Prediction Q: If you start 0-2, is it time to look to the future? A: No

Remove this Banner Ad

Eight teams are 0-2 wow surely this is a first has the top 8 race been detroyed this early in the season. pretty sure a couple of those teams will bounce back, Swannies have been destroyed by injury

Not sure the top 8 is destroyed yet, but it makes top 4 a lot harder for the 0-2 teams. Every year recently the top 4 teams have lost 6 games or less.

I more or less felt like our season was over after the pitiful round one performance. Round two merely confirmed that opinion.
Yep and we have the dogs at subi and demons at the MCG I rounds 3 and 4 coming up. Then North in round 5. Hoping freo win that game or else we might have to wait until round 9 vs Carlton. as after round 5, we have the derby, Essendon at home and Richmond at the MCG.

lose the 2 at the start and your playing catchup hoping for your closest opposition to drop a game to catch up or you're reliant on beating them. Lose to them and your screwed
The only thing I could agree on is that it is merely psychological. Theoretically it makes zero difference in the scheme of things. Like I said earlier, find me the statistics for teams 1 and 2, or 2 and 4, or even 2 and 3. Break it up and it means nothing.

Looking back on my ladder predictions...

I had both Hawthorn and St. Kilda starting 0-2 and still making the finals.

Just putting it out there.

The only thing I could agree on is that it is merely psychological. Theoretically it makes zero difference in the scheme of things. Like I said earlier, find me the statistics for teams 1 and 2, or 2 and 4, or even 2 and 3. Break it up and it means nothing.
You're not quite taking into account the importance of the fixture.

Hawks were one win from seven in 2010. got belted in the first final, but were already looking to the future

With a couple of exceptions, those teams now on 0-2 are already obviously looking to the future, so its good advice already heeded

You're not quite taking into account the importance of the fixture.
Good point. Its not quite random, because its selected for block busters in the first two rounds. Previous grand finalists face off, Showdowns and derbies etc usually end up early. If anything the competitiveness in the first few rounds is hot.

Someone else here said that most of the bad teams that won't make the 8 will lose two in a row anyway. So if there are 10-12 teams with a good enough list to make the 8, you could have 4/18 teams each year that could be 0-2 and be good enough to make the finals. This year I think we have 3. Possibly 4 if Collingwood can improve.

FWIC, Hawks and Sydney definitely have good enough lists to make the 8. Saints are probably going to struggle.

1.Sydney
2. Hawks
3. Saints
4. Collingwood

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It only means nothing if an 0-2 team on average ends up with the same number of wins at the end of the season as a 1-2, 2-4, 2-3 time. I doubt that's actually the case.

Good point. Its not quite random, because its selected for block busters in the first two rounds. Previous grand finalists face off, Showdowns and derbies etc usually end up early. If anything the competitiveness in the first few rounds is hot.

Someone else here said that most of the bad teams that won't make the 8 will lose two in a row anyway. So if there are 10-12 teams with a good enough list to make the 8, you could have 4/18 teams each year that could be 0-2 and be good enough to make the finals. This year I think we have 3. Possibly 4 if Collingwood can improve.

FWIC, Hawks and Sydney definitely have good enough lists to make the 8. Saints are probably going to struggle.

1.Sydney
2. Hawks
3. Saints
4. Collingwood

So you are saying it does matter because most teams that start 0-2 are probably bad teams

:thumbsu:

Will not happen this year - at least one of the 0-2 teams will make finals.
I was hearing that on a the crows board with skepticism in 2015 when port and Geelong were 0-2

Let's see how it goes this time.

And yes, I realise I'm going all in prepared to die by the sword.

I was hearing that on a the crows board with skepticism in 2015 when port and Geelong were 0-2

Let's see how it goes this time.

And yes, I realise I'm going all in prepared to die by the sword.
There were only five teams that were 0-2 in 2015.

This year there are eight. Which means that if you are right, only 10 clubs can realistically make the finals. I don't see that happening this early in the season.

1.Sydney
2. Hawks
3. Saints
4. Collingwood
We now have 1 team sitting at 0-3. What's the chance of them playing finals this year?

We now have 1 team sitting at 0-3. What's the chance of them playing finals this year?

Saw an article from The Arc say the odds are historically 10% from 1994-2016 data if a team starts 0-3. A team has never made the finals in that time frame 0-4.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Q: If you start 0-2, is it time to look to the future? A: No

Remove this Banner Ad

Back