Are Geelong a premiership contender? How far can they go in finals?

How far can Geelong go in finals?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen 3 with heaps of relatives having nice food on a 80inch 4K TV listening to the commentary with Bose surround sound speakers. How was your meat pie, sausage roll and beer stained clothes?
Damn, you didn't actually see any winning grand finals live? You better take the next opportunity in about 50 years, you don't know what you missed out on.

Where are the ‘won’t make finals’ or ‘straight sets’ options?
People have been predicting us to go out in straight sets every year for a decade.
It never happens, especially given how good our record is the second week after a bye.

Well it did happen in 2014 and 1997.

Otherwise our semi final record over the last 35 odd years has been pretty good.
True, but my point is that opposition supporters predicted us to go out in straight sets in 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022.

I used to think that by large all supporter groups were the same. Each club had a certain percentage of flog supporters but all within a couple of percent points. But Richmond fans are an outlier, their flog supporters sit at least twice the next club. Would love to see a study on why that is.

Damn, you didn't actually see any winning grand finals live? You better take the next opportunity in about 50 years, you don't know what you missed out on.

The Richmond Granny’s are hard to get into. People actually like watching us play. You guys played the likes of Port and St Kilda. Some of the worst GFs to watch ever. Eww

Well it did happen in 2014 and 1997.

Otherwise our semi final record over the last 35 odd years has been pretty good.

We have one of the best Semi Final records in the League if not the best?
Hence rarely ever going out “in straight sets”

People incorrect use that term all the time.
It refers to a team who has finished top 4, loses the Qualifying Final then proceeds to lose the Semi Final.

Hence two straight losses or “sets”

Cats issue for years was Preliminary Finals.
Making it to the Final 4 means you have to win at least 1 Final hence you can’t go out in a “set”

Dees, Lions and Hawks have done “straight sets” multiple times in the last decade.

Seen 3 with heaps of relatives having nice food on a 80inch 4K TV listening to the commentary with Bose surround sound speakers. How was your meat pie, sausage roll and beer stained clothes?
Please tell me you aren’t trying to say it’s better to see your team win a flag at home on the tv than it is being at the game.

Please tell me you aren’t trying to say it’s better to see your team win a flag at home on the tv than it is being at the game.

Yeah only PFs are worth it imo.

Now be honest how many times did you glance at the shitty big screen when the other players were on the other side of the field and you couldn’t see anything? Yeah exactly.

I’m of the firm view that the players skills look much better on TV and if you wanna talk about celebrating the win. Having a whole heap of family members with me rather than strangers is better to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah only PFs are worth it imo.

Now be honest how many times did you glance at the shitty big screen when the other players were on the other side of the field and you couldn’t see anything? Yeah exactly.

I’m of the firm view that the players skills look much better on TV and if you wanna talk about celebrating the win. Having a whole heap of family members with me rather than strangers is better to me.
🤦‍♂️

Can’t believe you can’t accept people like different things.

Being a GF attending snob isn’t a good look even if you think it is. Most people here haven’t been to one.
A bit rich throwing out snob after canning the humble working man's meat pie! You then indicated that not everyone can afford it. Totally fair enough if that's your situation. Kind of a different argument but anyway.

There's no doubt you see things really clearly on tvs these days. Every decade has seen a big shift but it's been on steroids the last decade. Watching on SD now is putrid! Sound is also awesome nowadays. So yeah big screen nice sound family around - clearly a cracking day.

And yet crowds have not suffered despite every game being live for not much money, when only 20 years ago 1-2 games a weekend were live. It wasn't that long ago channel 7 started the friday night game an hour late after better homes and gardens!

To me it speaks to the human desire for shared experience which we are hard wired to enjoy. There is nothing quite like seeing it in person, right in front of you! as a crows supporter might say, hearing the cauldron like atmosphere. Even if it is slightly ruined these days by music and screaming ground announcers.

A bit rich throwing out snob after canning the humble working man's meat pie! You then indicated that not everyone can afford it. Totally fair enough if that's your situation. Kind of a different argument but anyway.

There's no doubt you see things really clearly on tvs these days. Every decade has seen a big shift but it's been on steroids the last decade. Watching on SD now is putrid! Sound is also awesome nowadays. So yeah big screen nice sound family around - clearly a cracking day.

And yet crowds have not suffered despite every game being live for not much money, when only 20 years ago 1-2 games a weekend were live. It wasn't that long ago channel 7 started the friday night game an hour late after better homes and gardens!

To me it speaks to the human desire for shared experience which we are hard wired to enjoy. There is nothing quite like seeing it in person, right in front of you! as a crows supporter might say, hearing the cauldron like atmosphere. Even if it is slightly ruined these days by music and screaming ground announcers.

No I can afford it. But when your tiger mad grandparents are too sick to go, I’d feel like an ass ditching them.

I’ve been to so many games including finals. To me the standard looks like Auskick compared to on TV and most of the time I can’t even tell what’s going on unless I see the big screen at the game which defeats the whole purpose.

People say the prelims are the best games to watch anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are Geelong a premiership contender? How far can they go in finals?

Back