Push to axe the replay

Should the grand final replay be scrapped?

• No, keep the VFL tradition alive!

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • Yes, play extra time.

Votes: 115 66.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2010 GF would have been the big day that was etched into folklore forever if it had finished with a frenetic extra time showdown. Instead a great game was rendered essentially meaningless and we came back the next week for a ho hum replay that I can barely remember.

Yet you still remember the draw - so you've just contradicted yourself in the very next sentence :thumbsu:

Keeping the draw is obvious - they are so rare there is no need to change things and the last thing I went to see is a flag decided in a gimmicky 5 minute extra time session each way.

And what's not to say the next time it does it is not a Western Derby? Would you have anything to complain about then if both teams had to fly back the following week?

What is this nonsense about copying other codes anyway? Our game is unique and it should stay that way. I am sure 50 years from now our players can at least look back with fond memories that they played 2 grand finals in one year even if we did not win.
It's not about copying other codes, it's about being professional and fair. The reasons for retaining it are far from compelling. They largely amount to Victorian fans grasping to retain the VFL.

Yet you still remember the draw - so you've just contradicted yourself in the very next sentence :thumbsu:

Keeping the draw is obvious - they are so rare there is no need to change things and the last thing I went to see is a flag decided in a gimmicky 5 minute extra time session each way.
How is it gimmicky? It's a perfectly legitimate tie-breaker in EVERY other final (including the Replay). Additionally, it's merely an extension to the game which builds from the preceding 4 quarters. It's more legitimate than saying "we'll try again next week lads" because it accounts for all the circumstances and events that occur in the Grand Final.

Last edited:

Im all for extra time, the extra 10 minutes each way would be intense every possesion, clearance, mark, and bounce of the ball could be the difference between winning and loosing... it would be talked about for years afterwards.

If they keep the replay to those interstate people complaining about re-upping for airfairs and accommodation just take out "insurance" prior to the game, put $100 on the draw it usuallty pays $35-50

It's not about copying other codes, it's about being professional and fair. The reasons for retaining it are far from compelling. They largely amount to Victorian fans grasping to retain the VFL.
Does everyone in Western Australia see life as one giant conspiracy or just those that post on BF?

Farnarkeling provides one answer to the replay issue (sorry if already covered). If scores are level after the third warble, the phlange is lowered and players must arkle without flukems for two minutes. Any touch of leiderkrantz is like a foul on the black ie game over. Worked well in the recent world champs in Honduras or seemed to.

Having been 2 of the draws and replays that have happened in over a century I can say they are two of the more memorable fortnights of my football supporting life. The drawn games were memorable, the next week was exciting and the "replay" was a chance to go to another GF. The replay is also notable as the only time anything near a reasonable number of competing club supporters can get to a GF.

Lets leave the American need for immediate closure to Opra and daytime TV.

Wow, talk about a self-entitled mindset.

What other things about the game should we change so we don't risk losing you as a supporter?
If you think that when I spend $5k on something that its self entitled to want to get something in return then what can I say...
And no - don't tell me that 4 hours on a plane, a bed in a hotel and watching a game that ulitmately is nothing more than an exhibition game is a return.

How is a replay for two teams a question of equity?
Where the game is played may well be a reasonable debate but whether a full game or an immediate short time period decides a premiership has nothing to do with fairness.

I'm from Perth as I've already stated you ****. So I think I have an idea, thanks.

A second Grand Final is usually cheaper and more access able to the public than the first. As I've already stated, the only thing you are owed by the AFL the week of a Grand Final is a game of footy. There's a risk that if its drawn it means you won't be seeing the decider. If you don't like that risk, don't go to the bloody game.

did you go in 2010? how much were your flights? what dates did you fly out on? where did you stay? did you buy a corporate package or did you get a ticket allocation?

i went in 2010 and the cheapest flights i could find, taking into account work needing me back by the monday, was a tick over 2k. i looked at accommodation and it was very pricey 200 a night. so i was able to stay at a friends.

i think if you ask freo supporters they will have poorer stories. i remember reading posts, hearing on radio and in the news about how expensive the flights were. now imagine if it was a freo vs wce game, how expensive the flights would be

its just not sustainable to do that again, the following week and this is why the rule will be changed

history will remember it as progress, you're view point will be left in the dark ages

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where the game is played may well be a reasonable debate but whether a full game or an immediate short time period decides a premiership has nothing to do with fairness.
No, because 1 side going home and sleeping in their own beds for the next 7 nights, being able to go straight into their training facility the next morning for recovery is exactly fair and equatable to staying at a hotel for at the very least 2 of the next 7 nights, and not being able to go straight to their training facility the next morning for recovery. That's not just for WA clubs, that's for every single non Victorian club.

Well, the criticism of the replay is clearly on the basis that the final is contractually fixed to the home ground and state of a number of teams. I can't see that changing so why not address what we could change to make it fairer.

No, because 1 side going home and sleeping in their own beds for the next 7 nights, being able to go straight into their training facility the next morning for recovery is exactly fair and equatable to staying at a hotel for at the very least 2 of the next 7 nights, and not being able to go straight to their training facility the next morning for recovery. That's not just for WA clubs, that's for every single non Victorian club.
Did you read the post you responded to?

Well, the criticism of the replay is clearly on the basis that the final is contractually fixed to the home ground and state of a number of teams. I can't see that changing so why not address what we could change to make it fairer.
I don't know that the GF replay is contractually bound to be played at the G. If the venue is the issue then lets address the issue. Play a replay at an interstate clubs venue if there is a non Vic club in the GF.

Did you read the post you responded to?
Yes - you said "whether a full game or an immediate short time period decides a premiership has nothing to do with fairness".
That is what I was responding to. If I mistook you I'm sorry. There is obvious advantages for having a replay if its Vic vs Non Vic as compared to extra time.

The replay is a logistical nightmare for clubs outside of Victoria to begin with but also the fact that the replay will also mean that more taxis, train services, trams need to be arranged at short notice as well as pubs and restaurants also arranging for food and staff too is an issue.

People who say that the reply is unique to our game are just sprouting bullshit, the FA cup and major soccer finals had replays but they got rid of them because they are just not worth the hassle.

Yes - you said "whether a full game or an immediate short time period decides a premiership has nothing to do with fairness".
That is what I was responding to. If I mistook you I'm sorry. There is obvious advantages for having a replay if its Vic vs Non Vic as compared to extra time.
Where the game is played is a fair debate and a separate issue to whether there is a replay. The difference between a replay and a 5 min extra time or whatever is nit a question of fairness. They are different issues.

In 1977, if the GF Replay ended in a draw, Collingwood and North would have been back at it again the following Saturday for the 2nd Grand Final Replay.
Lots of unlikely things could happen. If we ruled our lives by them we'd never leave the womb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Push to axe the replay

Back