Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody seems to be sulking, just preparing for a likely result that sees us take on HAWKS or Dogs.
Anything better than that is a thing of beauty.
So? People don't need to be told that they are underestimating the opposition. It's abrasive and insulting. Respect is being shown, threats acknowledged, and as Geelong supporters, we also look for positive angles as well. If that's unpalatable then then I don't know what to say. Repeating over and over "we just can't win this" isn't how I will ever go into a game.

So? People don't need to be told that they are underestimating the opposition. It's abrasive and insulting. Respect is being shown, threats acknowledged, and as Geelong supporters, we also look for positive angles as well. If that's unpalatable then then I don't know what to say. Repeating over and over "we just can't win this" isn't how I will ever go into a game.
Some people also need to express what they think too- it's all about acceptance and balance. I have some hope, as you've read

Some people also need to express what they think too- it's all about acceptance and balance. I have some hope, as you've read
Yes but I saw people telling others off for underestimating the opposition. Something we hear every single week.

If we consistently underestimated the opposition, I imagine we all must have predicted Geelong to finish 1st this season as that would be an estimation above 3rd. What's that, the average was closer to 7th or 8th? So the lectures about overestimating our team and diminishing others just don't float. There's been none of that in this thread and a whole stack of people pumping up Port.

Anyway, moving on.

Nah man, I have it on good authority that Port players and coaches are reading this thread as we speak.

We do indeed have an impact on the result, and should tread carefully and always respect the opposition. Don't want to rile them up and give them too much ammunition.

Ken, I know you're reading this, Pepsi Max > Coke No sugar. Argue with a wall.

And Josh Carr, those glasses aren't working mate. More Damian Barrett than Jude Law if you know what I mean.

Honestly, Rioli is a good but not great small forward. Yes, he’s had a couple of good games against us recently. But he’s not in the same ballpark as someone like Charlie Cameron from the past few years or even Stengle. He’s only ever kicked 30 goals in a season once.

He’s the kind of player we just back our team defence to stop. I’d expect Zuthrie will spend a fair bit of time with the matchup, but others will also rotate on him.
Agree- he hasn’t got pace or athleticism but he’s very crafty close to goal which is where Port play him.
Only needs 5 touches and he’s kicked 3 , very dangerous as he can also kick them in quick succession.

Agree- he hasn’t got pace or athleticism but he’s very crafty close to goal which is where Port play him.
Only needs 5 touches and he’s kicked 3 , very dangerous as he can also kick them in quick succession.

It's also a fantastic story to see a person who made a poor choice in life, do their time then come back to make the most of the opportunity they have been given.
Rioli always kicks momentum shifting goals.

He’s had a good couple of weeks but he’s also had some horrible performances this year. They were so bad he had to be subbed out and the team was transformed without him on the field. It’s great he’s been able to come back and contribute to the team but we can’t go into the finals blind to the fact he may also offer the other Stanley at any time.

It’s a bit of a line call in my opinion but I don’t think they can play Dekoning, Blicavs and Stanley in the same team.
Can't help but think it was the now traditional 'turns unknown into Gary Dempsey' type of thing with Rhys that game, he's regularly been torched silly by absolute unknowns in the ruck, but performs quite well against recognised ruckmen. He has to play, if he's fit....which he looks to be and with the week off, he should be ready to produce. Has been taking some marks around the ground and albeit against WCE, he did kick two goals too. The ghosts of the 2019 QF still haunt me with Stanley being left out due to expected weather, only for Grundy to dominate and we play pretty badly to in the end lose by just 10 points to the Pies that year. Given how the game panned out at K.P earlier this year with some out or the arse efforts by some Port players, I reckon if Geelong can hang in there, the pressure could make them crack.

Agree. All our GUNS would have to be at their best, with Port having an off day.
Having been to finals at AO, never again.
The home crowd is definitely a massive advantage, and it makes a difference to the enjoyment factor.
Port deserves success this year, if it comes their way- much prefer that to the Hawks going all the way.
Can't agree with your sentiments on Port Vdubs Respect the port magpies and there history, but that's as far as it goes. Long time Sturt supporter here in S.A and there is no love lost between the two clubs. Hinkley never softened that thought process when he came over and neither has Motlop, Narkle, Evans & Sav. Despite all there non success, they strut around like the lions as if they've won the premiership and have done so the last few yrs
What I have noticed though with Port, since that loss to the tigers and more recently they've become more resilient from that Carlton W 5 weeks ago.
If we can some how break even out of the middle I give us a chance.
Us and AO in finals doesn't mix and our team this final does seem lesser than our other trips here in past finals.

Really? Almost every post I've seen says we should lose (most of them saying comfortably) but there are bits of hope we can hold onto. A few will always dare to dream.

Apologies for not just declaring it's absolutely over already and sulking for 2 weeks leading into the game.
There’s always hope of course.

It’s not sulking mate it’s being realistic.
If you look at the stats, premiership profiles, premiership window, even the squiggle we are no where near it in any of them. Not even close.
In fact, along with Carlton we are the weakest team in it.
This year might be the anomaly - who knows.

I’m not saying we can’t win, I just think it’s incredibly long odds.
Just like Vdubs said - we would have to be at our absolute best and Port would have to be off.

The last time I went into a final thinking we were really long odds like this was funnily enough the 2004 QF against port.

I’m over the moon we made top 4. Brilliant effort from the club.

If we win, I’ll be the first to put my hand up and say I was wrong.

Geelong, whatever happens, you will always be Kenough.

Predicting we'll be seeing a fair bit of this at full-time.

View attachment 2094152

As they say though, Kennything is possible.

If we do manage to win, it might just be unkenable down at Alberton for bottom ten ken.

'Ken oath.
As a Scottish person might say, "Och aye, I dinnae ken..."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot of people underestimating port.
Was similar a few weeks ago before we played the Saints.

Imo it’s going to take a miracle to win this game.
In reality it doesn't matter how many fans underestimate the opposition, as long as the coach and the team don't!

I know I'm in the minority here, but if fit I'd play both Hawkins and Neale. Think there is a chance to stretch the powers backline. I think they will send Aliir to Jez again and if that's a success for Port, Jez may need to head up the ground to be an impact.

In that scenario it would be good for Hawkins to be a goal square presence against someone not as strong like zerg thatcher, with Neale roaming 40 meters up.

I'd also play Neale as the back up ruck for the 25% of the game Stanley is on the bench.

I wonder if Scott will ponder using Blicvas for a hard tag on Horne Francis. To stop him you need a big athletic body that can run well...and you absolutely need a plan for JHF or he will kill us again.

So if Blitz is possibly tagging, would be handy for Neale to be there to play 25% ruck, maybe 40% forward. With Hawkins the true goal square full forward and Jez roaming where he wants. You'd still have majority of game with 2 or 3 crumbing forwards plus OH, factoring bench rotations.

Think Port would struggle to contain that.

I know I'm in the minority here, but if fit I'd play both Hawkins and Neale. Think there is a chance to stretch the powers backline. I think they will send Aliir to Jez again and if that's a success for Port, Jez may need to head up the ground to be an impact.

In that scenario it would be good for Hawkins to be a goal square presence against someone not as strong like zerg thatcher, with Neale roaming 40 meters up.

I'd also play Neale as the back up ruck for the 25% of the game Stanley is on the bench.

I wonder if Scott will ponder using Blicvas for a hard tag on Horne Francis. To stop him you need a big athletic body that can run well...and you absolutely need a plan for JHF or he will kill us again.

So if Blitz is possibly tagging, would be handy for Neale to be there to play 25% ruck, maybe 40% forward. With Hawkins the true goal square full forward and Jez roaming where he wants. You'd still have majority of game with 2 or 3 crumbing forwards plus OH, factoring bench rotations.

Think Port would struggle to contain that.

Blicavs can run all day, but my concern would be that by games end he'd be about 15km behind JHF.

Just be careful going through Nhill. I swear that town holds up the state finances with the amount of speeding fines handed out there.
They are sneaky buggers where they sit waiting.
Seconded. That whole Adelaide Melb road is notorious for speeding fines.
Extra bad when footy traffic is expected and state coffers are empty.
Cruise control is your friend!

It's 13 wins and 15 losses. Let's not do the man too dirty.

Gabba 2020
You missed the loss at Geelong v Freo?

Was focusing on AWAY finals
3 Wins - 5 Losses

Adelaide Oval
2017 : Crows L
2020 : Power L
2021 : Power L

Gabba : 2020 :
Pies W : Lions W : Tigers L

Perth : 2021
GWS W : Melb L

Only true AWAY WIN was
2020 v Lions at Gabba

2020 v Pies at Gabba W
2021 v GWS at Perth W
Were Neutral Grounds

Cats away finals record is poor
Must win v Power next Thursday
Win = Home MCG finals advantage
Loss = Prelim v Swans at SCG

Why is Hawkins continually mentioned? He’s no chance regardless of form. He is still rehabilitating his injury. Only started running last week.

I think Scott would want Stanley and SDK in the team, with Blics in the backs, with SDK at some of the centre bounces and creating a mismatch elsewhere with his height and good ground ball play. Stanley to spell Neale and Cameron up forward.

The risk is that it hasn’t been tried out, but the opposition won’t be expecting it. It also might unbalance the structure and who goes out.

I think Scott would want Stanley and SDK in the team, with Blics in the backs, with SDK at some of the centre bounces and creating a mismatch elsewhere with his height and good ground ball play. Stanley to spell Neale and Cameron up forward.

The risk is that it hasn’t been tried out, but the opposition won’t be expecting it. It also might unbalance the structure and who goes out.
After so many finals where we dropped all of our talls, it would be unusual if CS decided to go taller than average for this one.

Has been taking some marks around the ground and albeit against WCE, he did kick two goals too
This
2 aspects of Stanley’s game that have been notably absent in recent times.
Not sure whether it was a confidence thing or just injury, but if he can continue this form it will be a big piece of the finals puzzle in place for us. Fit and firing Stanley is an underrated weapon and takes pressure off Blicavs who is clearly hampered in some way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back