Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d be pretty shocked if we played Mullin in a tagging role in the midfield of a final after steadfastly refusing to do it for the whole season.

Winning a clean ball and indeed stopping someone from winning a ball in the centre of a AFL final is so difficult. One slip or fumble and the ball is cleared away at pace. You are not exposing an inexperienced player to that.

He would be slaughtered.

Mullin won’t be seen again in senior side this year.

Just watched the Tom Atkins press conference the cone of silence has gone up regarding Tom Stewart and Lawson Humphries.

Kane Farrell out for the rest of the year.

Tagging an explosive runner like JHF is very different to Bont or Merrett or Neale. Completely different set of skills and they happen to sign very well with what Mullin has.

I'd probably back Atkins but JHF's burst acceleration worries me.
Agreed. I think the best player to go with JHF all night would be Stewart- big-bodied, fast, mean and fearless; JHF needs to be tagged. Butters will hurt us as well. That way Stewart will avoid being tagged anyway, which often renders him useless

Pretty sure he will play a half in the VFL this week (I know it is only 6 days to the AFL game but a half makes sense) - what will be interesting is how much he plays in the ruck.

Looking forward to the Port game, our MC has shown the flexibility for match ups…

Port forward line likely to be Georgiades and Sav and either 1 or both of Dixon and Marshall back in the team. So 3-4 talls.

With that in mind I would not be surprised if we go with both Blitz and SDK in the backline alongside Kolo and Henry.

Concern obvioulsy is who we have to take Rioli - I think Max tried it last time without success (he left him alone). Do we think Zutrhrie can run with him? They also run Rozee and Horne through there so we need someone to pick them up.

That is what worries me. Could lean therefore to Mullin or Bews who are the right “type” but not sure are the right talent for any of those players?

I think we might play Stewart more “proper” MF this week - ie forward as well as back…. Having him go back just makes it easy for McnTee to tag him - which he is very effective at. If Stewart stays MF then they will have to sacrifice one of their stars in the MF to tag Stewart. I know Stewart isn’t a great pure MF but if it means we take out the tag or one of their MF out of the middle, it could be smart tactic?
Not sure SDK is eligible to play a VFL final, but this is still H & A?

He and Houston are massive, massive outs IMO.

No complaints here.
It means our fleet of smalls don't have to spend half of their time worrying about line breaking weapons sling shotting it up the other end. Port still have some decent rebounders remaining but it does stunt their ball movement (in theory) from defensive 50 to attack.

If we aren't massacred in the territory game we are in with a shot. It's a sizeable if though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the biggest question marks for me is if the MC will pick Neale over Hawkins. Not convinced they will and I think I’d lean towards Neale after he kicked 1+ goals in every game but I’m not convinced it’s a clear decision.

If Hawk has been training and gotten fit (?) I suspect it will be a big question at the club over the next fortnight.
I rarely question our MC, they get it right most of the time.

But if they pick Hawk over Neale for this game they have lost the plot.

Mate I know you love Neale but if Hawkins can make a case that he’s match fit they can and may. I reckon Hawk would need to do a lot of running and proving himself but Stanley’s late-season form makes me wonder what Scotty means by getting the squad right at the right time of year.
How can Hawk possibly be match fit? He hasn’t played any matches for months. By definition he is not match fit.

Bowes runs out of legs. It's obvious. His tacking and chasing completely falls off by late in the third 1/4.
He cant go with Horney.
He'd be cooked at 1/2 time.

Danger will go head to head I think.
Are you havin a laff?

There is no way danger goes head to head with JHf.

We will rotate people on him. A bit of Atkins here, a bit of Bowes there, a sprinkle of mullin for good measure

Kolo played on him last time and Rioli kicked 4.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
in a game that he was isolated 1 out in the forward 50 because we turned the ball over with monotonous regularity.

Kolo is our best lock down defender, and can definitely play on smallish forwards. Rioli is crafty, but not necessarily quick. Kolo can handle him if we give him half a chance with midfield pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back