Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

I just want the right person for the roll, whether that be a man or a woman and not just someone hired for their gender, political leanings should be irrelevant as long as they serve the club well and is a decent person and hopefully no woke rubbish.

I just want the right person for the roll, whether that be a man or a woman and not just someone hired for their gender, political leanings should be irrelevant as long as they serve the club well and is a decent person and hopefully no woke rubbish.
Can you give some examples of the “woke rubbish” you don’t want the new board member to support?

Hi everyone

My name is Matthew Ganley and I am requesting your vote for the vacant position on the Collingwood board.

As a lawyer with extensive legal experience, I will bring strong governance skills to the board which are required to be a board member of a football club.

What I offer to the members of the Collingwood Football Club:

Kudos for throwing your hat into the ring 👍

1. Increased governance focus on list management, drafting and trading to ensure Collingwood is an innovator in this space and has a competitive advantage over other teams. I will look to expand the list management team so that our strike rate in the early rounds of the draft improves and that we get better returns for our trades.

What do you see as the level of governance over list management now?

Obviously our list management has been grist for the mill in the media over recent seasons, but do you see that there have been any issues around its governance, and if so what specifically?

Are you able to provide more details about how a board with you on it would drive innovation in list management?

Given the contraints of the football spending cap, if you’re proposing to expand the list management team (presumably spending more money in that area), what other areas would you reduce spending in to compensate?

2. Ensure the side by side value is always upheld even in the face of extreme media scrutiny like we saw this year with one of our players being subject to unfair media criticism and scrutiny post Bali. I believe we can do more to support our own in the face of a media pile on. I will push back on any pressure to bow to what the media demand we do and instead do what is right for the Collingwood Football Club and the person involved.

How would you see that your proposed approach would have brought about a better outcome?

3. Lobbying the AFL so that Collingwood play no home games at Marvel Stadium and instead all our home games are at the MCG.

Given the way the AFL organises equalisation and the fixture, this would effectively mean Collingwood would travel more to play interstate games away. Would you do that deal?

Cheers Figgy.

Indeed I have nominated.

Here's my outline:

Dear Collingwood Fans,

As you know, I am a lifelong Collingwood fan, and I love the Club.

Kudos for putting your hand up 👍

But there’s still work to be done.
The Club needs to learn from the other sports giants around the planet to give a world-class fan experience, whether on the couch or in the stands.

In my own experience, Collingwood supporters have generally been very reticent to embrace change to the game day experience, especially ones that that are seen as gimmicky or are borrowed from other sports.

How would you walk the tightrope of improving the fan experience whilst doing it in a way that doesn’t risk alienating fans?

We still don’t have the best fan communications, our social media can be much better, and we are not using technology enough to WIN more games.

How do you propose to use technology to win more games?

I work with some of the biggest companies in Australia, Asia and the Middle East to delight their customers with famous advertising and innovative digital strategy. I can’t wait to share this expertise with the Collingwood Football Club and WIN FLAGS.

Last year the club studiously avoided setting any win/loss expectations and made no mention of winning flags until prelim final week. (Noted that it was quite a different approach to some other clubs who went into the season more highly fancied but didn’t perform as well as we did).

Would you change Collingwood’s approach, and if so, how?

Last edited:
I'm going to put my hand up again. Very pleased the conversation around voting rights was heard last year so more members can vote.

Good to see you putting your hand up again!

What issues are important to you that you'd like raised with the board?

For me, some include:
  • term limits for the board
  • expand voting rights further to ensure interstate members have a say
  • increased staff for member servicing - with a jump in membership of 20% (thanks to on-field performance), we need more membership staff. Too many stories saying it is hard to reach the club.
  • improved member service at MCG - poor staffing and terrible experience just trying to get a beer as a Legends member
  • access to AIA facilities if VFL/AFLW games are played at AIA. Making fans sit outside when we have a function room is a poor experience.
  • more transparency around board elections - releasing the vote results would be a good start.
  • Collingwood media to run a Town Hall to allow and encourage discussion with candidates during the election process.

If you did get in and serve two terms (6 years), what off-field changes would you expect to see at the club over that period?

How has your perspective changed since you first decided to run last year?

Don't mind '76 prospective board members, pretty sure he is a Melbourne supporter lost on their way to the snow. There are only 3 relevant questions:
1. do you have teeth?
2. will you be posting all the latest goss on the pies on this forum weekly?
3. will you base your stance re key issues on a vote taken on this forum?

I'm going to put my hand up again. Very pleased the conversation around voting rights was heard last year so more members can vote.

What issues are important to you that you'd like raised with the board?

For me, some include:
  • improved member service at MCG - poor staffing and terrible experience just trying to get a beer as a Legends member
You have my vote Sean 🍺

Good to see you putting your hand up again!

If you did get in and serve two terms (6 years), what off-field changes would you expect to see at the club over that period?

How has your perspective changed since you first decided to run last year?
Thanks for the questions 76woodenspooners

First of all 6 years is a long time as the past 3 years have shown a lot can happen.

I would work with the board to solidify and strengthen our ties with all members. Growing overall membership numbers is excellent, but I would prefer to deepen our relationship with members. Unfortunately, too many emails and phone calls go unanswered. That is not the fault of the overworked membership department they need more resources (human and technology). I aim for Collingwood to be the best membership-based organisation in the world.

A large, engaged Collingwood membership base unlocks what most fans want
  • better on-field product as more resources can be given to our coaches (yes there is soft cap but we have multiple teams for a reason)
  • bigger attendance which is great for fans and players alike
  • true leverage for key stadium, TV & league deals

My perspective hasn't changed too much, it has been nice for the board to be in the news less, as a good board should be.
I still think there is a disconnect between the board and the larger membership base, I love the MCG, but the experience for members is poor. Collingwood can now (due to successful on-field) push for better service and experience at MCG games. It could be as simple as improving customer flow and requiring appropriate staffing levels for Collingwood games. As much as I love going to the MCG, it is far behind in fan experience once you get up from your seat and stop looking at the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First of all 6 years is a long time as the past 3 years have shown a lot can happen.

I would work with the board to solidify and strengthen our ties with all members. Growing overall membership numbers is excellent, but I would prefer to deepen our relationship with members. Unfortunately, too many emails and phone calls go unanswered. That is not the fault of the overworked membership department they need more resources (human and technology). I aim for Collingwood to be the best membership-based organisation in the world.

A large, engaged Collingwood membership base unlocks what most fans want
  • better on-field product as more resources can be given to our coaches (yes there is soft cap but we have multiple teams for a reason)
  • bigger attendance which is great for fans and players alike
  • true leverage for key stadium, TV & league deals

My perspective hasn't changed too much, it has been nice for the board to be in the news less, as a good board should be.
I still think there is a disconnect between the board and the larger membership base, I love the MCG, but the experience for members is poor. Collingwood can now (due to successful on-field) push for better service and experience at MCG games. It could be as simple as improving customer flow and requiring appropriate staffing levels for Collingwood games. As much as I love going to the MCG, it is far behind in fan experience once you get up from your seat and stop looking at the field.
IPA should be on tap in The Legends Bar.

IPA should be on tap in The Legends Bar.

Gee you’re lowering your standards …

… once upon a time your vote couldn’t be bought for anything less than IPA on tap in the Legends bar AND reintroduction of cocktail night :)

Gee you’re lowering your standards …

… once upon a time your vote couldn’t be bought for anything less than IPA on tap in the Legends bar AND reintroduction of cocktail night :)
I’ve moved past the cocktail night. Couldn’t be bothered getting into a suit these days.
Just give me IPA, or at least some semi decent beer on game day and I’ll be happy.

Sean, I have a question as a non-voting casual interstate member.....so allocate resources to answering as appropriate...

There was talk that the board was reluctant to contract de goey again because of his "image" issues. Should the board impact on football decisions like this?

I still think there is a disconnect between the board and the larger membership base, I love the MCG, but the experience for members is poor.

Out of interest …

… last election Jeff Browne did say that he would reach out to unsuccessful candidates to see how they could contribute.

Did that happen?

There's a big contradiction in the bolded comments there.

OK, I’ll go there …

… consider what a board does and what its purpose is. It’s about Governance.

People on the board don’t do work for the club (it’s an unpaid gig), They typically meet once a month for three or four hours for board meetings (plus potentially other committee meetings). They’ll receive a pack of info ahead of each meeting and they’ll use the meeting to receive a presentation from the CEO (and potentially other executives) and ask questions and make decisions.

It’s generally strategy and risk management stuff. To pick a point by one of the candidates, they might for example review whether to increase budget to the membership department. They might look at a CEO’s preso on that which would have info about membership department KPI’s: How many contacts are being made to the membership dept? What channels are people using? How long are people being kept waiting? If budget was increased where would the money be spent? And when they look back in future how would they know if the extra budget made a difference?

A lot of the stuff would probably be finance related. Where’s the money coming from? You can be assured that every board meeting in 2021 would have had on the agenda “progress with replacing Holden as naming rights sponsor?”

As for footy dept stuff, they might touch on anything that involved risk - asking questions about player well-being stuff, CTE, psychologically safe workplace. As for stuff that affects winning and losing games of footy, you might have a director who has an interest in strategic things like professional development, or innovation programs, and they work to put money in the budget for that and get reporting how those programs are progressing. If any of the teams is performing poorly with respect to wins and losses, you’d hope that they’d ask the Footy Boss why, and what is being done about it? And is there anything the board can do to support them (with regards to provision of resources)?

So given all that, what are the qualities you’d want in a board member?

In my opinion …

(1) Self awareness. Having good sense to realise that they don’t know footy better than the worst of the league’s senior coach. Or footy boss. Or the list manager. Asking footy questions is OK, it‘s a good thing - they need to be asked to hold the people to account. Making footy decisions beyond hiring and firing the footy boss is not OK.

(2) Having the skills to hold people to account who know more than you do.

(3) Forward thinking. Much of what boards deal with is strategy and risk - both things that typically happen in the future.

(4) The ability to see problems from many angles. The suggestion that we should play all our home games at MCG - it seems like a great idea and would be popular with the fans? In 2022 we home games against WCE and WB at Etihad. We also played the ANZAC Day game (Ginni‘s breakout game) at the MCG against an Etihad tenant that was their home game. Ditto the thrilling R23 game against Carlton. Something similar happened in the Qualifying final against Geelong. Would we really want to play WB and WCE home games at MCG if it means playing ANZAC Day at Etihad every second year, playing Carlton home games at Etihad, and Geelong home games at Kardina? The suggestion that we use our large number of different teams for competitive advantage might seem like a good one, but we’d want to do a fine combing of the rules first to see what we could do without potentially falling foul of cheating.

(5) Representation. It’s hard to see something from another persons point of view unless you’ve walked in their shoes and seen it from their perspective. We take it for granted today that women have the right to vote, but it wasn’t so long ago that society was OK with men making decisions that affected women. “Suffrage“ back then had similar connotation to “woke” today. The board of a footy club represents the members. We the members are a diverse bunch, so IMO the board should represent that diversity.

(6) Diversity in skill sets. A board full of accountants, or full of lawyers, or full of ex-footy players isn’t going to get it done. I’m guessing Mark Korda would have spent the year handing over oversight of the accounts to Renee Roberts, so there’s probably no need to replace the accountant with another accountant.

Last edited:
OK, I’ll go there …

… consider what a board does and what it’s purpose is. It’s about Governance.

People on the board don’t do work for the club (it’s an unpaid gig), They typically meet once a month for three or four hours for board meetings (plus potentially other committee meetings). They’ll receive a pack of info ahead of each meeting and they’ll use the meeting to receive a presentation from the CEO (and potentially other executives) and ask questions and make decisions.

It’s generally strategy and risk management stuff. To pick one a point by one of the candidates, they might for example review whether to increase budget to the membership department. They might look at a CEO’s preso on that which would have info about membership department KPI’s: How many contacts are being made to the membership dept? What channels are people using? How long are people being kept waiting? If budget was increased where would the money be spent? And when they look back in future how would they know if the extra budget made a difference?

A lot of the stuff would probably be finance related. Where’s the money coming from? You can be assured that every board meeting in 2021 would have had on the agenda “progress with replacing Holden as naming rights sponsor?”

As for footy dept stuff, they might touch on anything that involved risk - asking questions about player well-being stuff, CTE, psychologically safe workplace. As for stuff that affects winning and losing games of footy, you might have a director who has an interest in strategic things like professional development, or innovation programs, and they work to put money in the budget for that and get reporting how those programs are progressing. If any of the teams is performing poorly with respect to wins and losses, you’d hope that they’d ask the Footy Boss why, and what is being done about it? And is there anything the board can do to support them (with regards to provision of resources)?

So given all that, what are the qualities you’d want in a board member?

In my opinion …

(1) Self awareness. Having good sense to realise that they don’t know footy better than the worst of the league’s senior coach. Or footy boss. Or the list manager. Asking footy questions is OK, it‘s a good thing - they need to be asked to hold the people to account. Making footy decisions beyond hiring And firing the footy boss is not OK.

(2) Having the skills to hold people to account who know more than you do.

(3) Forward thinking. Much of what boards deal with is strategy and risk - both things that typically happen in the future.

(4) The ability to see problems from many angles. The suggestion that we should play all our home games at MCG - it seems like a great idea and would be popular with the fans? In 2022 we home games against WCE and WB at Etihad. We also played the ANZAC Day game (Ginni‘s breakout game) at the MCG against an Etihad tenant that was their home game. Ditto the thrilling R23 game against Carlton. Something similar happened in the Qualifying final against Geelong. Would we really want to play WB and WCE home games at MCG if it means playing ANZAC Day at Etihad every second year, playing Carlton home games at Etihad, and Geelong home games at Kardina? The suggestion that we use our large number of different teams for competitive advantage might seem like a good one, but we’d want to do a fine combing of the rules first to see what we could do without potentially falling foul of cheating.

(5) Representation. It’s hard to see something from another persons point of view unless you’ve walked in their shoes and seen it from their perspective. We take it for granted today that women have the right to vote, but it wasn’t so long ago that society was OK with men making decisions that affected women. “Suffrage“ back then had similar connotation to “woke” today. The board of a footy club represents the members. We the members are a diverse bunch, so IMO the board should represent that diversity.

(6) Diversity in skill sets. A board full of accountants, or full of lawyers, or full of ex-footy players isn’t going to get it done. I’m guessing Mark Korda would have spent the year handing over oversight of the accounts to Renee Roberts, so there’s probably no need to replace the accountant with another accountant.
(7) Knowing what ‘woke’ means.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back