C Section Premier C - 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was because the previous year the 17's got thrown out of a GF due to a witch hunt by the SMJFL . It was a minor issue with players going from 19s back to 17s having to be ticked off by the OJFC and they didn't . Should have been a fine and then parents and some players blamed the senior club. so no 17's for 2 years, but now have strong 16's and 15's , so one year away.
Also Jason Burt has been sensational for the club and is still there to clear up any doubts.

Irrespective of my personal view of Ormond, all district clubs should do their utmost to build and protect themselves against demise. The VAFA are no help to district clubs, the paid comps are taking our players for a dollar and we don't have the money and resources the private schools have. People have mocked GE for their mergers etc but they are living proof of this demise.

Irrespective of my personal view of Ormond, all district clubs should do their utmost to build and protect themselves against demise. The VAFA are no help to district clubs, the paid comps are taking our players for a dollar and we don't have the money and resources the private schools have. People have mocked GE for their mergers etc but they are living proof of this demise.
Great post PS , as ive said before it's getting like the EPL.

Have said this before but if you think all school based clubs are awash with money and volunteers you are absolutely delusional. For years my club has been absolutely r*ped by the paying comps. Makes you wonder why you bother putting so much effort into developing your U19s when cashed up EFL clubs just come along and skim the cream each season. 1st and 2nd in the EFL Div. 1 medal this year were ex DLS players (Eddy and Haley). Meanwhile we get relegated. Look at where Whitefriars, Parade, Mazenod and others have been playing in recent time. Haileybury, the biggest school in the state, has bounced between B & C grade for a decade and barely survived again this year. Struggle to fill their ressies and their U19s are a year to year proposition. Other school based clubs have been forced to leave the VAFA (Rupertswood, Eltham and now St Francis Xavier tipped to follow). Others have folded.

Try and compete with Xavier, St Kevins, Collegians and Uni Blues for potential A grade recruits. Its bloody soul destroying as nobody can compete with their networks. Trouble is every person involved with a District club thinks we are all like Old Xavier. We are not. Even St Kevins spent a generation in B grade and only came up to Premier in 2016. They were a laughing stock playing on a goat track but a visionary committee and sheer bloody hard work turned that club around. I admire what they have done. So rather than piss and moan we should learn from them, not complain that they get it easy.

Re Ormond U19s – It is just the normal ebb and flow of football. Ormond have had 19s in the past and they will have them again. Like a lot of clubs with a junior affiliate it depends on whether the junior arm ran U17s the year before. Main kicker is that one of the most fertile recruiting fields McKinnon High seem to have aligned with Glen Eira. Also Ormond is a very affluent suburb and most families in that area can send their kids to private schools (if outside the McK catchment). Some of the juniors get lost to the old boys teams.

Ormond will be fine. Played for a spot in B grade last week and plenty of clubs would like to be in that position.

And Phantom – typically confusing naming conventions from the VAFA but your D1 U19s (if you go up) is actually D2.

Have said this before but if you think all school based clubs are awash with money and volunteers you are absolutely delusional. For years my club has been absolutely r*ped by the paying comps. Makes you wonder why you bother putting so much effort into developing your U19s when cashed up EFL clubs just come along and skim the cream each season. 1st and 2nd in the EFL Div. 1 medal this year were ex DLS players (Eddy and Haley). Meanwhile we get relegated. Look at where Whitefriars, Parade, Mazenod and others have been playing in recent time. Haileybury, the biggest school in the state, has bounced between B & C grade for a decade and barely survived again this year. Struggle to fill their ressies and their U19s are a year to year proposition. Other school based clubs have been forced to leave the VAFA (Rupertswood, Eltham and now St Francis Xavier tipped to follow). Others have folded.

Try and compete with Xavier, St Kevins, Collegians and Uni Blues for potential A grade recruits. Its bloody soul destroying as nobody can compete with their networks. Trouble is every person involved with a District club thinks we are all like Old Xavier. We are not. Even St Kevins spent a generation in B grade and only came up to Premier in 2016. They were a laughing stock playing on a goat track but a visionary committee and sheer bloody hard work turned that club around. I admire what they have done. So rather than piss and moan we should learn from them, not complain that they get it easy.

Re Ormond U19s – It is just the normal ebb and flow of football. Ormond have had 19s in the past and they will have them again. Like a lot of clubs with a junior affiliate it depends on whether the junior arm ran U17s the year before. Main kicker is that one of the most fertile recruiting fields McKinnon High seem to have aligned with Glen Eira. Also Ormond is a very affluent suburb and most families in that area can send their kids to private schools (if outside the McK catchment). Some of the juniors get lost to the old boys teams.

Ormond will be fine. Played for a spot in B grade last week and plenty of clubs would like to be in that position.

And Phantom – typically confusing naming conventions from the VAFA but your D1 U19s (if you go up) is actually D2.

Sorry I thought u19s were Premier, D1,D2 D3,D4 and our u19s played in D2 this year and will probably go to D1 in 2020.

Sorry I thought u19s were Premier, D1,D2 D3,D4 and our u19s played in D2 this year and will probably go to D1 in 2020.

My point was that Div. 1 is actually not Div. 1. Was a crack at ridiculous VAFA naming conventions, not GE or yourself. Sorry I just wish we could call things for what they are – e.g. A, B, C, D or 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. WTF is a D4?

Some people (not you obviously) would rightly think that reference to Div. 1 is just that – the top division when in fact it is not.

I have now confused myself. I have a headache. I'm going to lie down.

Ripping post. 100% on the money.

You're right there is a disparity between school based teams in terms of size, wealth, networking, connection with schools and retention. That said, there are a number of examples in recent times of schools changing their on-field fortunes by addressing some or all of those matters. Caulfield is the classic example, led in large part by Geoff Reilly I believe. Brighton and Scotch are two others. So it can be done.

I understand your club is working hard in those areas too. Part of that plan was - correct me if I'm wrong - the appointment of Schwabby as coach for 3 years.

There is no question school based clubs have a clear advantage with the pool of talent readily available to be tapped. Something that is not available to district clubs. You could even argue the points system in its present form favours school teams.

You need look no further than the clubs that regularly inhabit Premier and Premier B to see the big advantage schools team possess.

Congratulations to both sides yesterday on a tough and competitive Grand Final and well done to the CYs on an undefeated season. I would have thought that maybe the showpiece game of the year may have been played at a ground with a time clock, just sayin!!!

Congrats Willy, deserved it.

Interesting to see Caulfield win the B grade flag by nearly 100 points. 3 years ago Mazenod beat them by 100 in the 2nd semi in C grade! What a turn around. Hope for the C grade teams, things can change quickly.

You're right there is a disparity between school based teams in terms of size, wealth, networking, connection with schools and retention. That said, there are a number of examples in recent times of schools changing their on-field fortunes by addressing some or all of those matters. Caulfield is the classic example, led in large part by Geoff Reilly I believe. Brighton and Scotch are two others. So it can be done.

I understand your club is working hard in those areas too. Part of that plan was - correct me if I'm wrong - the appointment of Schwabby as coach for 3 years.

There is no question school based clubs have a clear advantage with the pool of talent readily available to be tapped. Something that is not available to district clubs. You could even argue the points system in its present form favours school teams.

You need look no further than the clubs that regularly inhabit Premier and Premier B to see the big advantage schools team possess.

Don’t disagree with your comments AM . I am just trying to bring a bit of balance to the argument and remove these ridiculous perceptions that exist in some quarters that school-based club are all the same and are automatically given a leg up by HQ when the reality is anything but.

The two clubs you reference are from the big end of town anyway and have both recently featured in Premier. Plenty of school-based clubs in A and B, but just as many in C grade and below.

Regarding Scotch – they were a decent A grade team in 2018 and really unfortunate to get relegated. 6 wins and a healthy % and probably 5-6 losses by under 10 points. While it is true they are back in Premier, based on yesterday’s results not sure they have turned anything around. Brighton have done well, primarily on the back of once in generation school teams.

The points are a farce. How a club like Xavier could get anywhere near, let alone exceed a 45-point cap is extraordinary. And it seems you just need to have driven past Melbourne Uni to qualify as a 1-point player. To be fair the OX player in question who caused the breach did go to Xavier but somehow is a 6 pointer. On the other hand Uni Blues have a host of one pointers who never went to Melbourne Uni. Go figure !

40 max for school and uni clubs. 45 for District clubs and extra points available for District clubs without a junior affiliate on application.

Don’t disagree with your comments AM . I am just trying to bring a bit of balance to the argument and remove these ridiculous perceptions that exist in some quarters that school-based club are all the same and are automatically given a leg up by HQ when the reality is anything but.

The two clubs you reference are from the big end of town anyway and have both recently featured in Premier. Plenty of school-based clubs in A and B, but just as many in C grade and below.

Regarding Scotch – they were a decent A grade team in 2018 and really unfortunate to get relegated. 6 wins and a healthy % and probably 5-6 losses by under 10 points. While it is true they are back in Premier, based on yesterday’s results not sure they have turned anything around. Brighton have done well, primarily on the back of once in generation school teams.

The points are a farce. How a club like Xavier could get anywhere near, let alone exceed a 45-point cap is extraordinary. And it seems you just need to have driven past Melbourne Uni to qualify as a 1-point player. To be fair the OX player in question who caused the breach did go to Xavier but somehow is a 6 pointer. On the other hand Uni Blues have a host of one pointers who never went to Melbourne Uni. Go figure !

40 max for school and uni clubs. 45 for District clubs and extra points available for District clubs without a junior affiliate on application.
35 and 40

(Log in to remove this ad.)

35 and 40

Could work with that, as long as the school, uni, junior alignment stuff was clear and consistent. If you need to go to the school for two years to be a one pointer then you must have played 2 years with the junior club to be a one-pointer. To be a one-point player for a uni club you must have gone to that uni (maybe for two years also). At the moment VAFA apply policy over the policy and it’s a shambles.

35 is silly low. An old boys team should be inclusive. Not just players who attended the school. Variety is the spice of life.
So if a teams brings in 3 recruits who are 6 pointers, then you would have to play two players short to play these new recruits. Would make rotations tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back