Toast Pubs & Bars near Adelaide Oval for pre and post game drinks

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought I'd get this started to compile a list of good spots to meet, eat, drink, and generally be a nusiance at, before and after games at Adelaide Oval.

First one that comes to mind for me is The Ed Castle.

The Ed Castle on Currie St has a great beer garden and is within walking distance to the ground. Not too close that it gets packed out but close enough to find a park and make your way their in time for the game. Added benefit is you're coming from the west so crossing Morphett St bridge and down Memorial Drive means you miss the crush on the bridge.

Ed Castle is also owned by a big Port man, Tony Bond in partnership with Swans tragic Simon Modra.

Mods: any chance we could get this stickied for a few rounds to get the ball rolling?

Backyard Bar at the Cas was good, used to have cheap drinks there too, and they're a club sponsor, but I went there before the Fremantle game and they'd jacked up the prices to $10

Not near the ground but the Gilbert Street Hotel is another managed by a Port supporter, I think his name is Luke? Short walk to a tram stop to get to the ground. Good rotating craft beers and excellent food.

The London Tavern in the Myer Centre... for really no reason other than location.

Dropped in pre-game a few times last year and it's full (not too full) of Port supporters pre-drinking and watching earlier games if applicable. Of course, it's a dank, unattractive place with the world's stickiest floor and the service is often glacial.

Opens onto the Myer food court too which is a plus if you have kids to feed.

Queens Head was owned by a Port supporter back in 2011-2012. He sponsored Hamish Hartlett one year as his player sponsorship photo was up over the bar. Don't know if he still owns it.

The price in most of the pubs around the Oval is similar to inside, and they wonder why people don't go to the pub anymore.

Queens Head for me though.

I remember many moons ago Lockhart Road mentioning that one of the co-owners of Harry's on Grenfell was a Port man. I am not sure if that's still current but it's also a well-located place on Grenfell just a stone's throw from King William. Balcony upstairs.

Wurst & Stein on Grenfell Street is great if you love Steins of piss.

Kaffana Bar on Gilbert Place is amazing food.

Wonder if we could get some collective Bigfooty deals at these places.

Wurst & Stein on Grenfell Street is great if you love Steins of piss.

Wonder if we could get some collective Bigfooty deals at these places.

Downstairs from Harry's and run by the same people I believe. :)

Not near the ground but the Gilbert Street Hotel is another managed by a Port supporter, I think his name is Luke? Short walk to a tram stop to get to the ground. Good rotating craft beers and excellent food.

The Gilbert is my local. Bloody brilliant pub and Luke is definitely a Port man and not afraid to voice his opinions either.

Kaffana Bar on Gilbert Place is amazing food.

Peel St, not Gilbert Place. My favourite "meat-coma" establishment. Their range of slivovitz is very dangerous too.

Convention center and their new bars are the way to go. $6 pale and session pints.

For those who don’t like walking up and down hills the Wellington has a bus that will drop you off at the oval and pick you back up after the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about Gilbert Street Hotel’s convenience as it’s on the other side of the city, but it’s a bloody great pub. Good to hear it’s owned by a Port man.

2 minute walk to a free tram that goes straight to the train station... and will eventually go straight to AO unless the Liberals decide to kibosh that.

2 minute walk to a free tram that goes straight to the train station... and will eventually go straight to AO unless the Liberals decide to kibosh that.

So what you’re saying is it will never go straight to AO.

Convention center and their new bars are the way to go. $6 pale and session pints.

For those who don’t like walking up and down hills the Wellington has a bus that will drop you off at the oval and pick you back up after the game.

This. $6 pints and you are basically at the start of the foot bridge.

Peel St, not Gilbert Place. My favourite "meat-coma" establishment. Their range of slivovitz is very dangerous too.

There is Kaffana Burger on Peel Street, and Kaffana on Gilbert place. :p

This. $6 pints and you are basically at the start of the foot bridge.
Went there last week and people were still all crammed in the R bar. Once they realise the bar at the end and the caravan all have cheap beer the crowd will spread out and it will be much better.

There is Kaffana Burger on Peel Street, and Kaffana on Gilbert place. :p

Ahhh, is that the new one next to Hains & Co? I think it's got a rooftop bar.

Anyone know what happened with The Curious Squire... closed for the fringe but no sign of them since.

That venue seems to be cursed. No one since the original Cibo guys seem to be able to make it work in the long term.

That venue seems to be cursed. No one since the original Cibo guys seem to be able to make it work in the long term.

It was always relatively full on game days, I guess off-season kills them.

I mean, that hotel right at the end of O'Connell has been shut for years. I wish Port would get into it. Perfect spot close to AO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Pubs & Bars near Adelaide Oval for pre and post game drinks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back