Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Reilly O'Brien ranks 19 out of 40 in terms of getting a hitout to advantage at a given ruck contest of all players to attend more than 200 ruck contests last year

View attachment 1591260
Most stats indicate ROB is around average of all ruckmen.

He is no where amongst the best, but not near the worst.

My issue is if he is not marking the ball, he is offering little around the ground.

Most stats indicate ROB is around average of all ruckmen.

He is no where amongst the best, but not near the worst.

My issue is if he is not marking the ball, he is offering little around the ground.

Tackles and clearances he ranks okay? From memory over double Draper who several on here rate as a ruck alternative

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Tackles and clearances he ranks okay? From memory over double Draper who several on here rate as a ruck alternative

But in other stats he is below average.... so overall he is around a middle of the range ruckman in the AFL.

For 2022, both Draper and O'Brien averaged the same amount of clearances (3.9). O'Brien averaged more tackles (4 vs 1.5).

For total career, Draper averages more clearances (3.7 vs 3.5), O'Brien averages more tackles (3.70 vs 1.65)

Draper shares ruck suites in some games
Yep.

9yixaex.jpg

But when it comes to footy using stats as evidence is fraught with danger.

stats sometimes tell you that Ben Keays is an equal, or better, player than Clayton Oliver!... mind you.. Some people round here actually think he is!

you want to talk about stats, ok.. here’s some.

for the last 3 years our main midfield grouping has been ROB, Sloane, Laird, Crouch and Ben Keays.. a huge majority of our midfield minutes have been handed to these lads. That’s a stat.

and the amount of football these 5 players get their hands on is phenomenal.. often (excluding ROB) they get 30-40 possessions EACH a game.. up there with the highest possession winning midfielders in the league. More stats.

Given the midfield is the teams engine room, where games are literally won and lost, this must bode well for the crows yeah?..

I mean, surely these so called “gun” mids, these leaders of our club, getting their hands on the ball, at the feet of this fantastic ruckman who such fxxking amazing stats, must translate to dominance over their opponents right?… accumulation of stats.

here’s some stats over the past 3 years this leadership group, this engine room, has delivered..
the most important stats of all..

2020 - wooden spoon
2021 - 15th
2022 - 14th

thats some real fantastic stats these guns, with their ruckman with “great stats”, have delivered.

Sheesh.. why actually watch the games when you can simply look at the stats at the final siren.. they’ll obviously tell you all you need to know about who was BOG right…

ROB was fxxkn garbage most of the year... fact. I couldn’t give a fxxk what the stats say. I witnessed it with my own eyes.
When we contend next, laird and keays won't be in the midfield. Laird will be in the backilne or retired. Keays will either be traded or delisted.

I understand both sides of the ROB argument .....on his day (taking field marks) he looks irresistible .....other days he's not even competitive in the air & a liability

Rucks job is either to win taps to advantage OR negate the opposing Ruckman .....ROB is in the latter category, which is fine, the MIDS can rove to negating Rucks ....but again he has days where he's useless in all aspects, rucking and marking

Problem with ROB is .....get to the Finals, we simply don't know which version of ROB turns up ......it's a disaster brewing
We hope that the 2020 version of ROB turns up..

but, given how little we’ve seen of the 2020 version of ROB since 2020, I wouldn’t be banking on it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must have missed the emoji..
Last time I said that when you pointed it out was meant to be a joke, you said I should have known... emojis are under-rated if not overused.;)

For 2022, both Draper and O'Brien averaged the same amount of clearances (3.9). O'Brien averaged more tackles (4 vs 1.5).

For total career, Draper averages more clearances (3.7 vs 3.5), O'Brien averages more tackles (3.70 vs 1.65)

And ROB is almost double the marks and 50% higher on disposals.

And weren’t we all glad that we had a decent ruck to takeover from Jacobs, now that he’s stinking, having a good ruck isn’t as important.

I think the standard of ruckmen across the comp has dropped off - and they have become less important as sides focus on turnover, pressing right up on the oppo and quick play on. A couple of more mobile types - playing more like mids than rucks - are doing okay (Blicavs, English, Marshall) but if you notice they all ranked really low on HTA and general HT numbers - they have built their game getting more possies

I’m sure I read before that someone a few pages ago said a ruckman wasn’t important at this stage?
Surely you want your developing kids to learn with someone half decent at their craft?

It'd help out in the confidence stakes, however the flip side is you'd also want our midfielders to have developed ways to cope when an opposition ruck is on top. The downside is you're more likely to get belted on an off-day.

So it's probably one that has benefits/drawbacks regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back