Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Which of these players do you think will be selected in the Crows' Round 1 team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

is it me, or is the AFC going out of their way to not show any actual video of Rankine training?

I think I've seen some laps being run and thats it.

Perhaps trying to temper expectations, which is probably a smart move, if intentional.
Nah there was one vid floating around of him doing a drill. Might be a bit less since he has been in the non contact hat.

Don't forget the possible burgess fitness effect in year 2 of his program. That alone if it plays out should make us competitive physically for 4 quarters each game

We were decently competitive throughout games this year, if anything, we lost a handle on games due to a lack of quality players coming to the fore when momentum swung against us. That should help somewhat to alleviate that lack of quality though and we might get to the point this year where we are fitter than some of the mid-table sides.

We were decently competitive throughout games this year, if anything, we lost a handle on games due to a lack of quality players coming to the fore when momentum swung against us. That should help somewhat to alleviate that lack of quality though and we might get to the point this year where we are fitter than some of the mid-table sides.
There was only 3 maybe 4 games this season that we didn't have a realistic chance, most of our losses if we had a bit more talent, quality and consistency we could have won.

That 2021 draft group of Rachele, Soligo, Taylor and Nankervis looks a ripper. If 2020 can come on more this season in Thilthorpe Pedlar, Cook and Berry we will have a very solid young portion of the list.

There was only 3 maybe 4 games this season that we didn't have a realistic chance, most of our losses if we had a bit more talent, quality and consistency we could have won.

That 2021 draft group of Rachele, Soligo, Taylor and Nankervis looks a ripper. If 2020 can come on more this season in Thilthorpe Pedlar, Cook and Berry we will have a very solid young portion of the list.

The thing is though, once we start adding talent and improving, teams will take us more seriously and try harder to beat us. Some of the games we lost with a respectably close margin, the opposition didn't play (and didn't have to play) four quarter football

For example in the Sydney game in round 19, they comprehensively tore us apart in the first quarter and coasted for the rest of the game.

The thing is though, once we start adding talent and improving, teams will take us more seriously and try harder to beat us. Some of the games we lost with a respectably close margin, the opposition didn't play (and didn't have to play) four quarter football

For example in the Sydney game in round 19, they comprehensively tore us apart in the first quarter and coasted for the rest of the game.
Yeah but there's also games like Geelong and Melbourne last year and Richmond and Carlton this year where they threw their best at us and we absorbed them. At our best we definitely have it in us, next year is just about us playing at that level more consistently.

Last edited:

I have never bought into this concept. If you were an AFL coach would you accept your team doing that? If mine did there'd be changes flat out regardless of the result. You want to win grand finals then you jettison anyone who won't give their all. AFL players get where they are by being super competitive. The sorts of people that keep mental ledgers of how they've gone against opponents. Do you think they'd just let an opponent get back in the mind game by letting them rack up easy contest wins?

I can accept teams tiring if they've absolutely busted a gut earlier and therefore playing the last part of the last quarter in a coast of sorts. Thats about as far as I'll go tho.

I have never bought into this concept. If you were an AFL coach would you accept your team doing that? If mine did there'd be changes flat out regardless of the result. You want to win grand finals then you jettison anyone who won't give their all. AFL players get where they are by being super competitive. The sorts of people that keep mental ledgers of how they've gone against opponents. Do you think they'd just let an opponent get back in the mind game by letting them rack up easy contest wins?

I can accept teams tiring if they've absolutely busted a gut earlier and therefore playing the last part of the last quarter in a coast of sorts. Thats about as far as I'll go tho.
Coaches don't want teams to do it but they absolutely do. Lots of teams don't rock up against poor teams including us a few years back

Coaches don't want teams to do it but they absolutely do. Lots of teams don't rock up against poor teams including us a few years back
I can't recall ever being on the field in a game where my team was belting the opposition and deciding to coast. Anyone that played the game do that?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't recall ever being on the field in a game where my team was belting the opposition and deciding to coast. Anyone that played the game do that?

Swans were still to lock in a finals berth and ended up missing the top 2 by less than 3%. I don't think that they were coasting intentionally.

And no, never coasted.

It’s more a subconscious thing.

However sometimes it’s just because the losing team didn’t turn up to start the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fish is also listed as a key forward now, odd thing to bother updating if he's definitely going like some think. Oh Nank is listed as a midfielder forward for some reason. No other player is listed as that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221223-014555_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221223-014555_Chrome.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
I lasted 1 minute 46 seconds before I had to turn that off - geez sorry but those two are painful, it was like an overseas phone call 20 years ago, as fluid as a brick.
You lasted that long?

You really a glutton for punishment....that's 1 minute 46 seconds of your life you'll never get back.

Well 2023 is exciting because we will find out if he is good enough. As I said - I don't think he is good enough. It ain't the gospel, just my outside observation.

But either way it should be exciting. If I am wrong about Nicks - then we do really well and climb the ladder - then its a great and exciting result.

If Nicks stinks it up - then hopefully he is gone at the end of the year, we got another season into our young players and hopefully get a top notch coach and are primed to start our climb up the ladder in 2024.

What scares the s**t outta me is we have another 5-9 win season, keep Nicks and do it all again in 2024.
The problem is we are still transitioning the team into a rebuilt team.

While Sloane, Smith, Tex, even Crouch (hopefully not playing), Seedsman are in the team, we are still passing on knowledge through experience.

The mid tier are not there yet with Dawson, Doedee, Fogarty, Rankine Milera all under 100 games, and the young ones talented but inconsistent.

IMO Nicks should still be concentrating on the transitioning over wins, and this means not picking the best 22 each week.

Success this year to me will be less wins (but I dont want to lose, would love to make finals), and more about what our best 22 looks like at the end of the year.

I can handle Tex going around again, but I don't want to see the others I named up top in 2024. If this means just 8 wins again, but the team has transitioned, that's something to build on in 2024, not a step backwards IMO.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem is we are still transitioning the team into a rebuilt team.

While Sloane, Smith, Tex, even Crouch (hopefully not playing), Seedsman are in the team, we are still passing on knowledge through experience.

The mid tier are not there yet with Dawson, Doedee, Fogarty, Rankine Milera all under 100 games, and the young ones talented but inconsistent.

IMO Nicks should still be concentrating on the transitioning over wins, and this means not picking the best 22 each week.

Success this year to me will be less wins (but I dont want to lose, would love to make finals), and more about what our best 22 looks like at the end of the year.

I can handle Tex going around again, but I don't want to see the others I named up top in 2024. If this means just 8 wins again, but the team has transitioned, that's something to build on in 2024, not a step backwards IMO.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It would still be a pass for me if we have at least identified Smith's replacement, even if we haven't replaced him yet. But we also need a second running half back so Dawson can play wing.

As for Sloane and Crouch, I doubt playing them all year would get us even one more win compared with not playing them at all and blooding kids. Injury/ rest cover for Laird should be the extent of their playing time.

I think this post describes the 2022 season .....2023 requires a best 22 approach, which Nicks would be close to establishing ....albeit there's a few still requiring AFL conditioning & experience

But 10 wins are the minimum acceptable next season

I think this post describes the 2022 season .....2023 requires a best 22 approach, which Nicks would be close to establishing ....albeit there's a few still requiring AFL conditioning & experience

But 10 wins are the minimum acceptable next season
If we go Best 22 then inconsistent performances will see the likes of Pedlar (or Worrell, Rachele, Schoenberg... any young player really) out of the team

Or yoyoing in and out

I think we still need to ride out some form flat spots rather than react with the selection axe

If we go Best 22 then inconsistent performances will see the likes of Pedlar (or Worrell, Rachele, Schoenberg... any young player really) out of the team

Or yoyoing in and out

I think we still need to ride out some form flat spots rather than react with the selection axe
Agree ...IMO players will be still given extended runs, with yo-yo form .....however they still won't have a mortgage on a senior spot

Hopefully there's good pressure from beneath ....we do have a reasonable list depth of youngsters ......it's just KPP depth where we struggle currently

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2022/23 Talk & Media/Social Media etc.

Back