Game Day Preliminary Final: Hawthorn v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Friday all, its been a long long week, hopefully today moves along at a steady pace, cant ever remember being so nervous about a game, we must start well, the first 10 minutes in this is going to be huge, they will throw everything at us, we need to be able to soak them up, taken the sting out of them, then bury them, going forward we need to make sure that we make the likes of Taylor, Bartel etc defend first before thinking about attacking, that means being smart with our delivery to the forwards, might be stating the obvious but I can smell a dead set epic tonight, even for a Hawks / Cats game. GO HAWKS

Needed to throw back a sleeping pill.

Now to the game. I reckon Lewis/Whitex to Bartel, and Shiels to Selwood.

These 2 guy's have destroyed us every single game. If we can somewhat limit there impact, we win.

Had virtually no sleep, so tried to project myself forward 9 days...

These are the Headlines for our 2013 Finals Series, and it all seemed destined to occur this way in hindsight:

vs Syd: Destroyed the '12 GF conqueror
vs Geel: Broke the curse with authority, in a way that surprised most (and on win 11 to notch up Flag #11)
vs Freo: Shackles off, the day a pure celebration of the Hawthorn Football Club

Also, HFC takes the title of "WA Dream Destroyer".

1991: West Coast, now 2013: Dockers. Both teams learnt their first and biggest Football lesson at the hands of the Mighty Hawks.

Like I said in another thread, a Finals Series to look back on with reverence...

Has anyone figured out who the ins and outs are for both teams from when we last met?

PS - Bring it on you pussie cats!!!

Hawthorn:

In: Shiels, Birchall, Guerra
Out: Savage, Duryea, Simpkin

Geelong:

In: Varcoe, Rivers, Vardy, Johnson
Out: Enright, T Hunt, Simpson, Stringer

Just wishes the game was over and we won... Any other team I be looking forward to the game and would have gone, but I couldn't handle another loss to this mob and especially this game that will take us to a GF or exit us from the finals!

Varcoe and Jonson are huge ins....

Varcoe? Really? The squib panics under pressure and isn't a good user of the ball. The only thing that troubles us is his speed.

But yeah, Johnson is.

Simpson is a crucial out for them, their number 1 ruckman considering McIntosh hasn't played all year.

I don't need to say how big of an out Enright is.

For Hawthorn, that is reassuring. Our best run with player, an AA defender and one of the best final players around who won't relent, all IN.

As much of a career Duryea and Sav have in the future, and to a lesser extent Simpkin, I would definitely rather the ins playing for us in the 2013 finals.

We have shown for 5 years either an insurmountable mental problem or an insurmountable tactical problem against the cats. Probably half our guys have never played in a winning team. You only have to look at selwood's and scarlett's comments this week (and sanderson's tip this morning) to know the cats are licking their lips to play us. Mitchell is right that our record against Geelong is a big black mark against us in an otherwise successful period. This game will define whether our boys are mentally weak because this time around there is no doubt we are the better team. But if it's close, we will lose, no ifs or buts. We need to be up by 50 plus at 3 quarter time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must admit I feel buoyed by Geelong supporters and their attutude towards the finals. Perhaps they know deep in their hearts that they just can't beat us anymore, or perhaps they're too scared to face Fremantle the following week, but it appears like they have thrown themselves on their swords and are prepared to back Hawthorn all the way to this year's premiership.

I refer, of course, to their call to arms where so many of them have the number 11 in their avatars, obviously referring to Hawthorn's push for their 11th premiership this year. I get a warm and fuzzy feeling inside when I see these avatars, so when we win tonight, I think we should all go and thank the Geelong fans for helping us to spiritually lift ourselves into premiership heaven. It's the least we could do. :p

Hawthorn:

In: Shiels, Birchall, Guerra
Out: Savage, Duryea, Simpkin

Geelong:

In: Varcoe, Rivers, Vardy, Johnson
Out: Enright, T Hunt, Simpson, Stringer

If anybody wants to know what will be different this time?
The answer is right there.

Tonight will be epic and the Hawks will unleash a fury that the Cats have not seen since 2008. There will be no room for any doubts or nerves or curses. Just controlled mayhem for 4 quarters.

All the Hawks have to do is the simple things better. Buddy does not have to win it off his own boot. Neither does Hodge or Mitchell. Everyone does their job and the Hawks win.

Can't sleep, it's about 1 am here. Haven't given the game too much thought during the week, but now it's just consuming me...surely this time is our time

Going to the Property Council of Australia finals lunch today. Should be good, with Parko the expert on stage. Then will get some tucker at Golden Orchids in Chinatown before heading across to the 'G. Nice way to lead up to tonight's match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back