Preview Prelim Final Geelong v Brisbane Fri 16 Sept, 7:50pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

That is absolutely terrifying to watch, I hope those were the few exceptions. The other way to phrase that with an inch of composure and vision Collingwood had free players everywhere.
Did you not see the handful of times Collingwood found free men inside 50 or around half forward? Then another dozen times where it's paid off for Geelong. This is how we defend. With the best % in the comp, you'd have to say overall it works.

In my opinion, the ability to change and adapt on the fly is something we excel at because of the sheer amount of experience on the list. It looks random and thrown together in games but in actual fact it's several structures being used at the same time, only made possible because a large majority of our players have played hundreds of AFL games. Teams with less experience can't do what we do.

Guthrie battling a glute injury, had some needling today is quite sore at this stage.
Thats unfortunate news that

I didnt think he moved that flash at all against Coll - and that explains it

You can only take what people say - but Bomber when he was on Fox Footy segment with Rodney Eade - so he hadnt gone off the rails at that stage - but he said if Gary Ablett was sore and in doubt to play - hed go down to that Eastern Beach and stand in that salt water to midnight - if it meant playing on the weekend

Cam?
Surely he won’t play then. If he plays it’s a massive risk he makes it worse.

Why are people so quick to believe anything and everything some random says on an Internet forum. Oh btw Tom Hawkins back is flaring up , been getting worked on all week looking like he won’t get up

Did you not see the handful of times Collingwood found free men inside 50 or around half forward? Then another dozen times where it's paid off for Geelong. This is how we defend. With the best % in the comp, you'd have to say overall it works.

Lets go through the three Clips

1) Collingwood have the ball stationary

Stewart leaves his man from the fat side wing to cover the corridor space, Collingwood have a chance to move a the ball to the fat side by kicking long to the the fat side HBF, the Geelong forward is giving the Collingwood defender space, if the Collingwood player market the ball then they'd have a brief window for a 2 on 1 against Holmes. Collingwood player decides to play save and kicks short to the HBF on the skinny side, from this point we have a plus one, Stewart is 20 metres free blocking the corridor covering Duncan's opponent, Holmes runs had to cover Stewart's Opponent in D50. Leaving his opponent freeish in the centre of the ground, it does open to an aggressive switch that not many players would attempt.

2) Elliot is in no mans land, Collingwood gave us a free +1, who is covering a long kick through the corridor. By switching the play they took Elliot out of the play, the needed to go short forward then long quick. Kicking it long and high to a 1 on 1 on the boundary didn't do them any favours.

3) The Collingwood player made an awful decision to kick it to the near side pocket, if he kicked it across goals it would have been 3 on 1

Not as bad as it look at first, but not great, 2 and 3 aren't really informative.

I'd have to see multiple examples of number 1 before I'd think it was deliberate

Thats unfortunate news that

I didnt think he moved that flash at all against Coll - and that explains it

You can only take what people say - but Bomber when he was on Fox Footy segment with Rodney Eade - so he hadnt gone off the rails at that stage - but he said if Gary Ablett was sore and in doubt to play - hed go down to that Eastern Beach and stand in that salt water to midnight - if it meant playing on the weekend

If any truth to any of this, can't play Guth when we have a fit Parfitt ready to replace him

Stewart leaves his man from the fat side wing to cover the corridor space, Collingwood have a chance to move a the ball to the fat side by kicking long to the the fat side HBF, the Geelong forward is giving the Collingwood defender space, if the Collingwood player market the ball then they'd have a brief window for a 2 on 1 against Holmes. Collingwood player decides to play save and kicks short to the HBF on the skinny side, from this point we have a plus one, Stewart is 20 metres free blocking the corridor covering Duncan's opponent, Holmes runs had to cover Stewart's Opponent in D50. Leaving his opponent freeish in the centre of the ground, it does open to an aggressive switch that not many players would attempt.

2) Elliot is in no mans land, Collingwood gave us a free +1, who is covering a long kick through the corridor. By switching the play they took Elliot out of the play, the needed to go short forward then long quick. Kicking it long and high to a 1 on 1 on the boundary didn't do them any favours.

3) The Collingwood player made an awful decision to kick it to the near side pocket, if he kicked it across goals it would have been 3 on 1

Not as bad as it look at first, but not great, 2 and 3 aren't really informative.

I'd have to see multiple examples of number 1 before I'd think it was deliberate

I think the point Montagna makes, and what's demonstrated well within that clip, is how we don't have a set defensive structure/game plan at any one time. He highlights how Swans are man on man, and you know Collingwood always like a +1 in defence as that's where they quick rebound with Crisp/Daicos/Pendles etc. Us though, we seem to have a defence that's unpredictable in its almost chaotic fashion.

Sometimes we choose to go man on man. Sometimes we choose a high press. Others we fold back and flood. It's not consistent and it's consistently changing within the same game. It might screw up at some points, but the fact is, we're getting scored on less on turnover than any other team in history since the stat started getting recorded. That is mighty impressive, and shows whatever we're doing is working - and working very well.

We are top 3 in points against and also have the lowest score against from turnovers in history. Does our defensive strategy really need to be questioned?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point isn't necessarily around the clips Montagna showed but how we set up and defend in general. On a second and third watch of the match I was having trouble even following match ups with how often our defenders rolled onto new opponents or covered different space depending on what they saw ahead.

There's no doubt like any rolling zone type defence where players have license to sag off, holes will appear that can be exploited. Collingwood did just that a bunch of times and failed a bunch of others. Generally it seems our players are backed in to create outnumbers or apply heat to turn it over in such situations before the free man can be found.

Is there an alternative method you would prefer?

I've got a close source to the Guthrie situation. Apparently it got lost in translation, he's actually had a glue issue while doing some DIY at home. He's off to Bunnings and his project will be completed before Friday.
I heard from a trusted source it was a gluten issue...and he's just been farting a lot :tearsofjoy:

Needling is also just a treatment to release muscles (I believe) he could be sore from a big session Friday and has just taken longer to shake out the heavy feeling/tightness and has had treatment to release it

Which probably goes on multiple times every single week at every single club, particularly at this time of year when they have heavily fatigued bodies from the entire season in them

Maybe we wait for the teams before people stress unnecessarily

Needling is also just a treatment to release muscles (I believe) he could be sore from a big session Friday and has just taken longer to shake out the heavy feeling/tightness and has had treatment to release it

Which probably goes on multiple times every single week at every single club, particularly at this time of year when they have heavily fatigued bodies from the entire season in them

Maybe we wait for the teams before people stress unnecessarily

Betts said tonight they trained hard and basically did match sim last Friday.

My point isn't necessarily around the clips Montagna showed but how we set up and defend in general. On a second and third watch of the match I was having trouble even following match ups with how often our defenders rolled onto new opponents or covered different space depending on what they saw ahead.

There's no doubt like any rolling zone type defence where players have license to sag off, holes will appear that can be exploited. Collingwood did just that a bunch of times and failed a bunch of others. Generally it seems our players are backed in to create outnumbers or apply heat to turn it over in such situations before the free man can be found.

Is there an alternative method you would prefer?

Can you give me a years worth of behind the goals footage before I decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back