Game Day Preliminary Final: Hawthorn v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I went in not expecting to win the 2008 grand final, but started to believe the impossible was possible at the half time break.

My point that i raised where some Geelong supporters are playing the "we are the underdogs due to ladder position and our current form" and media also playing up the Hawthorn as favourites tag.... but really thinking Geelong will get over the line due to us not being able to beat Geelong for years now. Only for them to stick the boots in SHOULD we lose and say we knew we would win all along - is going to happen.

I can only hope Geelong have an off night and we don't let the foot off their throats if we do get an early advantage.

Been trying not to get too excited all week, but as the media have been pumping us up I am getting more nervous! I am useless at work today, and will be pacing around until the bounce at 7.50pm!

As I said to a Hawk-loving mate yesterday, logic says we should win and win comfortably, but so much of the immeasurable part of sport is played between the ears!

I will pray to whoever and whatever will listen to me for a win tonight...it just has to happen! I will be ecstatic for any win by the Hawks, but my wish is for a thumping, crushing, soul-destroying defeat of the Cats!

I reckon I must've woken up only about a dozen times during the night! Very very toey...

Kept waking up too, i dont remember being this nervous and excited about a game for a long time.

We have to win. There are no more excuses. I mean the club will have some major egg on its face if we were to lose, after they have described we are in the best form in a very long time to beat the Cats and go on and win the flag. We just have too.

I dont even want to think about what happens if we dont. And this whole curse thing, well, I saw the snipets in the media of Jeff saying what he said after the 08 flag. The interesting thing I did get out of this and it really only occurred to me now, is that Jeff said 'We beat the Geelong FC when it matters" WHEN IT MATTERS. These are the words that stood out. Well Hawthorn it matters massively tonight, so please convert these words into actions!!

It has to happen tonight or this will drag on for a very long time.

C'MON HAWKS!! TIME IS NOW!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losing tonight makes us as bad as Port in the early 2000s IMO. Will be so sweet to beat Geelong again in a knockout final. Go Hawks!!!

I went in not expecting to win the 2008 grand final, but started to believe the impossible was possible at the half time break.

My point that i raised where some Geelong supporters are playing the "we are the underdogs due to ladder position and our current form" and media also playing up the Hawthorn as favourites tag.... but really thinking Geelong will get over the line due to us not being able to beat Geelong for years now. Only for them to stick the boots in SHOULD we lose and say we knew we would win all along - is going to happen.

I can only hope Geelong have an off night and we don't let the foot off their throats if we do get an early advantage.

I can understand some of your sentiments and really hope we don't give the smug bastards anything to celebrate.

But I'm not hoping for Geelong to have an off night - I'm hoping for us to play in a way that will beat any opposition even if they're playing to the best of their ability.

I am wearing my Hawks socks that I bought awhile ago for the first time today.... tonight they may become my lucky socks. - I like this!

If you could take away/ignore the previous 11 games no-one would be even giving Geelong a chance tonight. The boys will be up for this.

Hi All,

Apologies for the intrusion, but as an opposition supporter, I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck for tonight.

I will be genuinely and vociferously supporting Hawthorn in tonight's match and if successful, next week also. The Hawks are the best team in the competition, that is clear. Certainly the most talented, but as we know talent doesnt guarantee success. I see however a real steely resolve about the Hawks this year and I believe Number 11 is imminent...

As a youngster growing up in here in Perth, all I knew was WCE. However at the same time, my love and passion for the game lead me to read all of the history books on Australian Rules Football, the VFL etc. I found the Hawthorn story inspiring, how a downtrodden and beaten club transformed itself under the guidance of some of the greatest men involved in our game to become a modern powerhouse. In fact, one of my earliest and most vivid memories of footy was as a 6 year old in early 1994, the Hawks had come to Subiaco and belted the Eagles. I declared to my parents that I would no longer be supporting WCE, I would now support Hawthorn! Needless to say that did not last :p but I have always admired the Hawks.

Enough of my rambling, its time to end all this "curse" rubbish and crush those Cats tonight! :)
Was at that game in '94, 'twas a belting! Loved it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back