Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What you do with your money is your own business.
No team won the game, therefore no title was decided. Get that!!! Really get it. A great game was played and ultimately neither side were good enough on the day to win it in a full length match. Tough. Lucky they still in it another week to have another chance.
Deal with your own silly deluded expectations and stop crying about your expectations that the world should revolve around your own wants made from your own misguided perceptions of the grand final being decided on your personal timeline. The premierships are decided by players winning a grand final, not being level at final siren. When a team wins a grand final, they win the premiership. If they fail to win it, they are runners up or on rare times are lucky enough to get another chance to win a grand final if they avoid a loss and end up drawn at the final siren.

Personally if it got changed to extra time I can deal with that but ultimately I see the sense of the sport itself decide the premiership by some team winning a full length game. If they cannot win the first time, well playing again with a second chance to win it is exactly that. A chance to still win the premiership. It is amusing how some people do not get that.

Oh so its ok to keep it how it is to suit you?

You're clearly an idiot.

So you never see your team play anyway.
On average I get to about four Collingwood games a year, the one in Perth and ten three in Victoria. I watch the remainder on TV - haven't missed one in about fifteen years. What does that have to do with anything, other than the fact that I am definitely well versed in the costs of flying across the country to see my team?

I like the idea of extra time but if scores are still level, then there is a replay the following week. No more than 10 mins of extra time because of the rotation cap though.

Don't like the golden goal idea as something as simple as a dubious 50m penalty could end the game.
Something as simple as a dubious 50 could end ANY game.

On average I get to about four Collingwood games a year, the one in Perth and ten three in Victoria. I watch the remainder on TV - haven't missed one in about fifteen years. What does that have to do with anything, other than the fact that I am definitely well versed in the costs of flying across the country to see my team?

It means you probably don't care too much if Collingwood play another game you don't get to attend.

I'm from Perth as I've already stated you ****. So I think I have an idea, thanks.

A second Grand Final is usually cheaper and more access able to the public than the first. As I've already stated, the only thing you are owed by the AFL the week of a Grand Final is a game of footy. There's a risk that if its drawn it means you won't be seeing the decider. If you don't like that risk, don't go to the bloody game.
Calling people 'mongs', hopefully you are just a silly kid or something.

I have insured against a drawn grand final the last four years by backing the draw at $41 for the dollar.

Even with $2000 costs that's maximum $50

Footy does lend better to extra replay than possession games like NRL and NFL, some of those results have been an absolute farce.
Soccer, in the pre penalty shoot out era only used to go to replay after extra time anyway

Ditch it, and ditch all draws.

It needs to be ditched in finals for scheduling and travel reasons.

No reason to ditch it in the regular season. If you arent good enough to win n regular time you shouldnt get the benefit of extra time. Just split the points.

What you do with your money is your own business.
No team won the game, therefore no title was decided. Get that!!! Really get it. A great game was played and ultimately neither side were good enough on the day to win it in a full length match. Tough. Lucky they still in it another week to have another chance.
Deal with your own silly deluded expectations and stop crying about your expectations that the world should revolve around your own wants made from your own misguided perceptions of the grand final being decided on your personal timeline. The premierships are decided by players winning a grand final, not being level at final siren. When a team wins a grand final, they win the premiership. If they fail to win it, they are runners up or on rare times are lucky enough to get another chance to win a grand final if they avoid a loss and end up drawn at the final siren.

Personally if it got changed to extra time I can deal with that but ultimately I see the sense of the sport itself decide the premiership by some team winning a full length game. If they cannot win the first time, well playing again with a second chance to win it is exactly that. A chance to still win the premiership. It is amusing how some people do not get that.

RUOK M8?

4th rule Grand Final replay - extra time.

Try explaining that. See if its a draw we give both teams 2 points, unless its a final then we play extra time, unless that final is the Grand Final where we come back the next week and try again, but if that 2nd Grand Final is drawn we just have extra time. Simple.
It's not that difficult, I'm certainly not struggling to get my head around it.

No reason to ditch it in the regular season. If you arent good enough to win n regular time you shouldnt get the benefit of extra time. Just split the points.

I think extra time and getting a winning result adds more to the game.

Find it a bit strange this is being brought up now when the last draw was 5 years ago.

Anyway I think they should keep it and use the replay to experiment with a night GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I genuinely love the tradition/concept of a replay and would be sad to see it go, but for obvious logistical reasons with a national comp and all, it seems a bit nonsensical to keep it.

In my own little perfect world the AFL would keep replays for all Victorian GF's and extra time for any GF involving an interstate club, but it'd be silly/unrealistic to have different rules for different circumstances and clubs.

Not that this will ever happen...

Just a random thought with no real brain power put into it.

But what about if the scores are tied at the end, the team who has kicked the most goals wins.

I.E. 11.6.72 > 10.12.72

If they have the same amount of goals then go extra time. Rewards accuracy at goals which is a skill that seems to be disappearing more and more in this game.

In my own little perfect world the AFL would keep replays for all Victorian GF's and extra time for any GF involving an interstate club, but it'd be silly/unrealistic to have different rules for different circumstances and clubs.

Though the AFL has no qualms about doing that for everything else.

But what about if the scores are tied at the end, the team who has kicked the most goals wins.

I.E. 11.6.72 > 10.12.72

If they have the same amount of goals then go extra time. Rewards accuracy at goals which is a skill that seems to be disappearing more and more in this game.
I'm not rubbishing the idea, but the additional scoring opportunities could be a sign of one team's dominance. Yes, they were inaccurate, but I would hate to see the better side lose on an arbitrary ruling.

I'm not rubbishing the idea, but the additional scoring opportunities could be a sign of one team's dominance. Yes, they were inaccurate, but I would hate to see the better side lose on an arbitrary ruling.
Yeah that's the big problem with it I saw, just an alternative I was thinking of.

The fairest way to decide the better team is to play a full length game a week later, rather than having exhausted (and injured) players struggle on another ten minutes.

Fairest would be if the game involved a Victorian side and an interstate side, the interstate side hosts the replay.

What are people's thoughts on this scenario.. too convoluted perhaps?

1. Vic v Vic - replay at MCG
2. Vic v non-Vic - replay at non-Vic's home ground.
3. non-Vic v non-Vic (different states) - replay at MCG (both teams equally disadvantaged by travel)
4. non-Vic v non-Vic (same states) - replay played in that state.

Might be difficult having so many different possibilities, particularly re: ground bookings, but seems fair to me?

I genuinely enjoy the replay concept and have a feeling that if the 2010 replay was a close game like the first one, people's opinion of the concept would be vastly different.

I.E. 11.6.72 > 10.12.72

I like this.

To be applied retroactively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back