Status
Not open for further replies.
Panthers won't be troubled by the Vultures
Blacks will win the Uni Cup, reckon Monash will have a crack early though
Ajax because are they less bad than Mazenod
Caulfield should respond after a shocker last week against the Sharks
Snow Dogs woop woop over the Bloods
same

Shame when that happens, but if the ump didn't think it was there it wouldn't have been paid.

We had a very close one (non-VAFA) today, 3-0 to 3-1 at quarter time, 4-2 to 4-5 at half time. Opposition were attacking outside the 50, the ball hit the ground a metre and a half in front of a player, skidded up and a bloke took it below knee height and was paid a mark. Nobody from either side could believe it and the inevitable protests resulted in a 50 and a gift goal. Fortunately we had a strong third quarter and it didn't affect the result.

Close game at Glenhuntly today. Unfortunately a pretty average free kick played a key role in the final result.

Just let the boys play I say

Just had a look at that decision on VAFA TV. Wow. So many interpretative rules in our game which makes it bloody hard for umpires and this is often a tough one to adjudicate but a stoppage or in the back to the Caulfield bloke looked far more obvious than a Beauy free kick a metre out. Not quite in the howler category but in the circumstances surely you don’t pay those.

Having said that they butchered some chances to go forward in the last two minutes so not entirely down to that decision.

Another great round.
Haileybury have certainly improved in recent weeks. Must have been a very solid second half from them on Saturday.
I’m leaning towards Mazenod being the team most likely to drop with the Asher’s now.
Carey seemed to struggle to get over the line against Parkdale. They seem to have slipped a little off the pace and are now a clear 3rd in my eyes. I know they have injuries, but so does everyone.
They will need to beat Uni at Uni to have any chance of a top 2 finish.
That Caulfield and Beauy result was huge. Didn’t see the free kick but will jump on and have a look now.

Another great round.
Haileybury have certainly improved in recent weeks. Must have been a very solid second half from them on Saturday.
I’m leaning towards Mazenod being the team most likely to drop with the Asher’s now.
Carey seemed to struggle to get over the line against Parkdale. They seem to have slipped a little off the pace and are now a clear 3rd in my eyes. I know they have injuries, but so does everyone.
They will need to beat Uni at Uni to have any chance of a top 2 finish.
That Caulfield and Beauy result was huge. Didn’t see the free kick but will jump on and have a look now.
FWIW me thinks a Bertocchi ham will be going down EP way from Beauy. Interesting that good old Disco got a red card in the ressies for the Bloods on the weekend at the ripe old age of 52!

FWIW me thinks a Bertocchi ham will be going down EP way from Beauy. Interesting that good old Disco got a red card in the ressies for the Bloods on the weekend at the ripe old age of 52!

Yes. Perhaps two bertocchis and a case of wine. Very lucky win.

Just had a look at that decision on VAFA TV. Wow. So many interpretative rules in our game which makes it bloody hard for umpires and this is often a tough one to adjudicate but a stoppage or in the back to the Caulfield bloke looked far more obvious than a Beauy free kick a metre out. Not quite in the howler category but in the circumstances surely you don’t pay those.

Having said that they butchered some chances to go forward in the last two minutes so not entirely down to that decision.

Just watched it on the video and I still don't see it. Ball up for mine. Being balanced Beauy may have won that ball up and then kicked the winning goal. There was 2 minutes left and it was down their end. But it was undeservedly put on a platter.

Not sure if the umpire coaches review video with their guys but I doubt that would be viewed favourably.

Anyways it is all done now and the Sharks sit pretty in 4th. Caulfield now have Carey and Blacks back to back. We'll need at least 1 of those now if we want any chance of playing finals.

Just watched it on the video and I still don't see it. Ball up for mine. Being balanced Beauy may have won that ball up and then kicked the winning goal. There was 2 minutes left and it was down their end. But it was undeservedly put on a platter.

Not sure if the umpire coaches review video with their guys but I doubt that would be viewed favourably.

Anyways it is all done now and the Sharks sit pretty in 4th. Caulfield now have Carey and Blacks back to back. We'll need at least 1 of those now if we want any chance of playing finals.
Would have you fairly comfortable favourites next week. Whilst all sides have injuries, including Caulfield i'm sure, a quick scan of Carey's list on saturday shows no Jaksch(? season, can anyone confirm?), Schade, Crocker, Smithwick, Evans, and others. Just the first two missing would be very significant for them. They may fall into the race for 4th 5th if those two are out for a significant period.

We have a big round coming up with at least three big games to shape the season.
Beaumaris v Mazenod. Beaumaris run hard, are fit, and are tough. They should win this one comfortably at home against a Mazenod side that are quickly falling into the relegation space. Maybe an early lapse have us a little bit blinkered in regards to Beauy, but with Cathcart, Nash, Petering, Carroll, Gower and co, they have some genuine top level talent and could still figure in the promotion race.
Old Carey v Caulfield. Both sides have been hit by injury and travel with Old Carey unimpressive for the past few weeks and Caulfield (unluckily?) falling to the Sharks at the death. I can't go past Schade and Jaksch missing at Carey however (as well as few extra consonants), along with several other important players, and think Caulfield will be desperate to stay in the finals race, and can find the extra impetus to win by 4 goals.
Monash v Parkdale Monash might be on their last hurrah, but i cannot see them getting up against a side that is really not that far off the Beaumaris/Caulfield/Old Carey level. Parkdale have some high marking talls, and good onballers and should win comfortably
Uni Blacks v St Bernards This game was very one-sided at the pit, however at the Uni with a couple possibly missing from the Snowdogs, this will be far closer. Both sides have potent forward lines. Blacks are maybe a little quicker on the outside and Bernies a little bit bigger in the middle, but generally these sides should be evenly matched. I think St Bernards have more suitable match-ups for Huntington(who did not play them last time mind you), Dornauf and co than Blacks do for the Jones, McNamara show, so on that basis ill go with the Snowies just.
Old Haileybury v Ajax Both sides have shown improved form of late with Krakauer and Lew keys to Ajax' second half of the year. I do think though, that at home, with the possible opportunity to edge out of the relegation zone, that the extra size of Haileybury may give them a slight advantage over Ajax' frenetic run. Just...

Last edited:
Awesome write up.
I will take Beauy for all your reasons. They are a good side and I can’t see the Nodders troubling them at all.
I will also go Caulfield. The Fields will be angry after last week, and Carey do seem to be just going. If Jaksch and Schade get back, then they will make a Prelim at least IMO, but who knows. They certainly seem to have been smashed with injuries and absentees to their best players.
Parkdale will be far too good for Monash, even at the Uni.
I’m tipping Blacks at home to win the big one. I’m hearing that St bernards will have a few stars missing. Uni will be desperate to atone their PITiful performance earlier in the year.
Three weeks ago I would have had this as a comfortable win to AJAX with Krak and Lew back and firing. But Haileybury have really improved. If it was at AJAX, I’d tip them, but have to go Hail at home.
So...
Blacks
Fields
Haileybury
Vultures
Sharks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beaumaris - easily
Caulfield - toss of a coin
Parkdale - easily
Bernards - tip of the heart, is a toss of the coin and if Bernards play as they did last week, Blacks will win by 5 goals
Haileybury - were ok against Bernards last Saturday

Awesome write up.
I will take Beauy for all your reasons. They are a good side and I can’t see the Nodders troubling them at all.
I will also go Caulfield. The Fields will be angry after last week, and Carey do seem to be just going. If Jaksch and Schade get back, then they will make a Prelim at least IMO, but who knows. They certainly seem to have been smashed with injuries and absentees to their best players.
Parkdale will be far too good for Monash, even at the Uni.
I’m tipping Blacks at home to win the big one. I’m hearing that St bernards will have a few stars missing. Uni will be desperate to atone their PITiful performance earlier in the year.
Three weeks ago I would have had this as a comfortable win to AJAX with Krak and Lew back and firing. But Haileybury have really improved. If it was at AJAX, I’d tip them, but have to go Hail at home.
So...
Blacks
Fields
Haileybury
Vultures
Sharks
It's like a home game for the Jacka's

Try these on Measures of Stability - Interpret as you see fit?

PLAYERS PLAYED/THOSE WHO HAVE 9/10/11 Games Done for top 4 and bottom team in each grade

ST KEV 38/14
COLLEG 37/12
O BRIGH 44/11
O TRIN 36/14
ST BEDES 39/14

B GRADE
ST BERN 30/19
U BLACK 32/18
O CAREY 36/17
BEAUM 39/10
MON BL 42/11

C GRADE
WILLY 31/16
FITZ 37/13
O CAMB 33/17
O GEEL 38/14
ST MARYS 38/14

DIV 1
HAMP R 38/13
ORMOND 36/17
PREST 33/16
THERRY 37/15
IVANH 39/13

DIV 2

O PARAD 34/14
UHSV 42/10
O YARRA 31/16
WHITE F 36/16
ELTHAM 43/11

DIV 3
GLEN E 40/11
HAWTH 39/12
MANN C 40/15
O WEST 36/14
LAT U 45/11

DIV 4
N BRUN 50/9
ST FRAN 38/15
PARKS 37/18
STH M D 44/11
MASALA 40/12

What does it mean?

Try these on Measures of Stability - Interpret as you see fit?

PLAYERS PLAYED/THOSE WHO HAVE 9/10/11 Games Done for top 4 and bottom team in each grade

ST KEV 38/14
COLLEG 37/12
O BRIGH 44/11
O TRIN 36/14
ST BEDES 39/14

B GRADE
ST BERN 30/19
U BLACK 32/18
O CAREY 36/17
BEAUM 39/10
MON BL 42/11

C GRADE
WILLY 31/16
FITZ 37/13
O CAMB 33/17
O GEEL 38/14
ST MARYS 38/14

DIV 1
HAMP R 38/13
ORMOND 36/17
PREST 33/16
THERRY 37/15
IVANH 39/13

DIV 2

O PARAD 34/14
UHSV 42/10
O YARRA 31/16
WHITE F 36/16
ELTHAM 43/11

DIV 3
GLEN E 40/11
HAWTH 39/12
MANN C 40/15
O WEST 36/14
LAT U 45/11

DIV 4
N BRUN 50/9
ST FRAN 38/15
PARKS 37/18
STH M D 44/11
MASALA 40/12

What does it mean?
My B grade interpretation is that keeping your better players playing more regularly equates to a superior win/loss ratio. Bernards and Blacks are very similar.

Also, if Bernards has Monash stats, Bernards would sit 4th/5th instead of top two. Depth is the key factor that will limit Bernards being competitive if they secure promotion this year to Premier division.

Top four seems settled. Not sure Caulfield will make up two games on Beauie with only six to go.

All interest will turn to which two sides get the double chance, and more intriguing, who will go down. Very hard to call now as to who will drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back