Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the 2010 grand final and the replay. No doubt in my mind extra time is the right option for the players on the day, fans and the league.

That said, why couldn't interstate teams stay the entire week in Melbourne? They could easily book hotel rooms for a week and train at any one of the at least 9 Victorian clubs training bases. It's unlikely Melbourne will be in a grand final any time soon, so presuming Victory and/or Storm aren't busy they can use the shared AAMI Park facilities without accessing any intellectual property. It's kind of a moot point but I don't see why teams from QLD or WA would even fly home.
It's not about the teams, it's about the thousands of members who pay potentially a grand or more just to get to the first grand final, even from Sydney let alone Perth or Queensland.

It's not about the teams, it's about the thousands of members who pay potentially a grand or more just to get to the first grand final, even from Sydney let alone Perth or Queensland.
The argument against that is that a replay opens up the opportunity for those who missed out the first time to make it to the replay as there is less corporates

I personally like the replay but i can also see the non Victorian argument

If the timer reaches zero and it's drawn the TAC cup final just keeps going without the siren being blown until someone scores.

It's actually the perfect solution and elegantly in keeping with the unique "unknown siren time" feature of our game. Sure, word would get around that time was up, but that frission of excitement sweeping around the place would just add to the frenzy.

the most sane solution so it won't get picked.

personally i'm backing multiball all the balls in the bag are thrown on to the field whichever team scores the most super goals in the next 5 minutes wins.
the important thing is we have a flashing timer which tells everyone exactly how much time is left.

Scrap the "tradition" as it is now a national game. Definately a disadvantage to any of the interstate teams.

Two extra time periods of 5-10 minutes and drop off 2 players to the bench so that the field is opened up further. Adds a bit more strategy. Do you drop the bigger bodies and keep the quicker players or keep the bigger ones to outmuscle the quicker players?

Traditions start somewhere and why not start a new tradition of no reply?

The argument against that is that a replay opens up the opportunity for those who missed out the first time to make it to the replay as there is less corporates

I personally like the replay but i can also see the non Victorian argument

If someone is volunteering to pay my flights and accommodation again then sure.

Otherwise I really can't get behind the idea that it's a net win for people living in a city with a hundred AFL games a year to have a chance go to another one. The cost of that is it comes at the expense of thousands of people who went to enormous effort to travel actually getting closure and a result.

(It's also especially galling in situations where we're already playing an away game regardless of merit... and are now being told a replay is acceptable because more locals to that city can then attend the new game at my expense)

I have no issue with getting a result on GF day so long as they leave the in season 'draws' alone.
You get to where you get on the ladder with the points accumulated during the season.
If it's 0, 2, or 4 for the game in question then so be it.

Agree with that. I hate the concept of a gf replay with a passion, but have no issue at all with teams sharing the points during the season. A draw is a legitimate result in that context.

Plus it keeps extra time as an exciting novelty if it only comes out in finals when it's really needed.

If someone is volunteering to pay my flights and accommodation again then sure.

Otherwise I really can't get behind the idea that it's a net win for people living in a city with a hundred AFL games a year to have a chance go to another one. The cost of that is it comes at the expense of thousands of people who went to enormous effort to travel actually getting closure and a result.
You want to be there bad enough, you'll fly back the week after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you make a habit of planning multiple expensive holidays in rapid succession?
No I don't, but I don't see how allowing more people the opportunity to witness the spectacle of a Grand Final could be a bad thing? Particularly when corporates appear to take a lesser share of the tickets to the replay?

There's a difference between grand finals on a known date when you have a fair idea if you might be there heading into September, and the 1 in 100 chance it's all for nothing and you have to double up on every plan.

And as I said earlier it is especially galling in situations where we're already playing an away game regardless of merit... and are now being told a replay is acceptable because more locals to that city can then attend the new game at my expense.

Frankly unless the AFL is planning to comp us the repeat flights and accommodation they should have fixed this years ago. They were very close to disaster in both 2005 and 2006.

There's a difference between grand finals on a known date when you have a fair idea if you might be there heading into September, and the 1 in 100 chance it's all for nothing and you have to double up on every plan.
I understand, but what are the people attending the initial game really missing out on? They see a game of football - which is what they paid for. That it ultimately didn't end up being the decider is irrelevant. It's a risk you take.

That's very easy to say when you live on the same train network as the permanent immovable home of the grand final.
I live in Perth. I was actually going to say I was surprised and pleased that you hadn't resorted to that argument. Oh well.

I find it weird that we still have replays for the GF but not for any other game. I reckon if it's good enough for all other finals to be extra time then the GF should be no different.

1990 with the Final 5 was a doozy.

Essendon (1st) played their last H&A game on 1st September, then finals on 23rd, 29th September and 6th October.

Collingwood (2nd) played their last H&A game on 1st September, then finals on 8th, 15th, 23rd September and 6th October.

We (3rd) played Rd 21 on the Gold Coast, Rd 22 in Geelong, then 4 consecutive finals in Melbourne.

I don't see any particular reason to change it, I like it for the novelty factor. Won't exactly start a picket protest if they do change it though.

People who blindly follow tradition are holding the world back.

People who believe there's such a thing as 'back' or 'forward' are holding the world in no particular direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back