Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Still no word on the term limits that the previous Board was looking to instate.

From someone who knows someone, it's all part of an ongoing review. The term limits require constitutional change, so it's harder to enact. The voting rights changes do not, hence why they're easily done.

From someone who knows someone, it's all part of an ongoing review. The term limits require constitutional change, so it's harder to enact. The voting rights changes do not, hence why they're easily done.
It’s easy…put it to the members…change the constitution.

Any footy supporter who considers Premierships to be the measure of success and satisfaction are doomed to live a pretty miserable life.

Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon and even North Melbourne have all won more Premierships in my lifetime than Collingwood, but you reckon their supporters are more satisfied than us with their lot?

No way!

Even Richmond - you’d have to have a very short memory to think that Richmond supporters have had a fun time along the journey.

Of course Premierships are nice to win, but IMO they’re only a small part of the joy of being a footy supporter. I’d be a friggen’ miserable sod otherwise.
Are you kidding?

The idea of competition is to better than your competition. It's not up for debate.

The end game is flags, and we've been deplorable, if your happy with prelimanryships then good for you.

But I'd argue that most Pie fans want flags, not prelim wins or high profile or any other BS.

Flags are not the only but certainly the most important. That is not up for debate.

Any footy supporter who considers Premierships to be the measure of success and satisfaction are doomed to live a pretty miserable life.

Brisbane, Carlton, Essendon and even North Melbourne have all won more Premierships in my lifetime than Collingwood, but you reckon their supporters are more satisfied than us with their lot?

No way!

Even Richmond - you’d have to have a very short memory to think that Richmond supporters have had a fun time along the journey.

Of course Premierships are nice to win, but IMO they’re only a small part of the joy of being a footy supporter. I’d be a friggen’ miserable sod otherwise.
Think I've just figured out why you call yourself "76woodenspooners" - that was a proud year for us?
Have you requested the club display the wooden spoon alongside the cups?

Think I've just figured out why you call yourself "76woodenspooners" - that was a proud year for us?
St Kilda had to build extensions at Moorabbin to fit in their Wooden Spoon display cabinets.

I imagine they likely will.... at the next AGM.
Will likely be next year assuming it goes ahead, which in hope it will, as without dismissing all the positives that Ed brought as President, there were ultimately systemic faults that put too much power in the hands of too few.

Those faults have or are being ironed out in the review, but I think term limits should be written in to protect us collectively from this happening again.

Curious to see if they’re tossing out the old constitution and starting afresh …

… or making updates to the existing one. I can imagine pros and cons of both.

There are shades of grey between black and white.

Premierships are only on offer during one round of the year.

And as interesting as the past is, I typically find the future more exciting and interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you kidding?

The idea of competition is to better than your competition. It's not up for debate.

The end game is flags, and we've been deplorable, if your happy with prelimanryships then good for you.

LOL, for real? 🤣

We beat Carlton this year. Twice. The old enemy. The other club to go through boardroom upheaval. The other club to get a new coach - and a new coach from the same stable as ours. One of those wins was by a point to knock them out of finals by 0.6%, and to get us into top 4. How friggen’ awesome was that!?!

We beat Essendon this year. Twice. One of them was a break-out game by a young 9 game rookie who stuck it up Kane Kornes in the most epic slam down of a footy media pundit ever by kicking a bag and winning the ANZAC Day medal in front of the biggest H&A crowd of the season. How friggen’ awesome was that? The other game was won by play-of-the-season that led to Jamie’s 50m goal from the boundary after the siren. How friggen’ awesome was that?!?

We defeated the reigning Premiers. Twice.

We won 17 games of footy. The vast majority of them were thrilling wins. 18 weeks of this year I went around with a smile on my dial and pep in my step (I’m counting the round 23 win twice because the win was so epic to carry right through the bye round)

We made top 4 … which is - as you say - better than 14 other members of our competition.

One of our players got a perfect voting score for Rising Star … the future looks bright!

Our Senior coach got AFLCA Coach of the year … the future looks bright!

We unearthed some real talent this year. A 19yo five game rookie kicked 40 goals. Naicos is on course to become the player of his generation.

My personal fav was McCreery’s tackling show - dragging players over the boundary by the scruff of their neck, or effortlessly dragging their jumper up over their head to leave them flailing around.

Jaicos really stepped it up to get the best out of himself.

Johnson threaded the needle by somehow getting the ball to bend in the air inwards then outwards through the big sticks. And he made that kick twice to show that it was no fluke.

Carmichael provided giggles - bouncing around like a pinball machine and kicking two goals on debut.

If you really reckon that’s all “deplorable” then I’m wondering why you’re setting yourself up for such a life of misery?

And to be clear - I’m not settling for any mediocrity - every single thing I’ve listed above, and there were many, many more - were winning occasions to cheer about.

Last edited:
LOL, for real? 🤣

We beat Carlton this year. Twice. The old enemy. The other club to go through boardroom upheaval. The other club to get a new coach - and a new coach from the same stable as ours. One of those wins was by a point to knock them out of finals by 0.6%, and to get us into top 4. How friggen’ awesome was that!?!

We beat Essendon this year. Twice. One of them was a break-out game by a young 9 game rookie who stuck it up Kane Kornes in the most epic slam down of a footy media pundit ever by kicking a bag and winning the ANZAC Day medal in front of the biggest H&A crowd of the season. How friggen’ awesome was that? The other game was won by play-of-the-season that led to Jamie’s 50m goal from the boundary after the siren. How friggen’ awesome was that?!?

We won 17 games of footy. The vast majority of them were thrilling wins. 18 weeks of this year I went around with a smile on my dial and pep in my step (I’m counting the round 23 win twice because the win was so epic to carry right through the bye round)

We made top 4 … which is - as you say - better than 14 other members of our competition.

One of our players got a perfect voting score for Rising Star … the future looks bright!

We unearthed some real talent this year. A 19yo five game rookie kicked 40 goals. Naicos is on course to become the player of his generation.

My personal fav was McCreery’s tackling show - dragging players over the boundary by the scruff of their neck, or effortlessly dragging their jumper up over their head to leave them flailing around.

Johnson threaded the needle by somehow getting the ball to bend in the air inwards then outwards through the big sticks. And he made that kick twice to show that it was no fluke.

Carmichael provided giggles - bouncing around like a pinball machine and kicking two goals on debut.

If you really reckon that’s all “deplorable” then I’m wondering why you’re setting yourself up for such a life of misery?

And to be clear - I’m not settling for any mediocrity - every single thing I’ve listed above, and there were many, many more - were winning occasions to cheer about.
Yes for real!

'We made top 4 … which is - as you say - better than 14 other members of our competition.' It's an 18 team competition, not 14.

'We beat Carlton this year. Twice. The old enemy. The other club to go through boardroom upheaval. The other club to get a new coach - and a new coach from the same stable as ours. One of those wins was by a point to knock them out of finals by 0.6%, and to get us into top 4. How friggen’ awesome was that!?!'

Yes it was awesome, but they still have more flags than us, if you wanna use this as a 'win' then it doesn't mean much if they win another one before we do.

I get your 'positivity' but at the end of the day the most coveted factor of this competition is flags. That's not up for debate. You might not see it that way but I'm comfortable that my bet is the club see it that way and so do the bulk of us fans.

So yeah for real.

Yes for real!

'We made top 4 … which is - as you say - better than 14 other members of our competition.' It's an 18 team competition, not 14.

'We beat Carlton this year. Twice. The old enemy. The other club to go through boardroom upheaval. The other club to get a new coach - and a new coach from the same stable as ours. One of those wins was by a point to knock them out of finals by 0.6%, and to get us into top 4. How friggen’ awesome was that!?!'

Yes it was awesome, but they still have more flags than us, if you wanna use this as a 'win' then it doesn't mean much if they win another one before we do.

I get your 'positivity' but at the end of the day the most coveted factor of this competition is flags. That's not up for debate. You might not see it that way but I'm comfortable that my bet is the club see it that way and so do the bulk of us fans.

So yeah for real.

Nup, the club clearly don’t see it that way.

Did you see our senior coach up on stage at the Copeland lamenting that we had been “deplorable”? (your word). No.

Many fans don’t see it that way either. Our supporters in the prelim crowd - after a game we lost and our season was over - got up the “COLLINGWOOOOOOOOD” chant to drown out Swans festivities. It was epic.

Would we rather have made it to the GF and won a Premiership? Of course. Are we going to lament us as being “deplorable” for not? I truly hope not - I reckon that was our attitude during the Colliwobble years … where we were so frothingly desperate to win a Premiership that we tripped over our own bootlaces.

Nup, the club clearly don’t see it that way.

Did you see our senior coach up on stage at the Copeland lamenting that we had been “deplorable”? (your word). No.

Many fans don’t see it that way either. Our supporters in the prelim crowd - after a game we lost and our season was over - got up the “COLLINGWOOOOOOOOD” chant to drown out Swans festivities. It was epic.

Would we rather have made it to the GF and won a Premiership? Of course. Are we going to lament us as being “deplorable” for not? I truly hope not - I reckon that was our attitude during the Colliwobble years … where we were so frothingly desperate to win a Premiership that we tripped over our own bootlaces.

So you're suggesting that cups is not the end game for the club. Ok, says it all. Reckon ol Jeff might take umbrage with your thinking. Reckon Fly stating that 'we're here to win this thing' might also be at odds with your belief.

Why bother competing at all if you're not striving to be better than your competition, just to make up the numbers?

Maybe you're right, other clubs want it more and that's why we don't win flags.

Life must be rosy as a Pie fan for you, coz it doesn't matter where we sit in the competition. How very comfortable.

So you're suggesting that cups is not the end game for the club. Ok, says it all. Reckon ol Jeff might take umbrage with your thinking. Reckon Fly stating that 'we're here to win this thing' might also be at odds with your belief.

Why bother competing at all if you're not striving to be better than your competition, just to make up the numbers?

Maybe you're right, other clubs want it more and that's why we don't win flags.

Life must be rosy as a Pie fan for you, coz it doesn't matter where we sit in the competition. How very comfortable.

As I said, I’d rather see our club be rewarded by winning Premierships.

But when we don’t, I’m not going to write us off as “deplorable”. As I listed, there are plenty of other things to take great joy in. And most of those other things did involving seeing our players strive to be better and actually be better than our opposition … which they did far more often than not this season.

Being a footy supporter would be miserable pursuit otherwise.

But when we don’t, I’m not going to write us off as “deplorable”. As I listed, there are plenty of other things to take great joy in. And most of those other things did involving seeing our players strive to be better and actually be better than our opposition … which they did far more often than not this season.

Agree with this.

It is possible to recognise a premiership as the end game and still celebrate all the other smaller successes.

Learning to enjoy the journey is not "hollow positivity" or settling for less. It is choosing a better way to live.

As a footy supporter I'd be a pretty miserable bast*rd overall if flags were the only thing I got joy from; even if the team I supported won one every 3rd year.

You're assuming my view is that the position of the club and most fans is flags and flags only.

Wrong. My view is the club and most fans view flags as the end game, not the only game and will do everything in their power to achieve the end game (despite our history of multiple self foot shootings).

It's not an either or.

You're suggesting the club is not doing everything in it's power to achieve the end game with the "ah well we've played in a lot of gf's and prelims - that's good enough" mantra.

There is no known universe the club thinks this way, this was proven with Fly's comment "we're here to win this thing". If they thought this way we'd be lucky to win a game at all, may as well turn the lights out and shut the doors.

Not sure why you keep bringing up 'deplorable', I haven't suggested that the club is 'deplorable', you must have me confused with another poster.

Agree with this.

It is possible to recognise a premiership as the end game and still celebrate all the other smaller successes.

Learning to enjoy the journey is not "hollow positivity" or settling for less. It is choosing a better way to live.

As a footy supporter I'd be a pretty miserable bast*rd overall if flags were the only thing I got joy from; even if the team I supported won one every 3rd year.

Can you find a Pie fan that doesn't celebrate the smaller successes?

This is what I find reactive, the assumption that some fans (no doubt I am the assumed) are miserable unless flags. That'd be a very simplistic assumption.

I doubt you'd find any Pie fan disappointed with this season. Lot's of things to celebrate.

None the less I imagine we all envy the cats season more so, that doesn't equate to misery or dismissing the good bits.

You're assuming my view is that the position of the club and most fans is flags and flags only.

Nah, I’m assuming that you think our record is deplorable. And assuming that because you did say it 👆

You're suggesting the club is not doing everything in it's power to achieve the end game with the "ah well we've played in a lot of gf's and prelims - that's good enough" mantra.

Where did I suggest any such thing?

As our coach has said from his first day, winning is a process not an outcome.

Sure, the club is doing everything in their power for individual players to be their best selves, and for the team to collectively be the team they can be, and that our team is striving to be better than other teams, and if at the end of all of that we win a Premiership, then great.

‘Cause the thing is, 17 other clubs are striving for exactly the same thing.

… 'deplorable', I haven't suggested that the club is 'deplorable', you must have me confused with another poster.

Is this not you? …

Are you kidding?

But I'd argue that most Pie fans want flags, not prelim wins or high profile or any other BS.

Flags are not the only but certainly the most important. That is not up for debate.

LOL, for real? 🤣

In all seriousness I think I was on a bigger high after the second win over Carlton this year than I was when we won 2010. Sad but true.

Nah, I’m assuming that you think our record is deplorable. And assuming that because you did say it 👆
Our record is deplorable, which is moot anyway because that doesn't equate to "I think the club is deplorable" - that's a very simplistic take from you.

Is this not you? …

Are you kidding?

The end game is flags, and we've been deplorable in our gf records, if your happy with prelimanryships then good for you.

But I'd argue that most Pie fans want flags, not just prelim wins or high profile or any other BS.

And? Can you not read or comprehend? I've even edited it for you in bold so you can't mistake the context this time.

How many times do I have to state this for you to stop suggesting I think otherwise?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back