Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think after the 2010 replay the issue of interstate teams and having to travel again was raised by Demetriou. AD had the same view as you, that perhaps the replay could be played elsewhere. The MCC had a different view, however, and stated that their contractual agreement was for AFL grand finals to be played at the MCG. Their view was that if it's a GF, it would have to be at the G under the current contract. Would make for an interesting legal stoush if it were to ever happen.
I'm sure the AFL could negotiate that one if needed. The AFL would be the MCG's biggest source of income and all the AFL has to do is schedule games away from the MCG during the season, only meet its minimum contractual requirements and I'm sure the MCG would lose more income than they would by trying to hold on to something that only happens once every 3 decades.
Not only that, but even if it did happen, there would still be a 55% chance of the replay still being at the MCG if it was a Victorian side that finished higher on the ladder.

i'm curious to know why is this an issue now? demetriou had a talk with the afl after 2010 and it was agreed to keep the replay

is this a gill thing? if so, why was this not raised last year?

anyways... i admit, the 2010 gf draw was a novelty as a neutral and the drama of it all was kinda cool for a day or two, but the build up to the replay was so WTF and the actual replay game was such a let down... there is no way that both sides can come back the following week with the same intensity as the week prior, the quality of the game suffers one way or another and its a real anti climax... it simply becomes a Round 28 game

it's time for it to go i reckon

Last edited:

Get rid of it. It is hard enough as a WA fan to get over for the GF in the first place, let alone needing to take out a 2nd mortgage to afford the flights.
Not to mention that the already massive advantage a Vic side has always playing the GF in their backyard will get even greater having to come back a week later.
Finally an epic game just becomes null and void, which is a shame as it should be a game that is highlighted for years to come.

That 1990 drawn qualifying final was the stuff of legends. A cracking game, but the pies were too good the next week.

Imagine if the eagles had strung together 5 weeks together in melbourne and came out and won the flag? It would've been the kind of story that would be etched into footy folklore.

That 1990 drawn qualifying final was the stuff of legends. A cracking game, but the pies were too good the next week.

Imagine if the eagles had strung together 5 weeks together in melbourne and came out and won the flag? It would've been the kind of story that would be etched into footy folklore.

1990 AFL, all finals played in Melbourne regardless of who was playing

As a West Coast fan from Fitzroy Crossing (North-East WA) I make the 40 hour trip every year to see every grand final, regardless of whether my team is playing or not.

Yes, it was a bit annoying having to come back from the 2010 grand final and make the 80 hour return trip back to the 'G, but it was worth it in my eyes.

Really? Easy to say supporting a Victorian team. And I know the Saints were on the wrong end of the replay last time. But with the competition so skewed towards the non-travelling team winning, it's a bit rich to assume a level playing field for everyone in the AFL when all roads lead to Victoria to decide who wins the flag. It's not the playing of the second game that's unfair, it's that in the event of a team outside of Victoria, who has finished above their Victorian counterpart (which has happened in 1991, 1994, 1996, 2002 and 2015), would have to travel twice, despite the vic team not earning that advantage, that's unfair, particularly when deciding premierships.
It's not 1991 any more and non-Victorian teams now can avoid all travel up until the GF. The fixture is also manipulated now so WA teams don't play back-to-back away games.

What more do you want?

At least you get to play finals on your own home ground. We don't regardless of where we finish on the ladder. We're even forced to play on the oppositions home ground even though we finished above them on the ladder. And you're still whinging about a situation that will never happen again?

There's hardly an issue in regards to the AFL where West Aussies don't play the victim card. We get it, you love handouts.

Just try debating the GF replay vs OT on it's own merits. Not every aspect of the league has to be seen through the prism of pacifying WA's inferiority complex.

Probably good that they changed that rule.

it was only changed the following year in 1991 with the final 6 because the afl were not yet keen to try a night final, so they allowed the highest non vic side finishing 1st, 3rd, or 5th to play their final at home in week 1 on the sunday... west coast finished 1st and got to play the first non vic final at subi

it wasn't until 1994 that non vic sides were allowed to host finals in weeks 1-3 (that is as long as the mcg had a final each of those weeks as well)

Just watching 2010 on TV as a neutral that didn't even care who won it was infuriating enough, can't imagine how bad it would be for a fan that paid a heap of money to get there all for nothing.

Anyone that thinks it's a good idea to still have it is an imbecile, sorry but you just are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching 2010 on TV as a neutral that didn't even care who won it was infuriating enough, can't imagine how bad it would be for a fan that paid a heap of money to get there all for nothing.

Anyone that thinks it's a good idea to still have it is an imbecile, sorry but you just are.
What about me? I want replays brought back for finals, too.

What about me? I want replays brought back for finals, too.

Most Finals and GF replays have been so underwhelming. The 2010 replay lead up was very much meh.. Nobaby knew what to do or how to feel, it also stuffed a lot of plans up for the next week.

Bring in extra time far more exciting and thrilling.

I'm from Perth as I've already stated you ****. So I think I have an idea, thanks.

A second Grand Final is usually cheaper and more access able to the public than the first. As I've already stated, the only thing you are owed by the AFL the week of a Grand Final is a game of footy. There's a risk that if its drawn it means you won't be seeing the decider. If you don't like that risk, don't go to the bloody game.

Were you really 14 when you joined BF? You sound as wise as you would have been back then...

Must keep it as is. It's a wonderful, unique tradition. Why the hell do we have to clone overseas sports and pander to instant gratification all the time?

Aussie Rules is an endurance sport so it makes mores sense for a replay than it does for other sporting codes.

If the Olympic Marathon for example was a dead heat, would people argue it would make sense for a 100m sprint to determine the result?

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back