Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Rd9 game against Port where McEntee tagged Stewart. I’m staggered that a player can be punched, bumped blocked every 2-5 seconds 100 meters off the ball for 4 quarters and the only time a free kick is paid, it’s AGAINST Stewart for retaliating!
There are 4 umpires. I would expect if those tactics were employed again then 2 things should happen.
1: Geelong fly the flag and retaliate/block the tagger
2: Danger or Stewart alert the umpires to watch what’s happening waaaaay off the ball or the contest and actually allow Stewart to play footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've only played one person in a tagging role since the Port game and that was Mullin v Hill. Does that mean they don't think he's capable? Or does it mean they didn't think the tagging role was a good approach? What we do know for sure is he is capable of tagging JHF as he's done it before, so why not do it again?
We have added Dangerfield, Stewart, Bowes and Bruhn to our midfield compared to the mid season Port game and 3 of them have received coaches votes a few times since then. Why not use our actual midfield instead of bringing in a player who has tagged at midfield stoppages 2 quarters for the whole season?

Due to a heart condition I've got to take antibiotics before going to the dentist - I remember as a youngster, I tried to tell me parents I wasn't feeling well but they said it was just nerves...

That's a mistake my parents only made once 😂
Can be hard to judge with kids. My two year old broke his arm and it took me over 24hrs to take him to hospital because he just kept on playing

This Thursday night he'll run out for game #100 in the Hoops, thought it'll only be game #99 in the long sleeves - does that mean the real milestone is still one match away?

Drafted as a rookie back in 2019, he made his debut on a wet night out west when we were on our Perth rotation during the covid interrupted season in 2020 - he came into the team to replace the Ablett who had returned home for family reasons

It didn't take long for Brad to become known for his long sleeves, so it likely came as something of a surprise when he ran out for our 2022 round 1 clash against Essendon, wearing the standard sleeveless guernsey like his teammates

For those who don't remember
View attachment 2098911

The venture into the short sleeves didn't last long as he was back into the long sleeves just 1 week later

Over his previous 99 games he's become an ever reliable member of our forward line - unassuming in his approach, but an accurate kick for goal and always good at hitting up teammates in a better position for their own shot on goal

He also added to the premiership tally for the #45 when he was part of the team on the big day in 2022, slotting a couple of goals of his own that day to go with a couple of goal assists, plus the decisive tap to the captain for his own memorable goal - an action that wouldn't have been recorded on the stats sheet, though it's importance won't be forgotten by Cats fans

View attachment 2098901

Congrats to Close on game #100

Edit - apparently he's played 2 games in the sleeveless guernsey, but I'm not counting the GC game in Darwin 😎
Combined margin of his two games with no sleeves is a 2 point win from two games both decided at quarter time

He picked us all the way through 22
So let’s not always think he’s putting us down
I'd have put him in a straight jacket in 22 if he didn't. We were clearly best team in it.

Watching the Rd9 game against Port where McEntee tagged Stewart. I’m staggered that a player can be punched, bumped blocked every 2-5 seconds 100 meters off the ball for 4 quarters and the only time a free kick is paid, it’s AGAINST Stewart for retaliating!
There are 4 umpires. I would expect if those tactics were employed again then 2 things should happen.
1: Geelong fly the flag and retaliate/block the tagger
2: Danger or Stewart alert the umpires to watch what’s happening waaaaay off the ball or the contest and actually allow Stewart to play footy.
Exactly! I said so at the time that it was a disgrace.
I am no big fan of tagging’ but acknowledge that it is part of our game but the stuff he was getting away with in that game was next level.
The AFL talks about cleaning up the game but no other sport would allow that sort of ‘off the ball’ harassment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is exactly the response he wanted. The puppeteer strikes again.
I'm not sure that's Kings M.O tbh.

He's more data driven, except with extreme examples that stand out (which Geelong have been front and centre of).

As annoying as he can be, I don't think he does what he does for outrage purposes. He'd just blatantly make shit up otherwise, like everyone else does.

I'm not sure that's Kings M.O tbh.

He's more data driven, except with extreme examples that stand out (which Geelong have been front and centre of).

As annoying as he can be, I don't think he does what he does for outrage purposes. He'd just blatantly make shit up otherwise, like everyone else does.
It's more his execution style. He flips from in love with a side to absolutely berating them on a whim and with overly dramatic statements. I think that aspect is played up a bit to bait emotional response.

He picked us all the way through 22
So let’s not always think he’s putting us down

After the match against West Coast, they did a 10 minute bit on the top four teams and King had nothing positive to say about the team.
He praised Scott but he was bewildered Geelong made the top four.

Not a single mention by many in the media about Stengle (42 goals), Holmes (550 metres gained), Dempsey (Rising star), Atkins (top 10 for all defensive pressure stats).

The biggest factor for me has been the resurgence of Jack Henry as our primary defender. His past 4 weeks in particular have been elite.
If anyone had champion data statistics, would love to know where he currently ranks of all the key defenders heading into the finals.
When he plays well, Kolo feeds of that and we look so much more settled.

Except for that period where he played and was 10x worse than Duncan this season.

At least we know Guthrie will put his body on the line when he plays. Duncan been great for us but he’s cooked now. He’s never been a hard nut but he’s borderline embarrassing himself these days the way he’s scared of contact.

Last edited:
If Cam Guthrie had a decent outing would you bring him in for our next game?

And who does he displace?

He'd need more than 1 VFL match

Besides, how often have we seen players have a good first up match when returning from a layoff, and things catch up with them on thy second match

At least we know Guthrie will put his body on the line when he plays. Duncan been great for us but he’s cooked now. He’s never been a hard nut but he’s borderline embarrassing himself these days the way he’s scared of contact.
We don't know that at all judging by Guthrie's timid and lethargic efforts in midfield mid season. Look at him when subbed off in the Gold Coast game. Absolutely mentally cooked.

Duncan at least has 4 games this season in the coaches votes and has plenty of 20 disposal games. A poor months form doesn't magically mean his season prior was poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back