Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

Either way, "woke" as it's being used is overkill for the footy discussion at hand. It's just extremist arguing.

People tie their identities to their footy club.

To be a “Collingwood supporter” means something. And that something is very different to folks who identify as a “Carlton supporter” or a “Eagles supporter” or whatever.

If their footy club starts taking value positions that some supporters just can’t relate to or don’t agree with, then those supporters get alienated from something that they’ve tied their identity to. Naturally that’s going to really upset some people.

To be a “Collingwood supporter” means something. And that something is very different to folks who identify as a “Carlton supporter” or a “Eagles supporter” or whatever.

If their footy club starts taking value positions that some supporters just can’t relate to or don’t agree with, then those supporters get alienated from something that they’ve tied their identity to. Naturally that’s going to really upset some people.
The issue is that doing nothing is also taking a political stance in terms of some issues. If the rest of the footy world is taking the knee in response to BLM, you've got to discuss it and make a political decision regarding what you as a club are going to do.

Interested on your thoughts as to what being a collingwood supporter is. Seems to me we are miles off our working class identity. Eddie through smoke & mirrors retained some link but reality is we are just another corporate entity. I separate my support of cfc from any real care or support for the board or its business.

Interested on your thoughts as to what being a collingwood supporter is. Seems to me we are miles off our working class identity. Eddie through smoke & mirrors retained some link but reality is we are just another corporate entity. I separate my support of cfc from any real care or support for the board or its business.
I think that’s pretty harsh. The Magpie Nest is an authentic community program that benefits really disadvantaged people. We also maintain a relationship with the Salvation Army.

This community work maintains our working class heritage of a club for the people.

The issue is that doing nothing is also taking a political stance in terms of some issues. If the rest of the footy world is taking the knee in response to BLM, you've got to discuss it and make a political decision regarding what you as a club are going to do.

True. But people generally cut a bit more slack to 25 year old footy heros and heroines who are trying to find their political way in the world … compared with board candidates.

I think that’s pretty harsh. The Magpie Nest is an authentic community program that benefits really disadvantaged people. We also maintain a relationship with the Salvation Army.

This community work maintains our working class heritage of a club for the people.
Yes. I didn't mean to tear the club down, I just don't believe that many supporters are heavily invested in this identity thing. If we were to shift to Hobart then that would be an issue. Case in point:
Big. Diverse. Loud and Proud.
That was Eddies platform. Current board is taking a quieter approach. No big value conflict. In theory your post holds but in practice I don't believe AFL clubs stand for much outside locality and the pies left that behind decades back.

Yes. I didn't mean to tear the club down, I just don't believe that many supporters are heavily invested in this identity thing. If we were to shift to Hobart then that would be an issue. Case in point:

That was Eddies platform. Current board is taking a quieter approach. No big value conflict. In theory your post holds but in practice I don't believe AFL clubs stand for much outside locality and the pies left that behind decades back.
You make some really good points. We probably have less links to our suburb than some teams. Other than Geelong, I’d say that the Bulldogs have the next best connection with local people. Essendon also probably have a stronger connection.

Collingwood as a suburb is just too cool for footy these days.

As far as the board goes, I’m leaning towards Sean C because he promised to get decent beer for the Legends Bar.
Your vision and values have no bounds as you reach past your front fence and the bin lady for the finest things life has to offer 👍

do we have to have another person on the board.

was thinking of john bertrand if ever we have 1 spot left.

is good time to get john on the board

some how like to gain leigh matthews in there or travis auid from the afl on the board.

I am tipping Travis Auid.

The current candiadates i think just dont have it.

do we have to have another person on the board.

was thinking of john bertrand if ever we have 1 spot left.

is good time to get john on the board

some how like to gain leigh matthews in there or travis auid from the afl on the board.

I am tipping Travis Auid.

The current candiadates i think just dont have it.
John Bertrand is to old now. Perhaps a decade ago.

We need fresh.

What are your thoughts on this idea of changing our logo? I think our logo is one of the best. Who in their right mind would want to change this or advocate for this change? I will be voting for Ganley….I think it is between tuddenham and Ganley and the only difference is Tuddenham has a name largely thanks to his dad. Who do we think is best suited for the vacant board position?

What are your thoughts on this idea of changing our logo? I think our logo is one of the best. Who in their right mind would want to change this or advocate for this change? I will be voting for Ganley….I think it is between tuddenham and Ganley and the only difference is Tuddenham has a name largely thanks to his dad. Who do we think is best suited for the vacant board position?
I don't have any interest on the Board, I just love your username:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kudos for putting your hand up 👍

In my own experience, Collingwood supporters have generally been very reticent to embrace change to the game day experience, especially ones that that are seen as gimmicky or are borrowed from other sports.

How would you walk the tightrope of improving the fan experience whilst doing it in a way that doesn’t risk alienating fans?
Hi mate, apologies for the delayed response.

In essence, my aspiration is that the matchday experience is wonderful, whether you are at the ground, or importantly on the couch.

Let's start with fixtures. I want to play all Melbourne games at the MCG, and would be pushing for that. Further, MCC negotiations will be happening this year (I've already been talking to the board about my thoughts on this topic), and we MUST hold onto the Ponsford Stand. Furthermore, we must look at extending Legends seat availability from the Ponsford to also wing seating.

Also, I think it's important to ensure we've got consistent times/fixtures. I would love a standardised game time setting, where for example, we have no more than three timeslots, eg: 7:50pm Friday, 2:10 Saturday and 7:10pm Saturday. I would push for day matches and call them "Family Rounds" - because night matches are no good for kids - who are the next generation.

I'd also be keen to work out how we might maximise interstate travel with holistic experience - eg: chartering flights for Pies fans, looking at bulk travel bookings, and putting in place arrangements with travel authorities so that Pies fans can take advantage of travel and tourism experiences without breaking the bank.

As for game experience, I think it's important that we get kids involved more. I love Little League, and we should have little Magpies doing skills and activities before the match. I think we should be doing more around a "Fan School" for little Magpies. Make kids attending their first game a special experience. Reward members who might be attending their 100th, 500th, 100th, matches. Celebrate our Club, our players and our heritage.

Then there's something VERY close to my heart - the "living room experience". It's currently controlled by Foxtel. So I would be pushing for the ability to bring in our owned TV footage, commentary and other "second screen content". If I'm in Collingwood or Cairns, I should be able to watch the game and feel like I'm as important and involved as someone at the ground. This is how we'll grow our fan base - by giving people who don't really know Collingwood the "on-ramp" that makes them think: "Wow, this is an incredible Collingwood experience".

I'd be pushing for "live Collingwood matchday" before and after the match. Interviews, re-caps, etc. There's too much of a focus on portrait-shot Instagram content, and not enough that we can use on our big LCD TVs.

And my biggest bug-bear - that I basically can't re-watch classic matches on demand. THAT HAS TO CHANGE!

There are a few thoughts - I have plenty more!
How do you propose to use technology to win more games?
I do a lot of work with a variety of deep technology businesses and practitioners, and in essence, there's not a problem they can't solve. I would look to use technology and data to examine every single thing our Club does, starting with:
1. Recruit better talent: Deep analysis of AFL-wide underage talent - using machine learning to suggest things the human eye can't see and hopefully make better recruiting decisions. Further, there is a lot of software that uses artificial intelligence to examine attitudes and behaviours in interviews - and can often overcome cognitive biases and make better hiring and recruitment choices.
2. Analyse the game better: Again, it's about assisting our decisions on match day, using data to see things humans can't and make better decisions than our competitors.
3. Fitness: Use a range of biometric tools to track and optimise our athletes, recover from injury better, etc.
4. Trading: Use artificial intelligence auction systems to better advise and guide on trading tactics and the value of draft picks.
Again, these are general solutions, but my role as a Director would be to inspire, benchmark and push into these areas more.
Last year the club studiously avoided setting any win/loss expectations and made no mention of winning flags until prelim final week. (Noted that it was quite a different approach to some other clubs who went into the season more highly fancied but didn’t perform as well as we did).

Would you change Collingwood’s approach, and if so, how?
WE ARE HERE TO WIN.
THIS IS OUR ONLY REASON FOR BEING.
I WOULD PUSH FOR US TO BUILD A LONG-TERM DYNASTY.
WE SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT FLAGS, THINKING ABOUT FLAGS, WORKING TOWARDS FLAGS, AND WINNING FLAGS. ALWAYS.

www.magpie.army

Last edited:

In essence, my aspiration is that the matchday experience is wonderful, whether you are at the ground, or importantly on the couch.

Let's start with fixtures. I want to play all Melbourne games at the MCG, and would be pushing for that. Further, MCC negotiations will be happening this year (I've already been talking to the board about my thoughts on this topic), and we MUST hold onto the Ponsford Stand. Furthermore, we must look at extending Legends seat availability from the Ponsford to also wing seating.

Also, I think it's important to ensure we've got consistent times/fixtures. I would love a standardised game time setting, where for example, we have no more than three timeslots, eg: 7:50pm Friday, 2:10 Saturday and 7:10pm Saturday. I would push for day matches and call them "Family Rounds" - because night matches are no good for kids - who are the next generation.

I'd also be keen to work out how we might maximise interstate travel with holistic experience - eg: chartering flights for Pies fans, looking at bulk travel bookings, and putting in place arrangements with travel authorities so that Pies fans can take advantage of travel and tourism experiences without breaking the bank.

As for game experience, I think it's important that we get kids involved more. I love Little League, and we should have little Magpies doing skills and activities before the match. I think we should be doing more around a "Fan School" for little Magpies. Make kids attending their first game a special experience. Reward members who might be attending their 100th, 500th, 100th, matches. Celebrate our Club, our players and our heritage.

Then there's something VERY close to my heart - the "living room experience". It's currently controlled by Foxtel. So I would be pushing for the ability to bring in our owned TV footage, commentary and other "second screen content". If I'm in Collingwood or Cairns, I should be able to watch the game and feel like I'm as important and involved as someone at the ground. This is how we'll grow our fan base - by giving people who don't really know Collingwood the "on-ramp" that makes them think: "Wow, this is an incredible Collingwood experience".

I'd be pushing for "live Collingwood matchday" before and after the match. Interviews, re-caps, etc. There's too much of a focus on portrait-shot Instagram content, and not enough that we can use on our big LCD TVs.

And my biggest bug-bear - that I basically can't re-watch classic matches on demand. THAT HAS TO CHANGE!

I do a lot of work with a variety of deep technology businesses and practitioners, and in essence, there's not a problem they can't solve. I would look to use technology and data to examine every single thing our Club does, starting with:
1. Recruit better talent: Deep analysis of AFL-wide underage talent - using machine learning to suggest things the human eye can't see and hopefully make better recruiting decisions. Further, there is a lot of software that uses artificial intelligence to examine attitudes and behaviours in interviews - and can often overcome cognitive biases and make better hiring and recruitment choices.
2. Analyse the game better: Again, it's about assisting our decisions on match day, using data to see things humans can't and make better decisions than our competitors.
3. Fitness: Use a range of biometric tools to track and optimise our athletes, recover from injury better, etc.
4. Trading: Use artificial intelligence auction systems to better advise and guide on trading tactics and the value of draft picks.
Again, these are general solutions, but my role as a Director would be to inspire, benchmark and push into these areas more.

WE ARE HERE TO WIN.
WE SHOULD BE TALKING ABOUT FLAGS, THINKING ABOUT FLAGS, WORKING TOWARDS FLAGS, AND WINNING FLAGS. ALWAYS.

Thanks for your thoughts. A little hard to achieve say 11 home games at the G.
Richmond and Melbourne likely want similar.

3 games at Marvel is OK I think.

Half a dozen or so away interstate.

Hey Stronzatello,

I have a few thoughts on this. Firstly, I love the simplicity of a bold, strong magpie, standing proud. That for me is perfect.
IMG_2214.jpg

I worked with the Club years ago - my agency created the Collingwood Forever website, branding, etc. At that time, many in The Club realised the design language was a mess. Different logos for different teams, random views of black and white stripes, use of gold, silver, grey, etc. A real dog's breakfast.

And then - they decided to add a new logo into that mix. Firstly, they got a junior designer to do it. And you can tell. A few problems with it that a number of design experts pointed out.

Collingwood-Logo.png

1. It looks AWFUL small. There's too much going on. Logos look best when they are clear and simple even as an app logo, let alone big. Look at it on a small screen and it looks bad.
2. The Magpie's feet are CUT OFF! Shame. The feet are also stuck behind the date, yet it's tail is in front of the gold? Is it facing away from us? That cannot be unseen.
3. Where is "COLLINGWOOD" in the logo?
4. The weird crest behind the magpie disguises the bold black and white stripes. It's bad how those beautiful stripes have been hidden.
5. Why have a date randomly there? Are we "1892" or "Collingwood"?

SOLUTION:
I would love to have a simple: Magpie with "COLLINGWOOD" or maybe "COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB". I would love to use our stripes more in our general design. I would love something that looks simple and beautiful on a t-shirt, a flag or the side of a building. Currently, I look back at our 1980s logo or even the simple solo Magpie and it is far more beautiful and simple than what we have.

My two bobs anyway!

Hey Stronzatello,

I have a few thoughts on this. Firstly, I love the simplicity of a bold, strong magpie, standing proud. That for me is perfect.
View attachment 1554880

I worked with the Club years ago - my agency created the Collingwood Forever website, branding, etc. At that time, many in The Club realised the design language was a mess. Different logos for different teams, random views of black and white stripes, use of gold, silver, grey, etc. A real dog's breakfast.

And then - they decided to add a new logo into that mix. Firstly, they got a junior designer to do it. And you can tell. A few problems with it that a number of design experts pointed out.

View attachment 1554891

1. It looks AWFUL small. There's too much going on. Logos look best when they are clear and simple even as an app logo, let alone big. Look at it on a small screen and it looks bad.
2. The Magpie's feet are CUT OFF! Shame. The feet are also stuck behind the date, yet it's tail is in front of the gold? Is it facing away from us? That cannot be unseen.
3. Where is "COLLINGWOOD" in the logo?
4. The weird crest behind the magpie disguises the bold black and white stripes. It's bad how those beautiful stripes have been hidden.
5. Why have a date randomly there? Are we "1892" or "Collingwood"?

SOLUTION:
I would love to have a simple: Magpie with "COLLINGWOOD" or maybe "COLLINGWOOD FOOTBALL CLUB". I would love to use our stripes more in our general design. I would love something that looks simple and beautiful on a t-shirt, a flag or the side of a building. Currently, I look back at our 1980s logo or even the simple solo Magpie and it is far more beautiful and simple than what we have.

My two bobs anyway!
I love that first one although without the word "Limited"

IMG_2214.jpg

WE ARE HERE TO WIN.
Flags are what it's about - the other stuff - well ... stuff it

WE ARE HERE TO WIN.
Jeff campaigned on playing all Melbourne games at the MCG. Lo and behold that claim has dried up as soon as he took the reins - it's not going to happen.

Your proposed solution to the living room experience flies in the face of the broadcast deal. It's not going to happen.

And then with caps lock you have essentially demonstrated you would be willing to fly in the face (no pun intended) of Fly's preferred communication method. Fly no doubt was striving to win a flag this year as every coach does, but how he chooses to publicly communicate so as to get the most out of the players should be up to him. The fact you, as a board member, wants to override what a senior coach does in the pursuit of that aim is my biggest red flag as a Collingwood supporter. The Board should not be involved in the day to day operations of the football department, particularly in how they choose to coach and focus the team!!

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jeff campaigned on playing all Melbourne games at the MCG. Lo and behold that claim has dried up as soon as he took the reins - it's not going to happen.

Your proposed solution to the living room experience flies in the face of the broadcast deal. It's not going to happen.

And then with caps lock you have essentially demonstrated you would be willing to fly in the face (no pun intended) of Fly's preferred communication method. Fly no doubt was striving to win a flag this year as every coach does, but how he chooses to publicly communicate so as to get the most out of the players should be up to him. The fact you, as a board member, wants to override what a senior coach does in the pursuit of that aim is my biggest red flag as a Collingwood supporter. The Board should not be involved in the day to day operations of the football department, particularly in how they choose to coach and focus the team!!

Agreed, Fly has made no secret about that he wants the team to act like winners in every action they take at the club. Then he takes the Leigh Matthews approach of not talking about results but focusing on the actions. Talking about flags is against that approach and mindset.

Yeah, you're right, Shill!

We should just lay down and blindly accept the status quo...

that is drawing an extremely long bow. How on earth you get from Conno's motherhood statement of a board member pushing for FLAGS some insidious interfering undermining of Fly's preferred communication method is bewildering. Talk about looking for ghosts in cupboards...

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back