Preview Preview/Changes - Round 4 v West Coast at Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How often does a captain get dropped? I think Coniglio got dropped a few years ago but that's the only one I could remember.

Id like him to be dropped and He's been crappy but they're not doing it
I think Brad Green got the green jacket for a match or two in the Neeld era? I recall the journos making a massive fuss of it - camera was on him looking gloomy on the bench more than it was on the game. Though to be totally honest, a silent and depressed Green was probably better viewing then whatever show we put on that day.

Did the dogs stretch us. We had Lever Tommo and Petty and Petty was terrible. The logic doesn't make sense cause why would their best intercepter change his role if Brown plays? He's not playing on brown anyway he's the best interceptor.

The logic is pretty obvious, if you have three talls plus Fritsch who is a marking target then it's harder for a Tom Stewart or Mitch McGovern type to line up on a flanker like ANB who pushes up the ground while they stay back and focus on intercept marking.

Obviously it doesn't mean it works out if your talls play shit or you don't use the ball properly. But we have a bad track record of getting beaten badly by teams who drop off and intercept mark so I don't think the logic of wanting to occupy all of their tall defenders with marking opponents is that hard to ascertain.

The logic is pretty obvious, if you have three talls plus Fritsch who is a marking target then it's harder for a Tom Stewart or Mitch McGovern type to line up on a flanker like ANB who pushes up the ground while they stay back and focus on intercept marking.

Obviously it doesn't mean it works out if your talls play s**t or you don't use the ball properly. But we have a bad track record of getting beaten badly by teams who drop off and intercept mark so I don't think the logic of wanting to occupy all of their tall defenders with marking opponents is that hard to ascertain.
I don't think it's worth risking a sore Brown on this weekend though. WC are cooked anyway, no need to injure him against them. Pickett coming back is an obvious switch.
It could be an option against some sides though, especially with a couple of more agile talls like JVR and Petty who can still put on pressure on the deck

I was happy with the defensive setup with Petty forward and Hibbo playing taller. For games when we need another tall back, I reckon the solution is staring us in the face. Flick McDonald back. Played well there last year when needed, and I don’t think he’s needed forward anymore. Despite his foot injury, he still moves better than Tommo IMO.

Rather Tomlinson than TMac. TMac has never been great on the really big forwards whereas Tomlinson is fine on them. May can play on literally anyone and it frees up Lever more.

Viney is also our 3rd highest clearance player - nearly twice as many ahead as the 4th average rated. In a team trying to get back on top in that area, he ain't coming out, even though he can butcher it sometimes.

I don't love DE as a stat, but for the record Trac's % is lower than Viney.
Yeah but Vineys has had less disposal (less than 20 times 2 weeks in a row) and has still butchered it a lot

But Nah fair call, I can't fault his effort at how hard he goes at the ball, and he still pops up with a great game every now and then he's just not that consistent though.

Obviously it doesn't mean it works out if your talls play s**t or you don't use the ball properly. But we have a bad track record of getting beaten badly by teams who drop off and intercept mark so I don't think the logic of wanting to occupy all of their tall defenders with marking opponents is that hard to ascertain.
Playing extra talls for the sake of stretching a defence literally never works. Especially when the blokes has no impact in the air. Just have Fritsch is a dangerous 3rd that you can't play a small on. With Brown as well that's 4. There's no point at all and just a shit use of an option forward.

Logic might be obvious, the idea and execution is pointless

I don't think it's worth risking a sore Brown on this weekend though. WC are cooked anyway, no need to injure him against them. Pickett coming back is an obvious switch.
It could be an option against some sides though, especially with a couple of more agile talls like JVR and Petty who can still put on pressure on the deck

Yeah if he's sore he obviously doesn't play, which means if we want another tall it has to be Tmac. Which doesn't excite anyone, but even so I'm sure our coaching staff will be very mindful of expecting too much from JVR and Petty early in their forward careers.

Honestly think that if Viney plays (he probably shouldn't), it should be as a defensive forward who tags the opposition's best rebounder. He's got just enough pace to run with those kind of guys, and has been alright in tagging roles previously. Putting a physical player on some of the softer outside seagulls could shake them up a bit, and honestly, the less of the ball he gets, the better.

I'm down for whatever gets him out of Oliver's way though.

Playing extra talls for the sake of stretching a defence literally never works. Especially when the blokes has no impact in the air. Just have Fritsch is a dangerous 3rd that you can't play a small on. With Brown as well that's 4. There's no point at all and just a s**t use of an option forward.

Logic might be obvious, the idea and execution is pointless

Worked pretty well when we threw a tall defender forward and kicked 6 in the first quarter 2 days ago.
Has worked against us before when Lever has to play on a dangerous tall forward when we haven't had other match ups.

Dunno why you have to always go to the extreme of an argument like saying something a lot of clubs roll out every week "literally never works".

I would say it's a near certainty that the decision of whether to play Brown/Tmac or just go in with a smaller forward line is a subject of discussion in match committee this week.

Worked pretty well when we threw a tall defender forward and kicked 6 in the first quarter 2 days ago.
Has worked against us before when Lever has to play on a dangerous tall forward when we haven't had other match ups.

Dunno why you have to always go to the extreme of an argument like saying something a lot of clubs roll out every week "literally never works".

I would say it's a near certainty that the decision of whether to play Brown/Tmac or just go in with a smaller forward line is a subject of discussion in match committee this week.
We also dominated them in the last without Brown and with Melk so going by your logic playing Melk is the solution

Tell me an example of when playing extra talls to stretch someone has worked. Richmond tried with Vickery for years and got better without him immediately. Dogs gave up on it straight away.

Playing talls for the sake of stretching someone is hilarious because it does not work. You just end up with a 3rd tall who doesn't get used and doesn't impact the game on the ground so it's just a waste. He can't ruck either so his job is to play as a training cone for someone to stand near

We also dominated them in the last without Brown and with Melk so going by your logic playing Melk is the solution

Tell me an example of when playing extra talls to stretch someone has worked. Richmond tried with Vickery for years and got better without him immediately. Dogs gave up on it straight away.

Playing talls for the sake of stretching someone is hilarious because it does not work. You just end up with a 3rd tall who doesn't get used and doesn't impact the game on the ground so it's just a waste. He can't ruck either so his job is to play as a training cone for someone to stand near

Kent, you're talking to me like I'm an insane person for suggesting we'll consider going with the same mix we just beat Sydney by 50 points with.

As I said 10 minutes ago, you can always sub a tall off if you need to later in the game, but you're never going to play a tall forward as sub in case your forwards are getting outmarked. Once you go in shorter you're stuck with that mix.

If Gawn was fit this week he'd come in for Brown and JVR and Petty would stay forward. We're only even having the conversation about going shorter because Pickett is coming back in and Gawn isn't.

Kent, you're talking to me like I'm an insane person for suggesting we'll consider going with the same mix we just beat Sydney by 50 points with.

As I said 10 minutes ago, you can always sub a tall off if you need to later in the game, but you're never going to play a tall forward as sub in case your forwards are getting outmarked. Once you go in shorter you're stuck with that mix.

If Gawn was fit this week he'd come in for Brown and JVR and Petty would stay forward. We're only even having the conversation about going shorter because Pickett is coming back in and Gawn isn't.

Because that team excited me for the first time in a long time and thinking about them going back to Brown and Tmac spudding it up with uncompetitive efforts gives me nightmares. 2 guys who have almost no AFL experience forward transformed our team. All our smalls looked dangerous as **** again and it's because they 2 guys they could trust.

Because that team excited me for the first time in a long time and thinking about them going back to Brown and Tmac spudding it up with uncompetitive efforts gives me nightmares. 2 guys who have almost no AFL experience forward transformed our team. All our smalls looked dangerous as * again and it's because they 2 guys they could trust.

Yeah but it was exciting in the first quarter as well when Brown, Petty and JVR. It's not like I'm suggesting we drop JVR for Tmac.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah but it was exciting in the first quarter as well when Brown, Petty and JVR. It's not like I'm suggesting we drop JVR for Tmac.
Yes but Brown didn't do anything in that first quarter except exist. Melksham was on in the last when we put on a heap of score but thats not reason to keep him

Make It Stop The Office GIF

I was happy with the defensive setup with Petty forward and Hibbo playing taller. For games when we need another tall back, I reckon the solution is staring us in the face. Flick McDonald back. Played well there last year when needed, and I don’t think he’s needed forward anymore. Despite his foot injury, he still moves better than Tommo IMO.

lol. You really hate Tomo dont you.

I'd swap Pickett in, for Bowey. We need Spargo for our F50 functioning.

Bowey needs to build up some more mass.

Melk is on 97 games, so I'd take him to Perth. He hasn't been our worst in the games he has subbed in.

lol. You really hate Tomo dont you.
I just don't think he's very good anymore. He had a decent game in rd 1 which put him back in vogue, but he was poor again last week. Don't get me wrong, happy to have him if we have nobody else, but TMac was a very good defender and could be a half decent option again.

I just don't think he's very good anymore. He had a decent game in rd 1 which put him back in vogue, but he was poor again last week. Don't get me wrong, happy to have him if we have nobody else, but TMac was a very good defender and could be a half decent option again.

TMac has been poor in the contest for a bit over a year now, ive no longer go any faith in him at all. Give me Tomo all day.

TMac has been poor in the contest for a bit over a year now, ive no longer go any faith in him at all. Give me Tomo all day.
Wouldn't have either of them in the best 22. You could be right about TMac but he still has a step and can go with mobile KPFs, whereas anyone mobile is 10 yards away from Tommo before he gets a head of steam going. I guess he's still good against gorilla KPFs without big tanks, but there's not too many of those that come to mind. Walker, Wright, Larkey are a few that might fit that bill. I'd like to see them both training as defenders to be used as needed.

Screenshot_20230404_173915_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back