Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Not true.

It was Collingwood’s choice (not the AFL) to bring Scott Selwood back instead of hiring a sports psychologist

Ditto Josh Fraser

Ditto Neville Jetta

Ditto retaining Nick Maxwell rather than hiring a sports psychologist.

It’s about priorities. Collingwood clearly think that stuff is low priority if they’re choosing to hire other roles instead.

We can’t blame the AFL for that
Agree with that. Jetta is subsidised though.

Not true.

It was Collingwood’s choice (not the AFL) to bring Scott Selwood back instead of hiring a sports psychologist

Ditto Josh Fraser

Ditto Neville Jetta

It’s about priorities. Collingwood clearly think that stuff is low priority if they’re choosing to hire other roles instead.

What does Maxwell do - what's he accountable for in his current role?

What does Maxwell do - what's he accountable for in his current role?

IIRC he was hired to help with leadership?

We see him on the bench on game day with the headset on to the coaches box.

Not true.

Ditto Josh Fraser

Ditto Neville Jetta

We also got Adam Shepard back in to help with recruiting.

You're actually making Browne's point, which is that footy clubs will naturally have to deal with footy first and the cuts that the AFL can be blamed for, are now unnecessary and are putting the players' physical and metal well being at risk by way of diminished rescources.

The AFL should back us in as not hitting a new super-strain and be rebounding back to pre-Covid levels for the good of the game and players.

For those wondering Nick maxwell said on the dyl and friends poscast that he is essentially 2IC to G Wright, basically does work in everything but recruiting.

Ok but I hope he knows
I thought the same about Maxwell's role when I heard we were going the mental health angle with our argument to raise the soft cap. The cynic in me suggests that we're complaining that the soft cap stops us from supporting player's mental health with psychologists meanwhile we've employed a former premiership captain to be a motivational and cultural leader ... It's pretty poor and disingenuous.

The AFL should just shut us up and the other clubs who are using this argument in such a cynical way, by granting clubs an amount of money outside the soft cap that can only pay for a trained psychologist.

I thought the same about Maxwell's role when I heard we were going the mental health angle with our argument to raise the soft cap. The cynic in me suggests that we're complaining that the soft cap stops us from supporting player's mental health with psychologists meanwhile we've employed a former premiership captain to be a motivational and cultural leader ... It's pretty poor and disingenuous.

The AFL should just shut us up and the other clubs who are using this argument in such a cynical way, by granting clubs an amount of money outside the soft cap that can only pay for a trained psychologist.
I thought ole Jeff was being a bit sneaky. What I interpreted him saying was, "We have got plenty of dough which gives us a potential competitive advantage if we are allowed to spend more of it on the footy department compared to other clubs that might not."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought ole Jeff was being a bit sneaky. What I interpreted him saying was, "We have got plenty of dough which gives us a potential competitive advantage if we are allowed to spend more of it on the footy department compared to other clubs that might not."
100% why he's saying what he's saying and I hope the cap is raised for that reason, but the cynical exploitation of mental health issues in that way is pretty ugly.

Hit the nail on the head here. Mandate a club psychologist and either hold it outside the cap or put an extra 120k (or whatever the going rate is) into the cap.

Hit the nail on the head here. Mandate a club psychologist and either hold it outside the cap or put an extra 120k (or whatever the going rate is) into the cap.

I doubt there’d be sufficient work for a full time psych at any club but I’d imagine that any player who currently either requests access to a sports psych or is deemed to need access to one actually already gets access under the existing soft cap. Has there ever been a documented case to the contrary?

Clubs could also schedule specific whole of club workshops if there was specific identified need.

Doubt either option justifies expanding the soft cap so need alternate justifications.

100% why he's saying what he's saying and I hope the cap is raised for that reason, but the cynical exploitation of mental health issues in that way is pretty ugly.

Who cares. People aren’t getting more mentally unwell because Browney is doing this. Do what it takes to get any advantage we can.

Who cares. People aren’t getting more mentally unwell because Browney is doing this. Do what it takes to get any advantage we can.
They do in the long run because a valid argument that is misused becomes dismissed because of previous misuse. "They're playing the mental health card again..."

It is so blissfully quiet.
The only person we hear from is our McRae.
Love it.

No outlandish statements, no public stoushes, no criticism of other clubs, no media chasing the next gaff.

It’s heaven.

P.S. I know Eddie’s belligerence had a time and a place, but it had worn very thin.

No outlandish statements, no public stoushes, no criticism of other clubs, no media chasing the next gaff.

It’s heaven.

P.S. I know Eddie’s belligerence had a time and a place, but it had worn very thin.
We have:
  • a president who embraces the "Sounds of Silence"
  • a CEO free to do his job without putting out fires
  • a proven footy manager
  • coach and coaching staff who know their job and do it
  • players who embrace the game plan
  • fans who embrace the players while they are embracing the game plan

Loving it 👍👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back