A Section Premier 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definition of outsider, "a person who is not accepted or who isolates themselves".
This does not apply to anybody at SKOB, old boy or not. Would be surprised if it was any different at any other decent club.

You know exactly what I mean and while the dictionary definition is not what I am implying, this model does in fact lends itself to exactly the type of behaviors you are suggesting.

The things is that SKOBs have players falling out of the trees and surprised they see the need to go down this path. If you have the resources to add some cream then well and good but in my view they have tipped the balance too far. Short-term glory but longer term it may well come back to bite

Penski you claim to be a man of the Collegians variety. I seem to remember your club having a few 'outsiders' over the journey. How's Robbie Warnock going with his new job mate?

I've never said it's necessarily a bad thing, just correcting the definition supplied to be more appropriate to ammo football. There are some teams you think of that you don't associate with outsiders coming for a year or so and blowing back out (these are teams like Trinity, SBMT and DLS as recent examples). Whereas other sides you tend to associate with it happening more regularly (not necessarily in A grade either).

Robbie Warnock is doing great with his new job as a coat rack for the guys down at the Trott.

You have got me tagged incorrectly as I'm not a SKOB supporter however I think your figure of 10 ex AFL players is grossly over exaggerated. I would be surprised if they end up with half that number. The long term effect AFL players have on VAFA teams varies. Some teams have had great success with their ex AFL recruits whilst others have been damaged. Old Hail for example would argue that B Voss and S Leowe have been great for the club with Leowe hanging around post playing career to coach. Salopek at SKOBS is lining up for his 4th or 5th season at the club. The damage to VAFA clubs is when these players don't buy in or think that VAFA footy is easy. I remember OS getting players like Liccuria for three or four games a year. It's those situations that damage clubs. Let's not forget OX topped up in the glory years with the Craig Kelly's, Andrew Leoncelli's, Ben Buckley's, Paul Tuddenham's and Andy Gowers of this world and it set them up for years of dominance in the VAFA.

As most of your posts are about or in defence of SKOBs I would suggest that we have you correctly pegged as a SKOBs man!

The number came directly from a SKOBs insider. The number quoted to me was 9 ex AFL players and I have added Strauss to round it off at 10. They had 3 last season so are you suggesting only 2 more in 2016? If so give me your 5.

Surprised that you would single out those Xavs names as at least 3 (and maybe 4) of the 5 are old boys and in any event their top ups never rivalled the number touted to be at SKOBs this year. Plenty of clubs have dabbled with mixed results but never to this extent. My own view is that they will be almost impossible to beat at full strength this year but long term it will do more harm than good. I also believe that they have enough talent already at their disposal to build a sustainable dynasty rather than go after 1 or 2 season wonders.

I guess only time will tell.

I've never said it's necessarily a bad thing, just correcting the definition supplied to be more appropriate to ammo football. There are some teams you think of that you don't associate with outsiders coming for a year or so and blowing back out (these are teams like Trinity, SBMT and DLS as recent examples). Whereas other sides you tend to associate with it happening more regularly (not necessarily in A grade either).

Robbie Warnock is doing great with his new job as a coat rack for the guys down at the Trott.

If only that were true for the Lions.,.....

As most of your posts are about or in defence of SKOBs I would suggest that we have you correctly pegged as a SKOBs man!

The number came directly from a SKOBs insider. The number quoted to me was 9 ex AFL players and I have added Strauss to round it off at 10. They had 3 last season so are you suggesting only 2 more in 2016? If so give me your 5.

Surprised that you would single out those Xavs names as at least 3 (and maybe 4) of the 5 are old boys and in any event their top ups never rivalled the number touted to be at SKOBs this year. Plenty of clubs have dabbled with mixed results but never to this extent. My own view is that they will be almost impossible to beat at full strength this year but long term it will do more harm than good. I also believe that they have enough talent already at their disposal to build a sustainable dynasty rather than go after 1 or 2 season wonders.

I guess only time will tell.
Not defending skob mate just hate OX and others pointing a finger when they have been at it for years. Pretty sure you will find your 'insider' is speaking crap. They had 3 last season and the only one confirmed in 2016 is Bale.
Your old boy call of the OX variety is a bit skewed as well. Pretty sure Kelly came from SA, Leoncelli and Tuddenham Tassie.
S Salopek hardly a one season wonder will be lining up for his 4th or 5th season I think.

Not defending skob mate just hate OX and others pointing a finger when they have been at it for years. Pretty sure you will find your 'insider' is speaking crap. They had 3 last season and the only one confirmed in 2016 is Bale.
Your old boy call of the OX variety is a bit skewed as well. Pretty sure Kelly came from SA, Leoncelli and Tuddenham Tassie.
S Salopek hardly a one season wonder will be lining up for his 4th or 5th season I think.

I don’t have a particular hate or affection for SKOBs or Xavs so my view is probably a little more bit more balanced than yours. Will give you Kelly but Leoncelli, Tuddenham and Gowers are Melbourne boys who all attended Xavier. Buckley grew up in country Vic but moved to Tassie as a teenager. I’m unsure if he finsished his schooling at Xavier but in any event 3 of the 5 ‘ring ins’ you nominate are actually old boys.

My mail is good. With Jamar’s departure it may not reach 10 but on top of the 3 from last year, plus Bale, Toohey from Geelong is said to be training at SKOBs as is another ex Richmond rookie whose name escapes me. It has been reported that both Bell and Bartrum are keen to play and if Strauss joins them as has been touted we nudging double figure already and it’s still only mid Feb!

I don’t have a particular hate or affection for SKOBs or Xavs so my view is probably a little more bit more balanced than yours. Will give you Kelly but Leoncelli, Tuddenham and Gowers are Melbourne boys who all attended Xavier. Buckley grew up in country Vic but moved to Tassie as a teenager. I’m unsure if he finsished his schooling at Xavier but in any event 3 of the 5 ‘ring ins’ you nominate are actually old boys.

My mail is good. With Jamar’s departure it may not reach 10 but on top of the 3 from last year, plus Bale, Toohey from Geelong is said to be training at SKOBs as is another ex Richmond rookie whose name escapes me. It has been reported that both Bell and Bartrum are keen to play and if Strauss joins them as has been touted we nudging double figure already and it’s still only mid Feb!
Your view might be balanced but your mail is still no good. It is that far off the mark your insider is obviously taking the mick out of you!

Your view might be balanced but your mail is still no good. It is that far off the mark your insider is obviously taking the mick out of you!

Happy to be corrected so please enlighten us as to which ones are incorrect?
(but please try and be a bit more accurate then your previous declarations about Xavier ‘ring ins’)

(but please try and be a bit more accurate then your previous declarations about Xavier ‘ring ins’)
Fact: No Bartram, Bell, Toohey, ex Richmond Rookie or any other ex AFL player training or playing at SKOB.
Fact: Bale only confirmed ex AFL addition in 2016.
Probable: Bale will remain only ex AFL addition in 2016
The fact is other VAFA clubs have recruited more heavily than SKOB they just happen to be flying under the radar as they don't have a BS dribbling rubbish on this forum.

Fact: No Bartram, Bell, Toohey, ex Richmond Rookie or any other ex AFL player training or playing at SKOB.
The fact is other VAFA clubs have recruited more heavily than SKOB they just happen to be flying under the radar as they don't have a BS dribbling rubbish on this forum.

Wow. Intimate knowledge for someone who claims not to be a SKOBs supporter;). However I do appreciate your info and accept it as being factual.

As you seem to be in the know can you positively refute the Strauss claims? While my mail may not be 100%, FF is generally spot on with his.

Toohey was an old boy but would be surprised to see him line up at SKOB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From AFL/VFL ranks or just generally?

Have been told by more than one person he is playing at SKOBs this year. However HBF1 is much closer to the fire than me and suggests he is not.

Well if he does, he would only count as a homegrown player anyway, being an old boy.

FWIW so after reading 5 pages of crap Skob have only recruited Rohan Bail, wow talk about hysteria.
Well! Don't think there's anyone disputing Jamar was going to King but for the Essendon circumstance. Even that eventuality was a close run thing. Haven't noted anyone from SKOB deny they are into Strauss. There is also the signing of someone named Moeller who had at least some AFL affiliation.

So writing it off entirely as crap and hysteria is a tad over the top for what it's worth.;)

On another over the.....noticed Over The Post back last night. Welcome back and where have you been?

Mitch Hannan will be aligned to a club in the EDFL (Avondale Heights) when not playing in the VFL, pretty big loss for St Bernards considering he was the stand out player, by leaps and bounds, on the ground in the grand final this year.

Mitch Hannan will be aligned to a club in the EDFL (Avondale Heights) when not playing in the VFL, pretty big loss for St Bernards considering he was the stand out player, by leaps and bounds, on the ground in the grand final this year.

Super talent and a big loss although I don’t think he played all that many games last year. Pretty sure he is not a St Bernard’s boy so this was probably on the cards at some stage.

A bit of hysteria on here last week about who is and is not on board at SKOBs this year. Does anyone actually know for sure? Is Strauss heading to T.H King or staying loyal to the Scotchies?

Well! Don't think there's anyone disputing Jamar was going to King but for the Essendon circumstance. Even that eventuality was a close run thing. Haven't noted anyone from SKOB deny they are into Strauss. There is also the signing of someone named Moeller who had at least some AFL affiliation.

So writing it off entirely as crap and hysteria is a tad over the top for what it's worth.;)

On another over the.....noticed Over The Post back last night. Welcome back and where have you been?

You'd have to say Xavs have been the most active in signing decent quality "ring-ins" so far

Thomas, Bruno, Johnston's x 3, Howe, Goss, Noonan

You'd have to say Xavs have been the most active in signing decent quality "ring-ins" so far

Thomas, Bruno, Johnston's x 3, Howe, Goss, Noonan

Yep some real quality there. As well as Bail (and other who have been speculated about) SKOBs have landed Luke Andrews from Box Hill who is gun at VFL level and have lost no one. De La have 4 or 5 really good additions but also a few departures. If true Warnock to Collegians and Thomas to OMs proably the best additions so far.

Seems the Snowdogs may have lost some top end talent – Jones, Hannan, Boyce, S.Caven, Gleeson to name a few but you would expect they will find some decent replacements. Not much news on Trinity who on last years form would have to be one of the main contenders. Whispers of a few travelers and one or two key departures.

Yep some real quality there. As well as Bail (and other who have been speculated about) SKOBs have landed Luke Andrews from Box Hill who is gun at VFL level and have lost no one. De La have 4 or 5 really good additions but also a few departures. If true Warnock to Collegians and Thomas to OMs proably the best additions so far.

Seems the Snowdogs may have lost some top end talent – Jones, Hannan, Boyce, S.Caven, Gleeson to name a few but you would expect they will find some decent replacements. Not much news on Trinity who on last years form would have to be one of the main contenders. Whispers of a few travelers and one or two key departures.

Believe Andrews was around at SKOB last year but didnt play due to some injury issues.

Super talent and a big loss although I don’t think he played all that many games last year. Pretty sure he is not a St Bernard’s boy so this was probably on the cards at some stage.
Did play u/19s at St Bernard's but the lure of a job and coin to play was ultimately going to outweigh the offer given by Bernard's. Did not play too many games but was still a pivotal part in helping them win the flag

See Tim Allan has headed to the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back