Premiership hangovers

Remove this Banner Ad

in 1916, fitzroy won the wooden spoon in a 4 team competition playing badly during the regular season.

since this was during ww1, all four teams played in the finals and then won the premiership with a stunning form reversal.

the best modern example is adelaide who fell to 13th in 1999 after the flag in 98. this is the lowest fall possible since there were only 12 teams before the comp expanded.

so adelaide are the lowest and fitrzroy won the wooden spoon and premiership.
To make it more confusing;

Richmond who finished the home and away third, got knocked out in the first final and therefore finished last.

But… many count the wooden spoon after the home and away season as one does with many other awards. So Fitzroy got the wooden spoon and the Premiership.

So to save arguments, the official stance is an asterisk with both teams allotted the wooden spoon so you can decide how the criteria works in your world.

I personally prefer wooden spoons should be allotted after the home and away. But I agree Richmond finished last, but Fitzroy got the spoon (don’t think they would have been to sad that year).

Geelong were very efficient against Collingwood and Carlton in their first 2 matches, they’d have lost by more otherwise.

Also most people expected the cats to be right in the mix again, bit of rewriting history to say “everyone” expected them to drop off.
Geelong stuck with Collingwood for 3 quarters but went in without J.Henry, Duncan and Bowes, lost Stewart straight away and SDK + Stengle copped early knocks and could barely contribute after. A running out of legs situation.

The next week they also went in without Kolodjashnij, SDK was proppy and Curnow dominated. Geelong still got within a couple of goals of Carlton.

Hawkins took a month to get fit after late surgery.

Undoubtedly a bad start, but not a lot was going right.

Crows in 1999 first that come to mind for me. They were 10th going into the final month though, and their seven double fixtures were all against sides finishing in the top 10 which is a bit stiff.

Freo had a pretty decent minor premiership hangover falling 16 spots on the H&A ladder last year.

Was thinking this too. The writing was on the wall, there was a point during 2015 when the window palpably closed, but still they went from minor premier hosting a prelim to an 11 match losing streak which is rough.

So to save arguments, the official stance is an asterisk with both teams allotted the wooden spoon so you can decide how the criteria works in your world.

Richmond were the 1916 wooden spooners. They finished last at the end of the season.

Richmond were the 1916 wooden spooners. They finished last at the end of the season.
That’s the way you count it.

I count it the other way (like you do with the Brownlow, Coleman etc).

Richmond finished last but Fitzroy got the wooden spoon.

No need to argue about it as both versions are correct or incorrect as it’s not an official award.

Most sites like wiki has Fitzroy and Richmond sharing the 1916 wooden spoon.

Attachments

• IMG_7033.jpeg
    IMG_7033.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 14
Yes. Last at the end of the season is always the way the wooden spoon has been determined.

The AFL count it that way.
Source from the AFL?

And yes as I staten before I agree that Richmond finished last in 1916.

But Fitzroy finished last in 1916 after the Home and Away.

So what is the criteria for the Wooden spoon?

I don’t think there is one as it’s not an official award.

Just because you count it as the end of the season and I count it at the end of the home and away does not mean we are right or wrong.

But you state the AFL count the Wooden spoon as the team that comes at the end of the season and not at the end of the home and away? Well you have to show proof from the AFL actually stating this, I have searched and found nothing.

That is why there is an asterisk besides 1916* regarding the wooden spoon.

Brisbane Lions have to claimed it :p

Last edited:
Source from the AFL?

And yes as I staten before I agree that Richmond finished last in 1916.

But Fitzroy finished last in 1916 after the Home and Away.

The recipient of the wooden spoon has always been the club that was last on the ladder at the end of the season.
Brisbane Lions have to claimed it

The Brisbane Lions didn't exist in 1916. They have three premierships.

The recipient of the wooden spoon has always been the club that was last on the ladder at the end of the season.

The Brisbane Lions didn't exist in 1916. They have three premierships.
You are avoiding my previous statements. And not supplying any source from the AFL.

1916 was a unique season.

There seems to be no criteria how to count the wooden spoon.

Usually the team that finishes on the bottom after the home and away also finishes on the bottom at the seasons end. 1916 this didn’t happen.

Unless you supply proof on how the AFL officially count wooden spoons (don’t think they care) then you won’t be able to convince me that you are right, as I won’t be able to convince you that I am right.

So it’s an argument filler. Some will say it’s Fitzroy spoon (me), some will say Richmond spoon (you) and some will say both.

You are avoiding my previous statements. And not supplying any source from the AFL.

There is no source. Last on the ladder at the end of the season gains the "wooden spoon". In 1916 that was Richmond. The official AFL Season Guide recognises Richmond as the wooden spooners for the 1916 VFL season.
Usually the team that finishes on the bottom after the home and away also finishes on the bottom at the seasons end. 1916 this didn’t happen.

That's because the club that finished on the bottom ended their season. In 1916, the season was still going for all the participating clubs. The premier does not necessarily finish first at the end of each home and away season. Otherwise Port Adelaide would have been the premier in 2020 and not Richmond.

Unless you supply proof on how the AFL officially count wooden spoons (don’t think they care)

I'm not interested in providing proof, other than observing the results of the 127 odd seasons of the VFL-AFL.
then you won’t be able to convince me that you are right, as I won’t be able to convince you that I am right.

So be it.

There is no source. Last on the ladder at the end of the season gains the "wooden spoon". In 1916 that was Richmond. The official AFL Season Guide recognises Richmond as the wooden spooners for the 1916 VFL season.

That's because the club that finished on the bottom ended their season. In 1916, the season was still going for all the participating clubs. The premier does not necessarily finish first at the end of each home and away season. Otherwise Port Adelaide would have been the premier in 2020 and not Richmond.

I'm not interested in providing proof, other than observing the results of the 127 odd seasons of the VFL-AFL.

So be it.
So be it

? If you're talking about Geelong they were competitive in their opening losses, and everyone expected them to drop off anyway. Pies have just been outplayed from the opening bounce.
We were crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong they were competitive in their opening losses, and everyone expected them to drop off anyway.
Nope. Geelong were the premiership favourites heading into the 2023 season. Most of the pundits in the media were tipping them to go back-to-back. Nobody saw the drop-off coming, except for the haters who'd been predicting Geelong's demise every year since 2015. (People jumped off the Cats pretty quickly once the season started and they were 0-3 after 3 rounds.)

Eventual premiers, Collingwood were the popular tip to be the competition 'sliders'. The general wisdom from the so-called "experts" was the Pies got lucky winning so many close games in 2022 and reaching the Prelim Final, and they couldn't possibly replicate the feat again. (The fickle media jumped back on the Pies bandwagon pretty quickly when they burst out of the blocks with 3 straight wins over Geel, Port and Rich.)

Here is last year's 'Crystal Ball' preview for the 2023 season on the AFL website

4 of the 10 pundits tipped Geelong to be premiers.
2 of them said they'd be runners-up and 3 of the others said they'd finish 3rd
Cal Twomey was the only one who had the Cats outside the top 4 (in 5th place)

9 of the 10 had the Pies dropping out of the top 4 and finishing 7th-8th-9th-10th

These opinions were pretty much shared across the board by the sheep on all the other websites.

Damian Barrett
Premier: Geelong
Runner-up: Brisbane

1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Sydney
4. Carlton
5. Melbourne
6. Port
7. Collingwood
8. Fremantle
9. Richmond
10. Bulldogs
11. Adelaide
12. Giants
13. St Kilda
14. Gold Coast
15. Essendon
16. West Coast
17. Hawthorn
18. North

Gemma Bastiani
Premier: Brisbane
Runner-up: Geelong

1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Melbourne
4. Sydney
5. Fremantle
6. Bulldogs
7. Collingwood
8. Richmond
9. Carlton
10. Gold Coast
11. Port
12. Giants
13. Essendon
14. Adelaide
15. Hawthorn
16. West Coast
17. St Kilda
18. North

Riley Beveridge
Premier: Melbourne

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Richmond
5. Sydney
6. Carlton
7. Bulldogs
8. Collingwood
9. Fremantle
10. Port
11. Giants
12. Gold Coast
13. Adelaide
14. West Coast
15. Essendon
16. St Kilda
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Sarah Black
Runner-up: Melbourne

1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
5. Richmond
6. Bulldogs
7. Fremantle
8. Collingwood
9. Carlton
10. Port
11. Giants
12. Gold Coast
13. Essendon
14. Adelaide
15. St Kilda
16. West Coast
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Nat Edwards

1. Brisbane
2. Melbourne
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Richmond
6. Carlton
7. Bulldogs
8. Fremantle
9. Port
10. Collingwood
11. Gold Coast
12. Adelaide
13. Giants
14. West Coast
15. Essendon
16. St Kilda
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Josh Gabelich

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Carlton
5. Richmond
6. Bulldogs
7. Sydney
8. Collingwood
9. Port
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. Giants
13. Adelaide
14. St Kilda
15. Essendon
16. Hawthorn
17. West Coast
18. North

Sarah Olle

1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Richmond
5. Carlton
6. Sydney
7. Bulldogs
8. Collingwood
9. Giants
10. Gold Coast
11. Fremantle
12. Port
13. Adelaide
14. St Kilda
15. Essendon
16. West Coast
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Nathan Schmook

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Fremantle
6. Carlton
7. Bulldogs
8. Richmond
9. Collingwood
10. Adelaide
11. Gold Coast
12. Port
13. Giants
14. West Coast
15. Essendon
16. St Kilda
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Callum Twomey

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Richmond
4. Collingwood
5. Geelong
6. Carlton
7. Port
8. Bulldogs
9. Sydney
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. Giants
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. St Kilda
16. North
17. West Coast
18. Hawthorn

Michael Whiting

1. Geelong
2. Brisbane
3. Melbourne
4. Sydney
5. Bulldogs
6. Carlton
7. Gold Coast
8. Collingwood
9. Fremantle
10. Port
11. Richmond
12. Adelaide
13. West Coast
14. Giants
15. St Kilda
16. Essendon
17. Hawthorn
18. North

Last edited:
Nope. Geelong were the premiership favourites heading into the 2023 season. Most of the pundits in the media were tipping them to go back-to-back. Nobody saw the drop-off coming, except for the haters who'd been predicting Geelong's demise every year since 2015. (People jumped off the Cats pretty quickly once the season started and they were 0-3 after 3 rounds.)

Eventual premiers, Collingwood were the popular tip to be the competition 'sliders'. The general wisdom from the so-called "experts" was the Pies got lucky winning so many close games in 2022 and reaching the Prelim Final, and they couldn't possibly replicate the feat again. (The fickle media jumped back on the Pies bandwagon pretty quickly when they burst out of the blocks with 3 straight wins over Geel, Port and Rich.)

Here is last year's 'Crystal Ball' preview for the 2023 season on the AFL website

4 of the 10 pundits tipped Geelong to be premiers.
2 of them said they'd be runners-up and 3 of the others said they'd finish 3rd
Cal Twomey was the only one who had the Cats outside the top 4 (in 5th place)

9 of the 10 had the Pies dropping out of the top 4 and finishing 7th-8th-9th-10th

These opinions were pretty much shared across the board by the sheep on all the other websites.

Damian Barrett

1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Sydney
4. Carlton
5. Melbourne
6. Port
7. Collingwood
8. Fremantle
9. Richmond
10. Bulldogs
11. Adelaide
12. Giants
13. St Kilda
14. Gold Coast
15. Essendon
16. West Coast
17. Hawthorn
18. North

Gemma Bastiani

1. Brisbane
2. Geelong
3. Melbourne
4. Sydney
5. Fremantle
6. Bulldogs
7. Collingwood
8. Richmond
9. Carlton
10. Gold Coast
11. Port
12. Giants
13. Essendon
14. Adelaide
15. Hawthorn
16. West Coast
17. St Kilda
18. North

Riley Beveridge

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Richmond
5. Sydney
6. Carlton
7. Bulldogs
8. Collingwood
9. Fremantle
10. Port
11. Giants
12. Gold Coast
13. Adelaide
14. West Coast
15. Essendon
16. St Kilda
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Sarah Black

1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
5. Richmond
6. Bulldogs
7. Fremantle
8. Collingwood
9. Carlton
10. Port
11. Giants
12. Gold Coast
13. Essendon
14. Adelaide
15. St Kilda
16. West Coast
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Nat Edwards

1. Brisbane
2. Melbourne
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Richmond
6. Carlton
7. Bulldogs
8. Fremantle
9. Port
10. Collingwood
11. Gold Coast
12. Adelaide
13. Giants
14. West Coast
15. Essendon
16. St Kilda
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Josh Gabelich

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Carlton
5. Richmond
6. Bulldogs
7. Sydney
8. Collingwood
9. Port
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. Giants
13. Adelaide
14. St Kilda
15. Essendon
16. Hawthorn
17. West Coast
18. North

Sarah Olle

1. Geelong
2. Melbourne
3. Brisbane
4. Richmond
5. Carlton
6. Sydney
7. Bulldogs
8. Collingwood
9. Giants
10. Gold Coast
11. Fremantle
12. Port
13. Adelaide
14. St Kilda
15. Essendon
16. West Coast
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Nathan Schmook

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Geelong
4. Sydney
5. Fremantle
6. Carlton
7. Bulldogs
8. Richmond
9. Collingwood
10. Adelaide
11. Gold Coast
12. Port
13. Giants
14. West Coast
15. Essendon
16. St Kilda
17. North
18. Hawthorn

Callum Twomey

1. Melbourne
2. Brisbane
3. Richmond
4. Collingwood
5. Geelong
6. Carlton
7. Port
8. Bulldogs
9. Sydney
10. Fremantle
11. Gold Coast
12. Giants
13. Adelaide
14. Essendon
15. St Kilda
16. North
17. West Coast
18. Hawthorn

Michael Whiting

1. Geelong
2. Brisbane
3. Melbourne
4. Sydney
5. Bulldogs
6. Carlton
7. Gold Coast
8. Collingwood
9. Fremantle
10. Port
11. Richmond
12. Adelaide
13. West Coast
14. Giants
15. St Kilda
16. Essendon
17. Hawthorn
18. North

Hawks their pick for the spoon too

2021, 2023 and possibly 2024 could see the premiers miss finals. 2022 saw the premiers bounce out in straight sets.
Hasn't been easy to back up the next year of late.

The season is starting earlier and earlier. Go back to 2012 and the first match was March 29. Historically the season began on the first weekend on April (pre bye) and once upon a time it was May (ie a genuinely winter sport)

Round 1 has crept forward (with the pre finals bye contributing) and then this year they added Round 0 and had the first game on March 7th, more than 3 weeks earlier than 2012.

Pre season is getting shorter and shorter, and the premiers and runners up have the shortest turnaround of all.

Confused What Happened GIF by Google

Premiership hangovers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back