Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only if the grand final is Home and Away. ie. MCG gets the first one, the interstate gets the 2nd one. Making the eagles for example travel to Melbourne twice in 2 weekends (or stay in Melbourne) is a Huge advantage to a Melbourne based team.

What I am saying it is really not fair for interstate teams. What about 2 interstate teams in a grand final? both travelling for 2 games in a row in Melbourne? sounds stupid to me and it is.

Yes but its already not fair in that they have to travel over for the first one. So doing so again is a moot point.

How you been following this thread at all? Or just not understanding the issues?

Having a replay doesn't enhance anything unfair that isn't already unfair in the system.

You're adding outside factors to the debate.

Let's assume the grand final was always held in New Zealand and both teams had to travel - would you be ok with a replay then?

Surprising call by the fat cats at hq. A decision that will see them not make extra money.. Can't get my head around it. Big Gil would push a school kid over for a greenback

I assume the Players Association were behind it?

i just personally happen to think that beating a team again over another entire match is a fairer outcome than adding an arbitrary amount of 'extra time' to the end of the drawn game.
In terms of fairness I think extra time is the better option as there are often guys playing injured by the end of the match who could sneak through another 10 mins, but would be no chance of returning the following week. It's also an incredibly draining experience so some teams just couldn't back up mentally the following week.

But I love the quirkiness of the GF Replay as it's so rare in professional sport. I don't think it's as fair as playing extra time, but I'm certainly not going to jump aboard the campaign to axe it. In terms of issues the AFL should be focussing on this wouldn't rate anywhere near the top.

Having a replay doesn't enhance anything unfair that isn't already unfair in the system.

Yes it does. Having an interstate team travel twice (especially the WA teams) gives a huge added advantage to Melbourne based teams!!

Yes it does. Having an interstate team travel twice (especially the WA teams) gives a huge added advantage to Melbourne based teams!!

But they already travel once under the current system!!! That's a debate about where the grand final should be held - not whether their should be a replay or not. The issues are being confused.

But they already travel once under the current system!!! That's a debate about where the grand final should be held - not whether their should be a replay or not. The issues are being confused.

The second one, twice in 2 weeks adds a lot more of a toll then one trip. Therefore the Melbourne based team have a bigger advantage in the second match over the first match. I am not confusing the argument, I just know from personal experience what repeated travel can do, especially the length from Perth to Melbourne.

Like when Sydney and Brisbane did it?

Eagles fly over from Perth every second week - and now one more week of doing that is going to make them capitulate?

Every second week ;) Not 2 weeks in a row. The second match West Coast would be at a far greater disadvantage then the first. Thank you for helping me prove my point

Like when Sydney and Brisbane did it?

Eagles fly over from Perth every second week - and now one more week of doing that is going to make them capitulate?

I never said capitulate. Dont put words in my mouth. I said they would be at a greater disadvantage in a second game compared to the first game.

Every second week ;) Not 2 weeks in a row. The second match West Coast would be at a far greater disadvantage then the first. Thank you for helping me prove my point

Would they? Based on what? gut feel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scrap the GF replay and scrap the two periods of extra time for the other finals.

I want one solution, not the three we currently have.

If the score is level when time has elapsed, keep playing until someone scores and blow the final siren a few seconds after the goal umpire has given their decision.

It worked well in the pre-season competition in the late 80's.

In the 1989 National Panasonic Cup Quarter-Final, Paul Peos scored a behind for the Eagles to defeat the Hawks at Waverley probably 90 seconds after normal time expired. Most at the stadium realized that the quarter was going much longer than it should have, and understood the next score would win, and that added to the excitement at the ground.

This solution should be easily implemented no matter what status the game is.

If it happened in a home and away game, I like the idea of giving the winner 3 premiership points and the loser would get 1 as an acknowledgement the game was equal when normal time expired.

The VIC team gets 6-10 more hours to prepare and recover while the WA team would be on a plane (the two trips), for starters.

Yes but that happens in the normal grand final and hasn't effected the interstate teams winning record

Who gives a shit what WA teams or their supporters have to deal with. The can piss off and start their own league if they don't like it.
Things Melbourne supporters have not had to worry about for the better part of 2 decades.
The Y2K bug.
Grand Finals.

Even though I'm a staunch traditionalist, even I'm leaning towards playing extra time to get a result on the day.

Two 10-minute halves is plenty to get a result, it's virtually a 5th quarter in total time played, survival of the fittest !!

In fact if the league is going to play extra time for a GF, then they should have it for ALL games thus getting rid of a drawn result permanently.

Keep it, it is tradition and better than seeing a game decided on golden point like the NRL do. Also in 120 years there has been 3 replays, that works out to one every 40 years. It is not like we are playing a game like soccer that is full of draws

Why the furore over an event that happens once every 40 years? Not really worth the discussion it has generated.
Because the fact it's only occurred 3 times in 100 years doesn't mean it won't occur 3 times in 5 years.

Regardless, it needs to be addressed. Better to do so before it can potentially occur again.

Personally think there are far more important matters to be worrying about. However, that said, it would be an easy thing to fix if the clubs so wanted it gone.

Because the fact it's only occurred 3 times in 100 years doesn't mean it won't occur 3 times in 5 years.

Regardless, it needs to be addressed. Better to do so before it can potentially occur again.
There's nothing to stop me winning first division lotto three times in three weeks, but I'm not making plans on the chance of it happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back