B Section Premier B 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hipster.

Price was the biggest loss against Bernard’s he is ex Captain our best defender and had the Size to compete against the two bid forwards.

For clarity the other outs beside Nixon were already out from the last few weeks.

Good news was that kids were good again against big side and Barker got through his first game back after long stint with OP and the break should see us get a couple more vital ins.

Good news. The break will be great for a few teams. You guys and AJAX perhaps the most. A hard night on the track this week followed by a decent rest up leading into round 10 is what I’d do. Going to be an exciting back 9 games IMO. Interest at both ends of the ladder.

Mr Scruff.. you guys will be fine. Only a couple of changes, with Nixon the only one you will miss.
Any team with a thirds like Caulfield, doesn’t need to worry about fielding a ressies team.
A bit of mayo on the situation me thinks.
Fielders in a close one for me.

There was no issue fielding a Reserves team, however the hammering in the Thirds I think supports the decimated by injuries line.

Hipster.

Price was the biggest loss against Bernard’s he is ex Captain our best defender and had the Size to compete against the two bid forwards.

For clarity the other outs beside Nixon were already out from the last few weeks.

Good news was that kids were good again against big side and Barker got through his first game back after long stint with OP and the break should see us get a couple more vital ins.

FWIW has the travel bug hit the Fielders again or are they still paying off last year's AMEX bill?
A new season starts from Rd10 with the lure of the World Cup and Spanish beauties too much for a lot of young ammo footballers.

FWIW has the travel bug hit the Fielders again or are they still paying off last year's AMEX bill?
A new season starts from Rd10 with the lure of the World Cup and Spanish beauties too much for a lot of young ammo footballers.

A couple going away from what I hear. Mainly injuries last week . Only 18 named for the Ressies thursday night but in the end a respectable performance from the Ressies against a very good side.

Hopefully a few back with the benefit of the break.

As you say all teams probably lose a few.....The Melbourne supporters may have cancelled their snow trips this year as all the ones I know are getting a bit ahead of themselves at the moment .

Halfway Mark B Boys. Thought I might do up a little market and a few thoughts.
Let’s call it Hipp Bet for want of a better name.

$1.80 favourites - St Bernard’s
(The Bagmans Favourites)
Players used - 27
Players played 8/9 games - 16
Pretty good run there with player numbers re injuries. Ressies doing well, so depth solid if required.
Started well, but have ended on fire. Big wins against Blacks and Fields have made them my clear team to beat.
Youthful with guys like Huggard, Schumann, Farrell and DiLizio on fire. Bentick is a gun. As are both Cavens (Michael with 26 goals) Jones (37 goals)
Riley and Maher have been fantastic.
Will be looking forward to round 10 when they host Carey and look to avenge the early season slip up.

$2.90 - Uni Blacks
Players used - 28
Players played 8/9 games - 19
To start the year, these guys had an enchanted run with injuries. Even Enid Blyton would have been impressed.
In recent weeks they have had to make a few changes, but having 19 guys play 8/9 games is exceptional. Like Snowdogs, have good ressies side, so don’t see injuries derailing them. Have some wonderful players. There last few weeks have been interesting. Disappointing at the Pit, awesome at Bulleen and then lacklustre last week. A couple of times recently I have had them as my number one. Then number 3. Have settled having them second pick. Huntington (38) and the confident Dournof (26) are a great forward duo. Mahon is the clearance master, Curnow and Quaile are having great years. Youngster galore as well, with Haysman, Broderick and Moorfield exceptional. Black is back.

$3.00 - Carey
Players used - 34
Players played 8/9 games -15
Started like a steam train. Were my favs (and most people’s early on) but last few weeks has seen them slip to 3rd favourite. But only just.
Stars galore in Jaksch (36 goals) Shade, Cust, Ashby and Crocker. Coull has been great in the ruck. Ressies strong, and good unders/kids like the other two big teams with Alexander, Thompson, Jepson, Brusnahan and co. Full strength they look a powerful team. Last three weeks just beat Beauy, comfortably beaten by Blacks at home and not a big margin win over AJAX. Big tests away to Snowdogs and Blacks in the back half. Great first half.

$8.90 - Caulfield
Players used - 32
Players played 8/9 - 17
A few recent injuries and speculation of overseas travel has led me to turn Caulfield out a little. It was closing in on a 4 horse race for a while, but last weeks loss at home shows they are a little off the pack. Scruff obviously knows the team inside out, so I’m wiping away a little sweat bead as I type this as it may be rubbish..
Had a good run generally with injuries having had 17 players play 8 or 9. Ressies not as strong as the big 3, so big watch on team sheet after the break and whether two’s players are called up to step up. Very exciting youngsters who have all been rewarded with BIG V squad jumpers. A massive positive for future years. Nixon a gun. Wallace and Reilly been great. Price sorely missed by both them and i.
No certainties for finals but in the box seat and from there you only need two wins to be an A Grade team. Maybe a year early for the fielders, but with an Unders in prem division and a B grade team littered with the best of them..watch out VAFA.

Beauy - $25.00
Vultures - $100.00
AJAX - $500.00
Mazenod - $1000.00
Hail and Monash - No odds offered.

Last edited:

(The Bagmans Favourites)
Players used - 27
Pretty good run there with player numbers re injuries. Ressies doing well, so depth solid if required.
Started well, but have ended on fire. Big wins against Blacks and Fields have made them my clear team to beat.
Youthful with guys like Huggard, Schumann, Farrell and DiLizio on fire. Bentick is a gun. As are both Cavens (Michael with 26 goals) Jones (37 goals)
Will be looking forward to round 10 when they host Carey and look to avenge the early season slip up.

$2.90 - Uni Blacks
Players used - 28
To start the year, these guys had an enchanted run with injuries. Even Enid Blyton would have been impressed.
In recent weeks they have had to make a few changes, but having 19 guys play 8/9 games is exceptional. Like Snowdogs, have good ressies side, so don’t see injuries derailing them. Have some wonderful players. There last few weeks have been interesting. Disappointing at the Pit, awesome at Bulleen and then lacklustre last week. A couple of times recently I have had them as my number one. Then number 3. Have settled having them second pick. Huntington (38) and the confident Dournof (26) are a great forward duo. Mahon is the clearance master, Curnow and Quaile are having great years. Youngster galore as well, with Haysman, Broderick and Moorfield exceptional. Black is back.

$3.00 - Carey
Players used - 34
Started like a steam train. Were my favs (and most people’s early on) but last few weeks has seen them slip to 3rd favourite. But only just.
Stars galore in Jaksch (36 goals) Shade, Cust, Ashby and Crocker. Coull has been great in the ruck. Ressies strong, and good unders/kids like the other two big teams with Alexander, Thompson, Jepson, Brusnahan and co. Full strength they look a powerful team. Last three weeks just beat Beauy, comfortably beaten by Blacks at home and not a big margin win over AJAX. Big tests away to Snowdogs and Blacks in the back half. Great first half.

$8.90 - Caulfield
Players used - 32
Players played 8/9 - 17
A few recent injuries and speculation of overseas travel has led me to turn Caulfield out a little. It was closing in on a 4 horse race for a while, but last weeks loss at home shows they are a little off the pack. Scruff obviously knows the team inside out, so I’m wiping away a little sweat bead as I type this as it may be rubbish..
Had a good run generally with injuries having had 17 players play 8 or 9. Ressies not as strong as the big 3, so big watch on team sheet after the break and whether two’s players are called up to step up. Very exciting youngsters who have all been rewarded with BIG V squad jumpers. A massive positive for future years. Nixon a gun. Wallace and Reilly been great. Price sorely missed by both them and i.
No certainties for finals but in the box seat and from there you only need two wins to be an A Grade team. Maybe a year early for the fielders, but with an Unders in prem division and a B grade team littered with the best of them..watch out VAFA.

Beauy - $25.00
Vultures - $100.00
AJAX - $500.00
Mazenod - $1000.00
Excellent write up. I believe Blacks and Bernards might also feel the pinch with travellers departing during Uni break - that will test their depth. I am not so sure Bernards deserve such favouritism. An excellent three week patch for sure, but 12 weeks until finals, away games against AJAX, Blacks and Beauie will test them, and the other two clear leaders have done nothing wrong - also sitting 8-1. Same as last season, there will be a very good team very disappointed to lose on preliminary final weekend this year. But only two can earn promotion in VAFA footy.

Excellent write up. I believe Blacks and Bernards might also feel the pinch with travellers departing during Uni break - that will test their depth. I am not so sure Bernards deserve such favouritism. An excellent three week patch for sure, but 12 weeks until finals, away games against AJAX, Blacks and Beauie will test them, and the other two clear leaders have done nothing wrong - also sitting 8-1. Same as last season, there will be a very good team very disappointed to lose on preliminary final weekend this year. But only two can earn promotion in VAFA footy.

Good calls. AJAX will def win more games at home than they lose on the back nine. Some big players set to return. Chocco will be able to loosen the tie

Good calls. AJAX will def win more games at home than they lose on the back nine. Some big players set to return. Chocco will be able to loosen the tie
FWIW nice summary Hip, I agree the Bernie are roaring faves. Playing irresistible football and picking up champs like Tom Sullivan mid season. They are angry about 2017 and are well coached. Exciting times for the boys from the Snakepit and their loyal band of supporters.
Look forward to reading your other reviews for the other divisions.

(The Bagmans Favourites)
Players used - 27

$2.90 - Uni Blacks
Players used - 28

$3.00 - Carey
Players used - 34

$8.90 - Caulfield
Players used - 32
Players played 8/9 - 17

Beauy - $25.00
Vultures - $100.00
AJAX - $500.00
Mazenod - $1000.00

I reckon that’s not a bad wrap Hippster ....there are two players that have only played a couple of games between them that will make an impact in the second half of the year if they are fit and can get games in.

I think Bernard’s and Carey at full strength are well ahead of us but we will give Blacks a run if we A at full strength...Beauy clearly our threat for Finals..

Very good step up to B this year...very well coached and another year in the kids and we will threaten...cheers

I reckon that’s not a bad wrap Hippster ....there are two players that have only played a couple of games between them that will make an impact in the second half of the year if they are fit and can get games in.

I think Bernard’s and Carey at full strength are well ahead of us but we will give Blacks a run if we A at full strength...Beauy clearly our threat for Finals..

Very good step up to B this year...very well coached and another year in the kids and we will threaten...cheers
You've done well , good to see young Ball get a game.

Def Scruff. Youngsters galore. In seniors and in prem unders. Was chatting to a couple of VAFA Tragics and we all agree that you are far better placed for a serious A Grade permanent location than last time.

FWIW nice summary Hip, I agree the Bernie are roaring faves. Playing irresistible football and picking up champs like Tom Sullivan mid season. They are angry about 2017 and are well coached. Exciting times for the boys from the Snakepit and their loyal band of supporters.
Look forward to reading your other reviews for the other divisions.

I’m not sure the loyal snakepit supporters need anything to get them up and excited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 10 tips

Mazenod - Monash will be better at some point. Should be very tight game. Home side to have edge.
Beauie - should have players back from injury post the bye? To good for Parkdale, and a must win if they want to play finals.
Blacks - Will be too strong.
Caulfield - should also welcome some players back? Will be too strong.
Bernards - should be a cracker. Home ground advantage the only reason to separate these teams. OC to get some players back post bye?

Round 10 tips

Mazenod - Monash will be better at some point. Should be very tight game. Home side to have edge.
Beauie - should have players back from injury post the bye? To good for Parkdale, and a must win if they want to play finals.
Bernards - should be a cracker. Home ground advantage the only reason to separate these teams. OC to get some players back post bye?
Mazenod
Beaumaris
Blacks
Caulfield
Bernards

Round 10 tips

I will take these tips as well. Interesting to see how teams shape up post the break.

Last edited:
Mazenod
Beauy
Caulfield
Blacks
Panthers (have a good record at the pit)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Same for me thanks. Ill take a risk on OC at the Panther Pit, and also hope Bagman's hints at missing players to holidays is not a furphy designed to deflect us from the raging hot flag favourites!. Im also tempted to tip OH if Caulfield have players out still, but will stick with the Fields.

Same for me thanks. Ill take a risk on OC at the Panther Pit, and also hope Bagman's hints at missing players to holidays is not a furphy designed to deflect us from the raging hot flag favourites!. Im also tempted to tip OH if Caulfield have players out still, but will stick with the Fields.

Injuries, holidays etc will make things interesting. AJAX have the twin towers returning I’m told. Jaksch missed the trip to Adelaide with a fracture of the ankle. How many fielders are headed to the World Cup? Lots to keep us all on our toes.

Injuries, holidays etc will make things interesting. AJAX have the twin towers returning I’m told. Jaksch missed the trip to Adelaide with a fracture of the ankle. How many fielders are headed to the World Cup? Lots to keep us all on our toes.
That little Jaksch item here Hippster seems huge news for OC and Prem B. Any additional info? Ankle fracture implies weeks or even season ending?

Keen supporter but not close enough to players to know how many are travelling or who they are. Just know some are travelling - and have a friend who is a Blacks supporter who has said the same. But with no knowledge of who or how many. But from my years following VAFA footy, this is just par for the course. And clubs cope as best they can.

That little Jaksch item here Hippster seems huge news for OC and Prem B. Any additional info? Ankle fracture implies weeks or even season ending?

No idea re seriousness. Was told by a VAFA Big V selector late last week that he was out due to this injury. So pretty sure it’s spot on. You’d think 8 weeks at a minimum. Massive blow as he is certainly Carey’s key forward. May have to do a Doggies 16 or Tigers 17 and try and win a flag with pressure and smaller options.

No idea re seriousness. Was told by a VAFA Big V selector late last week that he was out due to this injury. So pretty sure it’s spot on. You’d think 8 weeks at a minimum. Massive blow as he is certainly Carey’s key forward. May have to do a Doggies 16 or Tigers 17 and try and win a flag with pressure and smaller options.
Ankles are tougher than normal bone breaks to recover from. The joint will get stiff and he will lose range of motion. Should be out for at least 6 to 8 weeks recovery from the break and then another 4 weeks physio before playing again. That is of course depends on the type of fracture and where it is in the ankle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back