Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

Flopper_Selwood.jpg

Draw your own conclusion...

giphy.gif
Look at how low Burton gets as well when making the initial contact, he made every reasonable effort to keep the tackle low and to keep his own centre of gravity low.

I love when Hawks fans get upset over Selwood. Luke Hodge reckons he's the bravest bloke he's ever played against but what would Luke Hodge know? Clearly Hawks fans think Hodgey is an idiot - who am I to argue? ;)

Puopolo doesn't do the arm-shrug Selwood does, which is a point of difference. He collapses and tilts sideways which Joel sometimes does but generally Selwood does the "shrug arm over head" movement which either results in a broken tackle or a free.
You can be brave, a ducker, and a moaning sook all at once you know!!

Oh, airtime is somehow a consideration now? Hilarious.

You really have an inflated sense of your own importance, huh?

Love long stretches of deluded arguments coming from a Geelong fan on this topic.... par for the course really, its great when said Geelong fan always has to get the last quote in... as I said be my guest, give this air time... further solidifies what i've already stated.

There’s something that really riles me about this whole discussion, more than the stupidity of opposition fans that seem to think that cats fans are going to turn on their captain based on the “strength” of Internet forum arguments.

The thing is this: it’s just a Geelong Hawthorn shitfight masquerading as something else. Moralising from Hawks supporters - and its clear that it’s mostly Hawks supporters - about respecting the intent of the rules and “cultural aspects” is so hypocritical as to be laughable.

Rushed behinds in 2008 were a systemic and cynical attempt to use the rules to create an advantage. If you have a problem with what Selwood does and don’t have a problem with that conduct, then there’s no more to say.

The “cultural aspect” of a fanbase that creates hundreds of thousands of words complaining about umpiring in a home and away WIN may also bear consideration, I’d suggest.
This thread is actually about a Hawthorn player ........................

hmmm let the jealousy flow thru you all....

Sicily knees drops into Selwoods head but Selwood who get a free kick for a high tackle is a cheat..

No w***ers here at all.

GO Catters

Flopper_Selwood.jpg

Draw your own conclusion...

giphy.gif

Has not ducked or bent at the knees at all.
At the worst you can say he has leaned in one direction. Please directly quote the AFL rules where leaning in a direction constitutes a free kick.

The only thing you've done here is drop the mic on your foot and broken your toe.

GO Catters

The AFL have been trying to mininise contact to the head for years. Sookwood deliberately initiates high/head contact to draw the free. His action needs to be discouraged before too many others indulge in this practice. Why? Because as it becomes more utilised, kids will see it as a valid tactic and eventually someone will be seriously injured ducking into a tackle. That is why it is not an acceptable manipulation of the rule, make no mistake he admits he does it deliberately.

As for those calling Puopolo doing it; pretty similar and I don't like him doing it either.

Umpires need to assess if the initial contact was high or forceful. Players are regularly hit in the head/high in marking contest with more force and the umpires are able to decide which incidents demand a free. The incidental contact, as we witness between Selwood and Burton is not likely to injure anyone and should not result in a free kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has not ducked or bent at the knees at all.
At the worst you can say he has leaned in one direction. Please directly quote the AFL rules where leaning in a direction constitutes a free kick.

The only thing you've done here is drop the mic on your foot and broken your toe.

GO Catters
The laws of the game make no exception. A high tackle is a high tackle. However the laws are adjudicated so that there is no free kick paid where the player being tackled contributes to the high contact.

"What we're trying to do there is if the players' legitimate attempt to tackle appears to be correct and that the high contact is caused by the player ducking into the tackle, dropping his knees or trying to shrug it off, then it will be a play-on call," he said.
https://m.qt.com.au/news/afl-approves-rules-against-ducking/3136707/

Pretty sure Selwood does lower his shoulder and try to shrug off the tackle. It should be play on every day of the week.

hmmm let the jealousy flow thru you all....

Sicily knees drops into Selwoods head but Selwood who get a free kick for a high tackle is a cheat..

No w***ers here at all.

GO Catters

Haha yes poor Joel had no involvement at all in that entanglement. It wasn't as if Sicily was legged as he was leaving the contest.

#Joelisavictim :(

Go JOEL

The laws of the game make no exception. A high tackle is a high tackle. However the laws are adjudicated so that there is no free kick paid where the player being tackled contributes to the high contact.

https://m.qt.com.au/news/afl-approves-rules-against-ducking/3136707/

Pretty sure Selwood does lower his shoulder and try to shrug off the tackle. It should be play on every day of the week.

You post here shows the clear difference.

You call it shrugging off the tackler.
The AFL article calls it ducking.

Two different acts even by the facts you brought into the discussion to validate your point.

Now, if the AFL introduces a rule that says all players may not shrug a tackle then Id suggest a change would required. But then the fend off would have to be outlawed as well and that is in fact a shrug of the tackle. All those fend offs and shimmy's to evade the tackler must be removed from the game by your metric.

Sounds kind of boring and very touch football like. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Or of course, the tacklers could actually go for the hips and waste and actually make them stick.

But nah, it easier to complain about it right?

GO Catters

He's been tearing opposition teams to shreds for over a decade now. Fortunately none of them have learned how to tackle yet. :)
Yes, the same tackling technique that works for 95% of the AFL is somehow ineffective against a player who uses an arm lift to draw high contact, an action that the AFL has publicly stated should be called play on, or holding the ball if not disposed of, but it’s the rest of the league that needs to change...

Haha yes poor Joel had no involvement at all in that entanglement. It wasn't as if Sicily was legged as he was leaving the contest.

#Joelisavictim :(

Go JOEL
Well then if legged there must have been a tripping free paid for it.

Good football intent however. You allegedly tripped me so im gonna drop my need into your head while you are on the ground.

Dog act from a dog. Another graduate from the Hodge School of good guys. Woof woof.

Go Catters

You post here shows the clear difference.

You call it shrugging off the tackler.
The AFL article calls it ducking.

Two different acts even by the facts you brought into the discussion to validate your point.

Now, if the AFL introduces a rule that says all players may not shrug a tackle then Id suggest a change would required. But then the fend off would have to be outlawed as well and that is in fact a shrug of the tackle. All those fend offs and shimmy's to evade the tackler must be removed from the game by your metric.

Sounds kind of boring and very touch football like. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Or of course, the tacklers could actually go for the hips and waste and actually make them stick.

But nah, it easier to complain about it right?

GO Catters
You need to read the whole quote I posted. Literally used the wording ‘or trying to shrug it off’. Selwood is the one creating the high tackle. Contact is initiated and he does all of lower his body, raise his arm to push the tacklers arm higher, and shrug his shoulders. It’s not a free kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Puopolo and Selwood ducking into the tackle to draw the free - is this a fair rule application?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back