Review Preliminary Final, 2022 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We were just gassed out. Kept pace with them first quarter and then couldn't find the extra gears once they got on top.

Sad ending to a good season but well done to the team for getting this far.

Last edited:
I don't think any of us realistically thought we'd get to a Prelim, so even though last night was a terrible result I feel proud with what the boys have achieved overall...there were certainly enough hiccups along the way.

Last night will sting for a while but onwards and upwards to next year.....we don't give up, we keep trying.

One thing that really impressed me was how quickly Geelong changed gears from defending to attacking. The game seemed so laboured and slow when we had the ball and as soon as they won it back they were inside 50 in a flash. Even when hitting short chip kicks it was with pace and they always had an extra overlapping target to kick to.

I was very impressed by Chris Scott in his press conference. One thing that really stood out is how confident he was in his teams physical preparation for this game, he credits players missing footy during the early/middle part of the season as the reason they are so fresh. I think having a clean run with injury all year may actually worked against us over the last few seasons. In finals we're playing guys who have played 20-22 games, I think having a group of 5 or 6 guys in the team who have played less than 15 games could actually give a physical edge. I believe this was the case at Richmond in 2017 and 2019 too.

Daniher was quite fantastic at the start of the year and I’m holding out hope that with an injury free preseason he will replicate that and a smaller forward line will help him roam better. Went a long way to us winning games early this year.

BUT…

His post-injury output has been worrying and the flopping is incredibly frustrating. Barely touched in that 3rd qtr and went straight to ground, meanwhile 2 cats players waltzed out for another attacking rebound.

I hate Geelong for being a pack of duckers, I hate WB for being a pack of throwers, I hated Lindsay Thomas for being a soccer player and I hate to watch anyone on our team act the same.

If he sorts that shoulder and the attitude we are immediately closer to a flag

Daniher was quite fantastic at the start of the year and I’m holding out hope that with an injury free preseason he will replicate that and a smaller forward line will help him roam better. Went a long way to us winning games early this year.

BUT…

His post-injury output has been worrying and the flopping is incredibly frustrating. Barely touched in that 3rd qtr and went straight to ground, meanwhile 2 cats players waltzed out for another attacking rebound.

I hate Geelong for being a pack of duckers, I hate WB for being a pack of throwers, I hated Lindsay Thomas for being a soccer player and I hate to watch anyone on our team act the same.

If he sorts that shoulder and the attitude we are immediately closer to a flag
Tbh I thought that contest in the third was clearly a holding the man free he got dragged completely off it. Seems to have a reputation in the umpires minds though (similar to how they view charlie for what ever reason) so he rarely gets them.

Why we didn't just move Ah Chee down back to play on their loose man when he was providing nothing is a mystery.

One thing that really impressed me was how quickly Geelong changed gears from defending to attacking. The game seemed so laboured and slow when we had the ball and as soon as they won it back they were inside 50 in a flash. Even when hitting short chip kicks it was with pace and they always had an extra overlapping target to kick to.

I was very impressed by Chris Scott in his press conference. One thing that really stood out is how confident he was in his teams physical preparation for this game, he credits players missing footy during the early/middle part of the season as the reason they are so fresh. I think having a clean run with injury all year may actually worked against us over the last few seasons. In finals we're playing guys who have played 20-22 games, I think having a group of 5 or 6 guys in the team who have played less than 15 games could actually give a physical edge. I believe this was the case at Richmond in 2017 and 2019 too.
Good point. They looked like Melbourne in 2021 as fresh as daisies last night and we looked tired and worn out.

I'm not sure how you plan for that but if they did it was exceptionally well orchestrated.

At the game - I though there was so many opportunities to use ah chee and the just didn’t. Got lose an on his own often but the chose not to use him. Rich did this numerous time from the backline.

On another note I felt we didn’t move the ball across the park side to side like we should instead we opted let’s just kick it to Stewart. When will they realise if we have possession the opposition won’t. Be patient and create a gap to open by switching it around.

Anyway you could tell with the Geelong spreed and pace and out turn overs we were never in it. 70 odd points flattered us really.

Looking forward to next year and seeing how we can adapt and evolve. It’s clear we need some change and those that are now being given games need to be required to earn them!

At the game - I though there was so many opportunities to use ah chee and the just didn’t. Got lose an on his own often but the chose not to use him. Rich did this numerous time from the backline.

On another note I felt we didn’t move the ball across the park side to side like we should instead we opted let’s just kick it to Stewart. When will they realise if we have possession the opposition won’t. Be patient and create a gap to open by switching it around.

Anyway you could tell with the Geelong spreed and pace and out turn overs we were never in it. 70 odd points flattered us really.

Looking forward to next year and seeing how we can adapt and evolve. It’s clear we need some change and those that are now being given games need to be required to earn them!
Yeah I was really disappointed we didn't use the switch as we did in the previous 2 games.

Zorko was instrumental in some of that and clearly last night he just wasn't right and had to go off. That really hurt us. But I did notice Ah Chee and others on their own on a few occasions and we chose not to go to them but to bomb it further into a 2 vs 3. No idea why. Whatever ,it didn't work.

Yeah I was really disappointed we didn't use the switch as we did in the previous 2 games.

Zorko was instrumental in some of that and clearly last night he just wasn't right and had to go off. That really hurt us. But I did notice Ah Chee and others on their own on a few occasions and we chose not to go to them but to bomb it further into a 2 vs 3. No idea why. Whatever ,it didn't work.

Didn’t help that when we did try aggressive ball movement we missed the target or players dropped a mark they should have taken (cal, Eric).

Basically everything was bad about the performance other than some of the defenders doing an ok job in the circumstances.

Not many positives from last night
Geelong were awesome but the Lions were well below our last two games performance

However we did reach a PF so we are a top 4 team in 2022

Reaching a PF is good for sponsorship and membership going into 2023
Should also guarantee similar primetime viewing slots as 2022

Guys have a good break from footy and come back in good shape for 2023

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good point. They looked like Melbourne in 2021 as fresh as daisies last night and we looked tired and worn out.

I'm not sure how you plan for that but if they did it was exceptionally well orchestrated.
Managing players, giving players an extra week to come back from injury, trusting depth to get the job done against the lesser sides. The Cats definitely planned for it all season. They've even said as much.

Our good run with injury over the last few seasons has been a blessing during the regular season but it probably has meant that we've gone into finals series with a squad largely carrying heavy legs due to playing a full season of footy.

Commiserations on the loss guys, we have had our fair share of losing prelims (and getting thumped in prelims) so we know how it feels.

Your win last week was a huge monkey off your back and can propel you one step further next year IMO.

Hope Lachie wins the Brownlow tomorrow! Good luck next season 👍
Cheers mate. Beating Melbourne was good, but the old "MCG hoodoo" was just lazy journalism.

Since we returned to finals, we'd played 2 or 3 grand finalists there (no shame losing those), and only 2 games that weren't- Hawthorne when 2020 season was cancelled at half time, and Essendon when we lost 9 starters to covid. Never was a thing.

Cheers mate. Beating Melbourne was good, but the old "MCG hoodoo" was just lazy journalism.

Since we returned to finals, we'd played 2 or 3 grand finalists there (no shame losing those), and only 2 games that weren't- Hawthorne when 2020 season was cancelled at half time, and Essendon when we lost 9 starters to covid. Never was a thing.

Essendon was a home game, not at the MCG

Managing players, giving players an extra week to come back from injury, trusting depth to get the job done against the lesser sides. The Cats definitely planned for it all season. They've even said as much.

Our good run with injury over the last few seasons has been a blessing during the regular season but it probably has meant that we've gone into finals series with a squad largely carrying heavy legs due to playing a full season of footy.
Been a criticism of mine for a while. We rely on a best 22 too much and don't manage and rotate well. We wear out a few and don't develop the depth enough

Didn’t get a send off…. would you have played him tonight to get a send off?
Pretty poor by Mitch… sink the boots in the second the siren goes. I love Robbo but that is pretty poor taste on his behalf.
They should have given him his send off the game against Melbourne. He has every right to be pi##%d off Nothing poor at all about his reaction.

See this is exactly why what Mitch has done is a bit unprofessional as it is confusing people. He hasn't said he is retiring, yet that is what the majority of people are going to think. Players who aren't retiring don't generally get to do big "I'm leaving" announcement - name one.
He wasn’t allowed to announced his retirement. Mundy announced his retirement.

He wasn’t allowed to announced his retirement. Mundy announced his retirement.

Where has he said he is retiring?

Back