Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this what you struggle with ....the gameplan has to factor in the experience & cattle of a side ....it's not necessarily a reflection of how a Coach sees the final gameplan

Do you think Nicks would have the same gameplan with the youngest & most inexperienced side ....versus a mature side
It would be silly to suggest otherwise

So, yes ....the gameplan will alter, it does most years in the AFL .....more experience amongst the younger players, adding Rankine, albeit one player, does change the structure dynamics

Our issue is still our KPD's ....most of the top sides KPF's will get a hold of us, unless we afford them more protection
Our current crop of forwards are going to need quick ball movement to succeed

I wonder if Rowe would be on an afl list if we played a game plan which didn’t take small forwards away from goal
He doesn’t suit close to goal at AFL level because he’s too slow if he doesn’t win the ball

Up amongst the congestion it doesn’t matter so much

Clubs are smart enough and would recruit him if they thought his problems were just the way we were using him , they’d see upside and get him on the their list

But …. Donuts

He doesn’t suit close to goal at AFL level because he’s too slow if he doesn’t win the ball

Clubs are smart enough and would recruit him if they thought his problems were just the way we were using him , they’d see upside and get him on the their list

But …. Donuts
Yep, Western Bulldogs supposed interest this year quickly disappeared into the ether even though he was available for nought.

They were supposed to have interest the year we drafted him but they'd obviously been watching the following 2 years and lost interest instead drafting a gun small forward Charlie Clarke midfielder that has all of Rowe's better attributes....and speed and a strong defensive side to his game, they also drafted another small defender/small forward/midfielder in Harvey Gallagher....who also has serious speed.

Last edited:

But …. Donuts
Look I’m not saying he would have made it but our gameplan didn’t help. We recruited him as a small forward in the SANFL who stayed close to goals and kicked lots of them.

That’s not how we played him though and given the deficiencies in his athleticism which were well known at the time of us drafting him, it’s strange we would have used 2 picks to secure him and you have to question if there is a disconnect between the coaches and recruiters. Did Hamish recruit McHenry for example as a small forward or to play midfield?

Look I’m not saying he would have made it but our gameplan didn’t help. We recruited him as a small forward in the SANFL who stayed close to goals and kicked lots of them.

That’s not how we played him though and given the deficiencies in his athleticism which were well known at the time of us drafting him, it’s strange we would have used 2 picks to secure him and you have to question if there is a disconnect between the coaches and recruiters. Did Hamish recruit McHenry for example as a small forward or to play midfield?
For me neither have enough speed or tricks to be deeper forwards

Both best used up the ground

Rachele , Rankine and even Pedlar can cause real havoc I50 IMO but also push into midfield itself not just as an extra around the ball

Wow he looks pretty fit to me and definitely lean

This is good news as I love this kid as a player , beautifully balanced , dual sided , agility and weights his kicks as good as anyone on the list . Can see him being as good as Soligo long term

Hope he’s happy and working hard on his fitness as some reports saying he’s been struggling with the running

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow he looks pretty fit to me and definitely lean

This is good news as I love this kid as a player , beautifully balanced , dual sided , agility and weights his kicks as good as anyone on the list . Can see him being as good as Soligo long term

Hope he’s happy and working hard on his fitness as some reports saying he’s been struggling with the running
Definitely looks leaner than last year

Now it's also speed of exiting the DEF 50 .....Fantasy kings like Lloyd have been relegated, as SYD rely on Nick Blackey to run & carry out of def

Brings into play Milera off HB .....and Rankine's speed, you can understand why his services were so valued
Didnt you say 6/6/6 was the death of the Hb coming through? You said it killed Betts who sat on the back

Or he’s just not an AFL footballer and that’s why he remained undrafted when he did until we came along and used 2 picks to get him

Yes, one being a 4th round pick which is only really there to balance a trade with a team willing to move down (in this case, Port), so two picks is a moot point as the price was low.

We rated him enough to give him a shot (and did some shuffling to remove any genuine risk of missing out once he got to a certain point), gave him a decent shot at cementing a spot (which he did seeing he played 36 games), and decided to move on when we attracted Rankine. If we don't get Izak, it's very likely Jimmy is on our list coming into 2023, but them the breaks when you're a role player in a side.

Tears up SANFL next year and it's not out of the question that Rowe is back in the big leagues in 2024.

Last edited:
Yes, one being a 4th round pick which is only really there to balance a trade with a team willing to move down (in this case, Port), so two picks is a pretty moot point as the price was still low.

We rated him enough to give him a shot (and did some shuffling to remove any genuine risk of missing out), gave him a decent shot at cementing a spot, and decided to move on when we attracted Rankine. If we don't get Izak, it's very likely Jimmy is on our list coming into 2023, but them the breaks when you're a role player.
So we used 2 picks on a player that had known limitations and didn’t work out. Why are you debating me?

So we used 2 picks on a player that had known limitations and didn’t work out. Why are you debating me?

Because it's a stupid and completely irrelevant complaint/comment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back