Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Once upon a time, we were so proud of our game. We prided ourselves that it was "uniquely Australian", that it differed from all other sports. All we have done in the past 20 or so years is beg, steal and borrow from other sports until the game is barely recognisable. I beg of the AFL, lust leave one thing alone, you don't HAVE to change everything.

Must have been a real chore watching Hawthorn the last few years.

Its called improving the game. We use to crap on about the 'one day in September' until it became the one day in October. No one cares.

Whilst I am pro H and A draw, and pro finals/GF result, extra time has produced some dud results as well:

North Melbourne 2.3 6.12 9.12 12.19 (15.24) 114 Sat 10-Sep-1994 2:30 PM Att:38,223 Venue: Waverley Park
Hawthorn 4.5 5.7 10.11 13.13 (13.13) 91 North Melbourne won by 23 pts [Match stats] (After extra time)

Collingwood 1.5 4.8 7.11 10.12 (13.15) 93 Fri 14-Sep-2007 6:45 PM (8:45 PM) Att:43,627 Venue: Subiaco
West Coast 0.4 5.5 8.9 10.12 (10.14) 74 Collingwood won by 19 pts [Match stats] (After extra time)

It was a statistical anomaly that we've had 3 grand finals in the last 68 years or 4.5% of grand finals.
Not really Grand Finals are meant to be the 2 best sides so are more likely to be a more even match up than you would see though the regular season so draws should be more likely.

The fairest way to decide the better team is to play a full length game a week later, rather than having exhausted (and injured) players struggle on another ten minutes.
Yeah much better to have a much weaker side the next week because the niggling injury sets in and the team isn't able to recover well and doesn't have the fresh players to bring in whilst the other side does and can also spend twice as much on recovery than have the 2 teams on the day finish it off.

Screw extra time, it should be decided by a shoot out from the 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for tradition, but yeah this needs to go. The idea of a WA side having to come back for a replay the next week against a Victorian side is just ridiculously unfair and out of touch. Get rid of it.

Was gonna type exactly this - not just WA sides either and also about travelling supporters. It's a hangover from a past era and is no longer sustainable.

Watch the AFL support "tradition" when dollars are at stake though and completely disregard it when they push for a night GF.

Is ours the only major sporting code in the world to have 3 seperate rules for a drawn game?

H&A - share the points
Finals - extra time
Grand Final - replay

It's pretty ludicrous when you think about it.

Soccer has

H&A split points
Knockout comps extra time
Knockout comps penalty shootout

Is ours the only major sporting code in the world to have 3 seperate rules for a drawn game?

H&A - share the points
Finals - extra time
Grand Final - replay

It's pretty ludicrous when you think about it.
4th rule Grand Final replay - extra time.

Try explaining that. See if its a draw we give both teams 2 points, unless its a final then we play extra time, unless that final is the Grand Final where we come back the next week and try again, but if that 2nd Grand Final is drawn we just have extra time. Simple.

4th rule Grand Final replay - extra time.

Try explaining that. See if its a draw we give both teams 2 points, unless its a final then we play extra time, unless that final is the Grand Final where we come back the next week and try again, but if that 2nd Grand Final is drawn we just have extra time. Simple.
Insanity.

In 1977, if the GF Replay ended in a draw, Collingwood and North would have been back at it again the following Saturday for the 2nd Grand Final Replay.

Would have loved that.
The very first game of football I ever remember watching was the 1977 Grand Final.
That was epic to see the drama of it all and knowing that had to play a whole grand final again to win the premiership.
I probably barracked for another draw again as a kid, just so the season could continue.
I love it when I get to see two grand finals in a year.
Love the drama of knowing another full game is possible to come if neither side can win.

One of my favourite things about the NBA is the fact that they have overtimes

One of my favourite things about Aussie Rules Football is that it is a game I actually like and watch.
Could not give a toss about what basketball game do. It is another sport and irrelevant to me as a football fan. They can suit themselves with their own game that interest them.

No, we paid to watch the ******* title deciding game.
What you do with your money is your own business.
No team won the game, therefore no title was decided. Get that!!! Really get it. A great game was played and ultimately neither side were good enough on the day to win it in a full length match. Tough. Lucky they still in it another week to have another chance.
Deal with your own silly deluded expectations and stop crying about your expectations that the world should revolve around your own wants made from your own misguided perceptions of the grand final being decided on your personal timeline. The premierships are decided by players winning a grand final, not being level at final siren. When a team wins a grand final, they win the premiership. If they fail to win it, they are runners up or on rare times are lucky enough to get another chance to win a grand final if they avoid a loss and end up drawn at the final siren.

Personally if it got changed to extra time I can deal with that but ultimately I see the sense of the sport itself decide the premiership by some team winning a full length game. If they cannot win the first time, well playing again with a second chance to win it is exactly that. A chance to still win the premiership. It is amusing how some people do not get that.

No team won the game, therefore no title was decided. Get that!!! Really get it. A great game was played and ultimately neither side were good enough on the day to win it in a full length match.

So what's your view on a team being able to win the replay during extra time?

No team won the game, therefore no title was decided. Get that!!! Really get it. A great game was played and ultimately neither side were good enough of the day to win it in a full length match.

So what's your view on a team being able to win the replay during extra time?
My view on that would be pragmatic. If they decided to do it, I can live with it but even happier for them to just play each other multiple times until one team actually wins a grand final like we've always done. The drama of two teams having two draws in a row would be epic to see the lengths they have to go for the holy grail of a premiership trophy. I find that more satisfying as a pure football fan to know they have to win a grand final rather than artificially manipulate it to get a result on one day which is all extra time is doing.
I love having more than one grand final and happy to see it remain forever and a day for the few times it will ever happen.
Happy to see the season extended which was my first joy of being introduced to football in 1977. I was hooked from that year onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back