Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The elephant in the room is Matthew Nicks. After all, coaching stability can be as much of a negative as it is a positive, especially for a losing side as there is nothing worse for a coaches message than constant losing. Once a coach message stales out, teams have a nasty habit of plummeting, especially sides who are young and reliant on effort.

If he's good enough to keep the group driven and on-edge, and our key players stay healthy, the rest should sort itself out with us improving this year. I'm decently confident that he is good enough.
Don't forget the possible burgess fitness effect in year 2 of his program. That alone if it plays out should make us competitive physically for 4 quarters each game

Lets not forget Saints, Bulldogs and probably Tigers and Blues that are on the edge and could go either way. Quite possible they fall backwards in '23.
Saints particularly could take a fall.

I suspect Lyon may take a long term view at the expense of next season.

Also, missing their gun forward.

The type of person that knows it was a stupid thing to do so why not make the person look like more of a fool and let the media know about it.

I don't think it's a big deal except it just confirms that Tex doesn't have very good judgement for a guy in his 30's.
Assuming it was him who sent it...

Saints particularly could take a fall.

I suspect Lyon may take a long term view at the expense of next season.

Also, missing their gun forward.
Saints list reminds me of North Melbourne's list in the last few years of Brad Scott

Lots of experience but not much of it quality experience. Badly lacking star power, weak key position depth, average midfield. I reckon the ceiling for what they have is making up the 8 and they'll need a full rebuild in the next few years

Saints list reminds me of North Melbourne's list in the last few years of Brad Scott

Lots of experience but not much of it quality experience. Badly lacking star power, weak key position depth, average midfield. I reckon the ceiling for what they have is making up the 8 and they'll need a full rebuild in the next few years
Lyon is a smart guy. I reckon he takes a hit this year & prioritises younger players at the expense of wins.... then trades out plenty of players at the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's not good enough, why is 2023 exciting? Shouldn't it be a dismal year ahead?

Well 2023 is exciting because we will find out if he is good enough. As I said - I don't think he is good enough. It ain't the gospel, just my outside observation.

But either way it should be exciting. If I am wrong about Nicks - then we do really well and climb the ladder - then its a great and exciting result.

If Nicks stinks it up - then hopefully he is gone at the end of the year, we got another season into our young players and hopefully get a top notch coach and are primed to start our climb up the ladder in 2024.

What scares the shit outta me is we have another 5-9 win season, keep Nicks and do it all again in 2024.

This one annoys me because I got it so wrong 😑

• IQ through the roof
  • Arse factor through the roof
  • Grit through the roof

Just as I made a bold prediction he would be a flop I now see Sam Walsh in him which Im sure will draw criticism. This could end up Hamish's best ever pick.
If Nank and Taylor keep coming on it could be his best ever draft

I've never bothered looking at the year book before but are we meant to have access to the Player Induction Manual, which in turn gives us access to the coaches, key admin staff mobile numbers? Seems weird that they would make a document like that public viewing.
Scott Burns strikes me as a bloke who'd take a random phone call pretty well.

Let me know how you go . . .

is it me, or is the AFC going out of their way to not show any actual video of Rankine training?

I think I've seen some laps being run and thats it.

Perhaps trying to temper expectations, which is probably a smart move, if intentional.

Lets not forget Saints, Bulldogs and probably Tigers and Blues that are on the edge and could go either way. Quite possible they fall backwards in '23.
Tigers will move up and challenge for the flag with tarranto (he's a pure jet) and hopper to win the inside bull + Bolton a year old and Dusty with less pressure.

Blues will also challenge. They were rocketed with injury last year.

Adelaide defender Chayce Jones is preparing to head into his fifth AFL season with one main goal - to play consistent, strong footy.

Jones, who was recruited at the 2018 National Draft, only missed three games this past campaign, to increase his total games played to 58.

Speaking to AFC Media, the 22-year-old said he was keen to build on his 2022 form and help the team in whatever way he could.

“I just want to keep taking my game to another level,” Jones said.

“There’s been glimpses where I’ve shown I can play but I just want to keep going and play more consistent footy.

“It’s just about coming in with a good pre-season, you set yourself up when you can train fully and that’s when you get the most chance to improve yourself.

“I’m keen to help the team as much as I can, whether that’s in defence, or on the wing or in the midfield, you want to play the best footy you can, which is ultimately going to help the team.”

The rebounding defender said his second pre-season under renowned fitness guru Darren Burgess had been solid and he was looking forward to getting back into it after the Christmas break.

Jones said there were two players in particular that had caught his eye so far this pre-season.

“Pre-season has been good, it’s another build up to what will hopefully be a good year,” Jones said.

“All the boys came back back fit and ready to go again.

“Izak Rankine has come in with flying colours, and the other one is Josh Worrell.

“He is really taking his game to another level, hitting his kicks and showing his run off halfback, which is what we need.”

Jones said he would be travelling back to Tasmania for the Christmas break, before rejoining his teammates for the second half of pre-season on January 9.

“It’s really exciting because we are able to go through it altogether and keep building towards something special,” Jones said.

is it me, or is the AFC going out of their way to not show any actual video of Rankine training?

I think I've seen some laps being run and thats it.

Perhaps trying to temper expectations, which is probably a smart move, if intentional.
Jones said there were two players in particular that had caught his eye so far this pre-season.

“Pre-season has been good, it’s another build up to what will hopefully be a good year,” Jones said.

“All the boys came back back fit and ready to go again.

“Izak Rankine has come in with flying colours, and the other one is Josh Worrell.

“He is really taking his game to another level, hitting his kicks and showing his run off halfback, which is what we need.”

Adelaide off-season news: Stay up to date with everything happening at the Crows​

The 2021 draft class was littered with young guns. How does Josh Rachele compare to the best of them? He opens up on his first year at the Crows.Josh Rachele is more than comfortable with how he compares to his fellow 2021 draftees.
“I think I’m just as good as any of those boys,” Rachele said of a crop headlined by Collingwood’s unanimous Rising Star winner Nick Daicos.
“Our draft year especially was a very strong draft year.
“I think I can be as good as any of those boys.”
But Rachele was envious and disappointed at how his output compared to some of his 2021 counterparts by the end of last season.
“Seeing the boys in my draft year play most games, like a Nick Daicos or guys who went late in the draft like (St Kilda’s) Marcus Windhager playing every game and being consistent, it did frustrate me a little bit,” he said.
“It kind of drives you a lot more for 2023 to play consistent footy.”
No one in the 2021 draft crop started their careers as well as Rachele.
He booted five goals on debut in Adelaide’s season-opener, a narrow home loss to Fremantle.
The next week, the small forward gathered 20 disposals and kicked a major in the defeat to Collingwood.

By the end of round 5, he had kicked 12 goals and regularly shown his class in the Crows’ forward line.
But he only featured in eight more matches, getting sidelined in July with a hip injury then being ruled out for the season in early August.
“With my first few games, I could see the level I could play at so it did get a bit frustrating and my body let me down a bit,” he said.
“But I think it was better to go the way I went about it – train really hard, push to your limits, instead of breezing through a normal first year.
“I’ve picked up little things along the way.
“Next it’s just about building consistency and playing at a high level week in, week out.”
Rachele said he had not sat out any drills this pre-season and had grown in confidence in his body.

As well as adding one or 2kg, a personal focus had been to improve his contested marking.
He has often had taller defenders, such as Tom Doedee and Brodie Smith, stand him at training.
“I don’t just want that stock standard small forward that just stays on the ground,” said the 180cm, 80kg talent, who also hoped to attend more centre bounces next season.
“I think I can play taller for my height.”
Off the field, Rachele moved in with fellow 2021 draftees Jake Soligo and Luke Nankervis in October.

He described his relationship with his new housemates as “kind of like brothers”.
“We got back (training) early … and I think we just drive ourselves to have high expectations,” he said

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back