Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was my initial feeling too. But then I wonder whether we hold those players to different standards?

Ie when Ryhss plays ok we get so excited and think he had a really good game and when SDK is just ok we think wasn’t good?

When I step back I wonder whether SDK/Blitz is a better combination with Blitz playing 70% back?

I reckon the MC will be thinking it through.

Maybe........

I'm probably biased by the fact that I'm not a fan of SDK in the ruck full stop.

I get he's young etc, but he just doesn't look natural there imo.

Stanley has hit a purple patch, SDK hasn't played for a while, and we've only got a few games to go.

Stanley for me.

Twenty seven disposals, a goal, six inside fifties and seven clearances, if Mullin does play (he won't) I certainly hope he keeps him on a tighter rein this time around.

Mullin came on as the sub and went to him after half time. JHR was running away with the game in the first half, 15 disposals, 5 clearances and a goal. Mullin went to him - 0 clearances in the 3rd, only 2 in the last, still had 10 disposals but very little impact. I suggest you watch the games first before making a fool of yourself.

Twenty seven disposals, a goal, six inside fifties and seven clearances, if Mullin does play (he won't) I certainly hope he keeps him on a tighter rein this time around.
I doubt Mullin plays. However he was a sub in that game and came onto JHF for the second half.
First half stats 15 Disposals at 66%, 4 inside 50s, 5 clearances, 1-1 and 1 goal assist.
Second half 11 disposals at 55%, 2 clearances, 2 inside 50s, 0-1 and 0 goal assists.
Oisin had 10 disposals of his own.

Mullin has done a decent job tagging JHF and Hill this year yes?

Clearly I'd say he has... but that's why I find the way he has been used weird.

I will say I found the use of Manngh also weird.

Anyway, Mullin played well tagging JHF and Hill only to be dropped the next week both times.

When he goes back to the VFL he generally plays in the backline.

Why the heck has he not been playing mid in the VFL since last year (or at least 50/50 mid/defence).

Bringing Mullin in to tag in our biggest game of the year with him only playing as a tagger a couple of times in his life seems like a weird concept to me.

I'm just surprised he wasn't playing that role a bunch more times to be more prepared in case he is called upon to do so.

Don't worry about it. We win and that's awesome. We lose and life goes on.

There's no mozzing to be had on our part. If a player or coach was saying it, then yeah it's probably time to worry.

Posters can say whatever they want, time will tell who's right or wrong.
1724994592125.png

Maybe........

I'm probably biased by the fact that I'm not a fan of SDK in the ruck full stop.

I get he's young etc, but he just doesn't look natural there imo.

Stanley has hit a purple patch, SDK hasn't played for a while, and we've only got a few games to go.

Stanley for me.
I agree with your views…

Except that it leads me to a logic that SDK doesn’t get picked which I can’t get my head around.

Of course I might be being to black and white and they will move Blitz out of defence and find another role….but…

I've seen some left field suggestions in my time here but Duncan and liability while advocating for Mullin sure is a doozy from boris.

IF Mullin is to be brought in to perform a tagging role (can’t see it happening though) then Tuohy should be the one to make way. Not Duncan.

All eyes on SdK on this weekend. Clearly we can't afford an underdone or tentative Sam against Port. O'Connor might be under scutiny too. Wasn't that long back where i thought his tagging made him our 'go to' stopper. Don't understand why he has fallen off other than there's just no spot available for a utility given the rise of Humphreys, the Rising Star and Mannagh. However, we need to blunt their midfield, particulalry when Paddy rotates and both O'Connor and Mullin have potential in thsi regard.

All eyes on SdK on this weekend. Clearly we can't afford an underdone or tentative Sam against Port. O'Connor might be under scutiny too. Wasn't that long back where i thought his tagging made him our 'go to' stopper. Don't understand why he has fallen off other than there's just no spot available for a utility given the rise of Humphreys, the Rising Star and Mannagh. However, we need to blunt their midfield, particulalry when Paddy rotates and both O'Connor and Mullin have potential in thsi regard.

O’Conner has been injured for the past couple of months, someone correct me if I’m wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF Mullin is to be brought in to perform a tagging role (can’t see it happening though) then Tuohy should be the one to make way. Not Duncan.
Just don’t see where Duncan fits, Mullin would be mid/defence and Tuohy the perfect sub if we go tall and Rhys/SDK come off for him.

Just don’t see where Duncan fits, Mullin would be mid/defence and Tuohy the perfect sub if we go tall and Rhys/SDK come off for him.

Duncan still a useful distributor off half back/wing. Is making more errors than he once did but still knows how to rack up the footy.

If De Koning comes in it has to be for Blicavs. He’s been ordinary this year. Footskills even worse.

1 game ago his opponent (Marshall) was one of the dominant players on the ground.

The game before he battled on solidly against Jackson. But Stanley had 7 touches, a goal, 1 clearance and 0 tackles.

It's hard to see where the purple patch is prior to the Eagles game.

To my eye Stanley has gone alright.

More importantly, he's got some match fitness, and we only have a couple of games to go.

Meanwhile SDK has loitered in the medical room. He'll want to be convincing during the VFL game for mine to warrant consideration for next Thursday.

We should be gun shy about taking injured or recovering players into finals.

No, it’s to successfully blanket JHF like he did last time, and like he did to Brad Hill only a couple of weeks ago.
You'd think if the MC had confidence that Mullin could consistently blanket players of the caliber of JHF, then maybe they would have used him in that role for more than a half of football this year?

I've seen some left field suggestions in my time here but Duncan and liability while advocating for Mullin sure is a doozy from boris.

What's impressed you about Duncan this year? Was it his 9 disposals in rd 22? Or were his 4 disposals (one was a kick in) as sub the following week particularly impressive? Or maybe his 14-disposal masterclass playing loose across half back in rd 24 was what got you?

Anyone can get 20 uncontested possessions running loose off half back as Duncan's done most of the year. But not even he's been able to manage 15 (or even 10) possessions let alone 20 in his past three games. What a 'doozy'.

I agree with your views…

Except that it leads me to a logic that SDK doesn’t get picked which I can’t get my head around.

Of course I might be being to black and white and they will move Blitz out of defence and find another role….but…

It depends on what SDK shows tomorrow.

He needs to show he has the conditioning, and mindset, to play senior footy.

If he shows any sign of being gun-shy, or leaves lingering questions about his fitness we should put a line through him imo.

We can't afford to carry anyone next Thursday.

If he is selected then I'd prefer him in defence rather than jumping up and down on a suspect knee.

What's impressed you about Duncan this year? Was it his 9 disposals in rd 22? Or were his 4 disposals (one was a kick in) as sub the following week particularly impressive? Or maybe his 14-disposal masterclass playing loose across half back in rd 24 was what got you?

Anyone can get 20 uncontested possessions running loose off half back as Duncan's done most of the year. But not even he's been able to manage 15 (or even 10) possessions let alone 20 in his past three games. What a 'doozy'.
Agreed, and I love what Mitch has been, bring him in the following week if it doesn’t work out but I think the risk reward for Mullin is undeniable.

I agree with your views…

Blicavs to sub

Thinking I suggested it earlier in the week and the more I think about it the more it's making sense in my head - especially if we go with both Stanley & SDK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back