Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It's unlikely, but what if it's a draw two weeks in a row? I remember some convoluted rule saying there'd be time-on in that situation. What if it was still a draw after THAT time on?

AFL just wanting to cash in...make it time on.

(I don't have a problem with it in the regular season...provides some interest.)

You want to be there bad enough, you'll fly back the week after.
Spoke like someone who has literally no idea on how much it costs.

In 2010 in a game with **** all demand in perth it cost me 2k plus for return flights via sydney

In 2013 when freo made it. People were paying 5k plus return. It was cheaper to fly to london than to melbourne.

These flights are non refundable and cant be changed.

The argument is then why dont people just stay the extra week. Well theres the fact youd have to book another flight still and the hotels in melbourne are also expensive. Cheapest i found in 2010 was 200 a night for some shit hole

People in melbourne literally have no idea on the cost

The argument is then why dont people just stay the extra week. Well theres the fact youd have to book another flight still and the hotels in melbourne are also expensive. Cheapest i found in 2010 was 200 a night for some shit hole

And surely your boss would be totally fine with you saying "I'm not coming in next week" on 2 days notice :drunk:

I'd be all in favour of keeping the replay, if it wasn't replayed at the MCG. It's the competition we're in and we live with it, but it's ridiculous enough as it is that it's possible to play a lower ranked team, that you've beaten in a previous final, at their home ground to decide the premiership (last year as the most recent example, but we've had a few other finals against lower ranked opponents away). To have to go back twice in 2 weeks would be crazy in the same situation for a non-vic side and would essentially hand the vic side the premiership. It's a farce in a national competition.

Should've been scrapped in 2010 after it became apparent how terrible it is i.e. unfairness, cost, non-VIC teams etc.

2010 replay was also one of the shittest grand finals ever. Any non-Collingwood supporter who says they were glad to wait a week to see that is a ******* liar.
The build up was seriously crap. Felt like the 2nd week of finals not even a prelim like build up

Was seriously average

I like the Grand Final replay, its so rare and when it does happen its also the Grand Final that is most accessible to the fans as all the commitments to corporates and sponsors have already been taken care of.

As for the interstate teams complaining about additional travel, who's to say the grand final replay has to be played at the MCG? I'd be happy for it to be played interstate if the team that finished higher after the H&A season wasn't from Victoria. There should be nothing to stop the replay from being hosted elsewhere as long as the stadiums haven't already started installing cricket pitches.

Also who doesn't want another Grand Final weekend of getting together with mates and watching the game over a few beers? Un-Australian to want less of this IMO.

Spoke like someone who has literally no idea on how much it costs.

In 2010 in a game with **** all demand in perth it cost me 2k plus for return flights via sydney

In 2013 when freo made it. People were paying 5k plus return. It was cheaper to fly to london than to melbourne.

These flights are non refundable and cant be changed.

People in melbourne literally have no idea on the cost
I'm from Perth as I've already stated you ****. So I think I have an idea, thanks.

A second Grand Final is usually cheaper and more access able to the public than the first. As I've already stated, the only thing you are owed by the AFL the week of a Grand Final is a game of footy. There's a risk that if its drawn it means you won't be seeing the decider. If you don't like that risk, don't go to the bloody game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2010 was a total disaster. The people wanted extra time. The players wanted extra time. Everyone wanted extra time.

And it totally stuffed up my son's birthday party scheduled for the Saturday after the GF. I was made to look like an idiot when I assured my wife that draws never happen in GFs.

I'm fully down with the argument that people from all over the world (I've had friends that have flown in from overseas to get to GFs) and not just interstate make the effort to get to the game and for it to declared null and void because of a drawn result would be heartbreaking. Happy to see the replay go.

Keep the draw in the H&A season as it is a result (in that it can determine your ladder position) and have extra time in all finals.

Anyone who watched last years NRL grand final will have to agree extra time was amazing.

I went to the 2010 replay and it was a great experience but didn't feel like a 'real' grand final.

Scrap it.

If you think having a replay is 'unfair' then make sure you win it the first time around.

Playing extra time doesn't worry me but the 'unfair' argument is the typical victim mentality we see from supporters of certain teams.

Also, is it possible for supporters of the "world's greatest sport" to go a week without wanting to change some aspect of the sport?

Finals and in particular "The Grand Final" is the exception to the rule. The replay is just a logistical nightmare for Interstate teams participating, so they must play extra time and get a result on the day. However that's where it ends with the draw. I am dead against extra time in H&A.
That imbecile Brayshaw bellows "the draw is archaic" and should be scrapped. Since 1897 there have only a little over 300 draws in the history of this competition, the game is played over 4 QTRs, 2 hours and if the scores are still level after all that time and the game ends ...it's a bloody DRAW! Both teams get 2 points!
North Melbourne have only ever been involved in 17 draws in their entire 90 year history in the VFL/AFL.
Brayshaw is a nutjob! The draw has always been part of our game, less than 1% chance of it happening. Leave things alone Jimbo and concentrate on your job on the Footy Show, after being totally upstaged by Rebecca Madderrn last night your time is almost up too.

I honestly can't remember much about the 2010 replay aside from shaw's smother and gilbert spraying the footy. The game was a real let down and it almost felt like a chore to go through the whole build up again.
Scrap the f#cker -let's have a winner on the day.

If you think having a replay is 'unfair' then make sure you win it the first time around.

Playing extra time doesn't worry me but the 'unfair' argument is the typical victim mentality we see from supporters of certain teams.

Also, is it possible for supporters of the "world's greatest sport" to go a week without wanting to change some aspect of the sport?
Really? Easy to say supporting a Victorian team. And I know the Saints were on the wrong end of the replay last time. But with the competition so skewed towards the non-travelling team winning, it's a bit rich to assume a level playing field for everyone in the AFL when all roads lead to Victoria to decide who wins the flag. It's not the playing of the second game that's unfair, it's that in the event of a team outside of Victoria, who has finished above their Victorian counterpart (which has happened in 1991, 1994, 1996, 2002 and 2015), would have to travel twice, despite the vic team not earning that advantage, that's unfair, particularly when deciding premierships.

As for the interstate teams complaining about additional travel, who's to say the grand final replay has to be played at the MCG? I'd be happy for it to be played interstate if the team that finished higher after the H&A season wasn't from Victoria. There should be nothing to stop the replay from being hosted elsewhere as long as the stadiums haven't already started installing cricket pitches.
I think after the 2010 replay the issue of interstate teams and having to travel again was raised by Demetriou. AD had the same view as you, that perhaps the replay could be played elsewhere. The MCC had a different view, however, and stated that their contractual agreement was for AFL grand finals to be played at the MCG. Their view was that if it's a GF, it would have to be at the G under the current contract. Would make for an interesting legal stoush if it were to ever happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back