B Section Premier B 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uni Blacks v Caulfield. Absolutely mouth watering stuff. I’m right on Caulfield. Forget round 1, they are loaded and they are an exciting team. This will be a real ring dinger.
Will tell us a lot about where things are headed this year. Buckle up B boys and let’s all enjoy it.

Last edited:
Uni Blacks v Caulfield. Absolutely mouth watering stuff. I’m right on Caulfield. Forget round 1, they are loaded and they are an exciting team. This will be a real ring dinger.
Will tell us a lot about where things are headed this year. Buckle up B boys and let’s all enjoy it.
Nah. Not quite good enough. Will finish 4th or 5th.

This week Bernard’s host Blacks. If Blacks win that, then Caulfield or Beauie will play Bernard’s in that 1st semi. If Bernard’s win, then throw a blanket over the top three.

Bernard’s won today without Jones and S Caven and T Sullivan. They will hope one or more of those players will play next week. Big game.

Caulfield for 4th - I agree. Beauie, as I have said previously, are young. Will be up and down.

AJAX, Mazenod and Parkdale will battle 6 to 8.

As mentioned elsewhere. Haileybury and Monash C grade bound.

WTF? Did we all just fall asleep for three and a half months and wake up in round 18?
Prem B is that predictable, yes. If Bernard’s lose to Blacks, they will have lost to the two top teams. They would struggle to make those points and percentage up given those teams will not drop many games at all they are so far ahead of all the other teams. If Bernard’s win, then they are right in the mix for top two.

Yet Bernard’s has smashed teams currently positioned 6 to 10. They are all C grade quality. Not Prem B.

So all I have done is make a call on Caulfield or Beauie finishing 4th. I also reckon Bernard’s is superior to Caulfield and Beauie.

And Monash and Haileybury being clearly the two worst teams in Prem B. They will go down.

That then leaves those teams currently positioned 6 to 8 to basically stay where they are. Happy for you guys to tear that logic apart.

It won’t require much effort.

Not a single person who has a decent appreciation of:

1. the VAFA’s 2 up / 2 down relegation system;
2. the vagaries of winter travel / injuries which can beset any VAFA club: or
3. How footy teams/clubs can drop/improve in form as a season progresses

would be so bold (nay stupid) as to suggest the top 3 teams will stay as they are and the bottom 2 will do likewise for another 12 rounds of suburban footy.

Footy competitions don’t work on algorithms - there’s usually a few other human factors in play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would be so bold (nay stupid) as to suggest the top 3 teams will stay as they are and the bottom 2 will do likewise for another 12 rounds of suburban footy.

Footy competitions don’t work on algorithms - there’s usually a few other human factors in play.
Time will tell. Might you consider that I am making some big calls to get some sort of discussion going on this thread? Working I would say.

Caulfield had no bench after half time yesterday and still got close. Also had a number of unders playing. Like everyone a couple to come back as well.

Looking forward at having another crack at blacks at home later in the year.
Most sides have some good unders playing and have unavailable players. Depth is key, and Caulfield getting so close yesterday and being a top 5 reserves side after six rounds clearly have depth. Which is why I believe they will finish in the top four.

The top five teams are the same in the seniors and reserves. A lack of depth will hurt the current bottom 5 teams as all teams deal with the inevitable injuries, travel and other unavailablities of amateur football.

Hence my opinion that none of the current bottom five teams has the depth or the talent to do what Monash did last season.

Top 5 after Round 6, season 2017 was

OB
OS
Bernard’s
AJAX
Fitzroy

End of season, the top 3 were the same. Monash finished 4th, AJAX 5th. One side changed from bottom 5 to top 5 last year over the last 12 rounds.

I don’t use algorithms. I use history and the reality of the current teams and their performances after 6 games to reach my conclusions.

In your opinion, which of the bottom 5 teams in the current season is capable of doing what Monash did?

Top 5 after Round 6, season 2017 was

OB
OS
Bernard’s
AJAX
Fitzroy

End of season, the top 3 were the same. Monash finished 4th, AJAX 5th. One side changed from bottom 5 to top 5 last year over the last 12 rounds.

I don’t use algorithms. I use history and the reality of the current teams and their performances after 6 games to reach my conclusions.

In your opinion, which of the bottom 5 teams in the current season is capable of doing what Monash did?
None - it’s a clear top 5 and bottom 5 scenario.

However the bottom two may well take scalps (especially against teams a couple of rungs above), and finish between 6th and 8th by round 18. Likewise, the top three could hit a form/injury pothole and/or drop games to allow Caulfield and Beaumaris to challenge.

It’s not as clear cut as you suggested.

Good banter B Boys. I like the top 5 and bottom 5 argument best.
Caulfield can definitely sneak into 3rd. Injuries and absentees can occur quickly in the Ammos.
That said, like Bagman, if I had to wage a bet (wonder if that maplebet is still around somewhere) I would be having the top 3 and bottom 2 to remain the same.

However the bottom two may well take scalps (especially against teams a couple of rungs above), and finish between 6th and 8th by round 18. Likewise, the top three could hit a form/injury pothole and/or drop games to allow Caulfield and Beaumaris to challenge.

Happy to concede those points. And respectfully still maintain my view. Recognising injury impact could derail any side.

Unfortunately Monash have dropped games in the last 2 rounds against those probable 6-8 positioned teams by 70 points each. They aren’t staying up. Haileybury have the worst depth in B Grade. I would be surprised if either of those teams win more than 3 games. The only interesting battle is between Beauy and Caulfield as to who finishes 4th.

Unfortunately Monash have dropped games in the last 2 rounds against those probable 6-8 positioned teams by 70 points each. They aren’t staying up. Haileybury have the worst depth in B Grade. I would be surprised if either of those teams win more than 3 games. The only interesting battle is between Beauy and Caulfield as to who finishes 4th.
Haileybury are decent, had a crack and stick to their game plan. They led Parkdale nearly all day, and will win sooner rather than later. Their depth is their problem, but if they can keep their best 25 out there, they may escape the drop.

Reckon the Fields were pretty good value last week and although the loss was disappointing, the tightness of the game should be encouraging for the Blue & White.

This Week
Panthers to punish the Sharks
Fields to get there against Nodders
Monash to get their first win of the year against the Bloods
Jackas to hold off the Vultures
Snow Dogs just at home against Blacks

Reckon the Fields were pretty good value last week and although the loss was disappointing, the tightness of the game should be encouraging for the Blue & White.

This Week
Panthers to punish the Sharks
Fields to get there against Nodders
Monash to get their first win of the year against the Bloods
Jackas to hold off the Vultures
Snow Dogs just at home against Blacks

looks like a great round on paper. Fields look to be the only lock.
Panthers. Just.. think this one will be close
Fields easily
Haileybury just
Ajax just
Snow dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back