 4 years.

I'd trade him, maybe Geelong are still interested.

I think we will start with a more senior team, but would think by the end of the season Pickett, McIntosh, Prestia, Grimes, maybe Broad have all been replaced. Hopefully we get good seasons out of Dusty and Lynch but who knows, the team could look very different by the end of the season.
Broad looked lazy yesterday, if he no longer wants to play, he can sit in the VFL as well. Get games into Brown.

Sam Mitchell nearly died from laughter when news broke we took Kosi.

That narrative would be true except the Hawks had a 1-year contract offer in front of him. I don’t know why anyone is remotely concerned about Kosi … he’s 198cm and can play forward, pinch hit ruck or perhaps even move into defence if he fails as a forward.

Worst case he sits in the VFL for majority of the next 3-years as a back up tall for when injuries hit - given we have up a garbage draft pick and he’s not on huge coin who really cares?

Vickery was a head case involved with bikies and massive debts requiring standover men, on top of being paid big money by the Hawks (at the time). We got Bolton with the Vickery compensation pick.

Not even remotely similar even if Kosi is a bust.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Definetly should go with Balta back. Then Young could be like Grimes was as well. It would mean Broad and Grimes are done in the seniors as Vlas will play (Trezise to replace him at some point), I'd like to see Yze making calls like that though.

As for Cumbo, he was awful infront of goal last season.

8 goals and 8 behinds. Ave about a goal a game and thought he did have an average year compared to late 2022 but still snagged a goal a game.
23 tackles, ave almost 3 a game which is what you want. A myth he doesn't provide pressure, he does and tackles.

traditional yellow jumper with black sash /black cuffs and black collar
We have a traditional yellow jumper now?

It would look awesome if it happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeepers calm down FFS

We kicked poorly, should have been 5 goals up early in the game, we still managed to generate plenty of shots on goal. Its hardly panic stations.

I will add, the midfield mix is confusing to me, how can 2-3 coach's think playing 3 inside mids as your starting midfield is a good idea? Hops, TT and Prestia should rarely be in the centre square at the same time. If they want those guys playing mid, start 1/2 of them at HFF swapping after the bounce with the likes of Dusty or Shai.

Kosi is getting hammered which is fair to an extent, but atleast he had a crack and crashed some packs. Its up to our smalls to capatalise on that. Lefau potentially takes his spot?

Steely should of played from the start as should have Ross.

Pickett been our best and most consistent thus far, killing it on the wing which is a pleasant suprise.

LYNCH is key!

Was I at a different game? Pickett was absolute garbage. Made 2-3 very basic skill errors as well as easy dropped marks which cost goals and gave up all momentum. He’s a clanger king which you just can’t afford playing on the wing. He always does a few good things, but if anyone says he was anything but rank last night they’re kidding themselves.

I'm actually more annoyed today than i was yesterday watching it LMAO

I know it was preseason but once we kicked 1.7 we decided it was all too hard.

That narrative would be true except the Hawks had a 1-year contract offer in front of him. I don’t know why anyone is remotely concerned about Kosi … he’s 198cm and can play forward, pinch hit ruck or perhaps even move into defence if he fails as a forward.

Worst case he sits in the VFL for majority of the next 3-years as a back up tall for when injuries hit - given we have up a garbage draft pick and he’s not on huge coin who really cares?

Vickery was a head case involved with bikies and massive debts requiring standover men, on top of being paid big money by the Hawks (at the time). We got Bolton with the Vickery compensation pick.

Not even remotely similar even if Kosi is a bust.

Not concerned but I will be if he is getting games ahead of Cumberland. Right now, Cumberland can at least take a contested mark even if he isn't 198cm.

I’m concerned with team balance. If Baker has been training as a mid, then how on earth does it all work given it’s clear TT, Hopper, Prestia and Dow are pure mids and can’t play elsewhere?

I fear it means our best and most dynamic midfielder Bolton is rarely going to play there. And Martin will end up being shunted back up forward as well.

I’d look to play Hopper, TT and Dow with about 70% game time. Have them super fresh whenever they are injected into the game. This frees up more midfield minutes for Bolton, Baker and Martin. Our midfield speed isn’t our strength, but our midfield depth can be. If our guys are running as fast at the end of the game as at the start speed won’t be a factor.

I’d also give Prestia the ‘Lambert’ role. He can play this role covering for Bolton and Martin, who should be attending 12-14 CBA’s each game (out of 25). Lambert wasn’t quick but he was creative and a gut runner like Prestia. With Graham out Prestia can fill that role - we simply don’t need him or have room for him playing inside mid.

So there is a total of approx 75 x CBA’s a game for mids (25 x 3) - my mix would be:

TT: 15
Bolton: 14
Martin: 12
Hopper: 11
Dow: 10
Baker: 8
Prestia: 5

Dow, Baker and Bolton have the extra leg speed, and we need one of them at least at every CB.

Balta took a couple of bloody good contested marks i50 , squandered both chances , neither easy , still
It’s important to note that Yze left the forward structure in place the whole game. Obviously he saw that giving time for the forwards to work together was more important than winning

As good as they were at finding the footy we didn’t flag with Jackson and the late Shane Tuck and we ain’t winning one with Hopper and Taranto particualrly when coupled with a ageing Prestia . Edwards , Cotchin and even Lambert had evasiveness that hopper in particualrly will never have and I don’t think Prestia will have for the rest of his career . Dow , Ross , baker showed in the last quarter where the future lies with a bit of zip and ball use .

We have a traditional yellow jumper now?

It would look awesome if it happened.
no we have fluro

last nights one has red on the inside thats why it looks darker

reversible training jumper

We need speed at the stoppage
We are in for a long season if we go with Taranto, Hopper, prestia, Graham.
I dont want botlon anywhere near the forward line

bloke thinks hes michael jordan playing basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back