Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be insanity to have a tall as the sub, better to have SDK start and a sub on the bench who is an onballer or a Rohan/Henry type.

If SDK is sub and Miers or Close got injured the team balance would be totally ****ed.

I wouldn’t pick SDK as sub. But I think you could easily make the argument he’s a more versatile option than Rohan or Henry.

Pretty strong talk around the traps that Geelong are expected to go with SDK in the ruck / Blicavs as back up, and leave Stanley out.

Mullin a big chance to play and run with JHF after the job he did in the previous match against Port. Bews to Rioli
The Ruck situation is real. I am not going to be shocked with SDK in and Stanley out.

Frankly I can’t see anyone else who comes out to put SDK in. Won’t be Bews (as you said he is Rioli person and/or sub). And won’t be 2E or Duncan (even though that it what I would do) as CS trusts them in big game. And then there is no one else to take out for team balance - it has to be a big guy…Stanley..

In terms of Mullin I haven’t heard that (not to say it isn’t true)…and I can’t see who they leave out to put him in (despite great game last time they played)

My team

B: Kolodjashnij, J.Henry, Bews
HB: Humphries, Blicavs, Z.Guthrie
C: Holmes, Bowes, Dempsey
HF: Mannagh, Neale, Miers
F: Stengle, Cameron, O.Henry
Foll: De Koning, Stewart, Dangerfield

Int: Atkins, Bruhn, Duncan, Close

Sub: Tuohy

My other option would be to drop Bews, start Tuohy in the 22 and then have Mullin as a wild card sub. Both are gambles in their own right. This line up would have 7 finals debutants and Port's forward line isn't the quickest, so experience in defence could be valuable (hence 2 of Blicavs, Tuohy and Bews spending significant time there).

De Koning as the agile "extra midfielder" in ruck who can get 20 disposals. Cameron to be a threat inside 50 and Stewart around sweeping stoppages are two things we need. Neale to work his butt off and bring the ball to deck (at least) for our dangerous half forwards, half backs and wing men. Mannagh or Miers as the extra outlet around stoppages.

The sub selection is going to be crucial both for strategy and insurance (against relapse injuries and counteraction). I could genuinely put a blanket over five realistic options but have no idea

My team

My other option would be to drop Bews, start Tuohy in the 22 and then have Mullin as a wild card sub. Both are gambles in their own right. This line up would have 7 finals debutants and Port's forward line isn't the quickest, so experience in defence could be valuable (hence 2 of Blicavs, Tuohy and Bews spending significant time there).

De Koning as the agile "extra midfielder" in ruck who can get 20 disposals. Cameron to be a threat inside 50 and Stewart around sweeping stoppages are two things we need. Neale to work his butt off and bring the ball to deck (at least) for our dangerous half forwards, half backs and wing men. Mannagh or Miers as the extra outlet around stoppages.
good, but Stanley instead of DeK this week at least for me.

What would you say his “major” deficiencies are?
An exaggeration of reality- he has some deficiencies; thanks for alerting. Marking. Positionality. Youth. Nowhere near the finished product.

Midweek tackle had SDK ranked 6th ruck in the comp (R15-19) and Stanley ranked 14th (R21-24)
Shhh.

Stanley's in great form. Just ignore that he was dominated by Marshall the game before last.

And SDK isn't a ruck. Sure he's 204cm and showed great signs as a ruck but he's not a ruck. Don't ask why. He just isn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My team

If I was picking a team I would have yours exactly. Actually I would take 2E out and add Mullin but I know MC wont do it so…

I think it might end up same but with Bews still as sub with 2E in 22

I thought it would be rough to drop Stanley given he has done ok…but as the game gets closer I think SDK in the ruck is becoming more likely. And they won’t move Blitz from defence (no coincidence that Henry and Kolo have been playing well since he went back)

If I was picking a team I would have yours exactly. Actually I would take 2E out and add Mullin but I know MC wont do it so…

I think it might end up same but with Bews still as sub with 2E in 22

I thought it would be rough to drop Stanley given he has done ok…but as the game gets closer I think SDK in the ruck is becoming more likely. And they won’t move Blitz from defence (no coincidence that Henry and Kolo have been playing well since he went back)

So Stanley was benched during the second quarter last we played them. Ostensibly for tactical reasons. Considering we were getting poleaxed you'd have to say (along with lack of performers) we got that balance wrong - either that or he was playing so shite our sub was worth a try. Or his health was affected.

Then ,with Mullin tagging, we improved heaps. We're adding in form talent, but what lessons did Scott file away? He's always on about horses for courses ( selection based on who we play etc) so maybe Stanley does miss. Who knows? Not long to finding out.

Scotty floating the idea that Guthrie could play this week...? Smoke and mirrors to mess with Port's planning? Or do we seriously expect Cam to return this game? 😬

Scotty floating the idea that Guthrie could play this week...? Smoke and mirrors to mess with Port's planning? Or do we seriously expect Cam to return this game? 😬

He’s talking about the VFL, categorically ruled out Hawk or Guth playing seniors this week.

I just hope the umpires are on the lookout for any off the ball shit from McEntee towards Stewart. They'll try it again without a doubt, because it limited Stewy's influence and because he got away with it all night.

I'm not holding my breath they will though.

So Stanley was benched during the second quarter last we played them. Ostensibly for tactical reasons. Considering we were getting poleaxed you'd have to say (along with lack of performers) we got that balance wrong - either that or he was playing so shite our sub was worth a try. Or his health was affected.

Then ,with Mullin tagging, we improved heaps. We're adding in form talent, but what lessons did Scott file away? He's always on about horses for courses ( selection based on who we play etc) so maybe Stanley does miss. Who knows? Not long to finding out.
Scott rightly seems excited that - first Port game to second Port game - our midfield mix could go from:

-Stanley (career worst form), Cam Guthrie (broken), Blicavs (failing as inside mid), Parfitt (limited), Clark (not ready) and Atkins (struggling)

to

-De Koning (mobile 20 disposal a game ruck), Dangerfield (beast mode), Stewart (point of difference), Bowes (good contributor), Bruhn (exciting potential when fit) and Atkins (in better form). Holmes and Mannagh as X factor options for quick bursts.

Something that has slipped under the radar is that from the Essendon game in round 16 (where we rejigged things), that second list of players in or supporting midfield, have done very well both in coaches votes and our Board MVP votes.

Shhh.

Stanley's in great form. Just ignore that he was dominated by Marshall the game before last.

And SDK isn't a ruck. Sure he's 204cm and showed great signs as a ruck but he's not a ruck. Don't ask why. He just isn't.

Don't see why it has to be one or the other. If you ask me, Stanley is in good form and SDK showed heaps of promise in the ruck earlier in the year. Personally I think we should play both, but it's just nice to have 2 viable ruck options heading into the finals.

Don't see why it has to be one or the other. If you ask me, Stanley is in good form and SDK showed heaps of promise in the ruck earlier in the year. Personally I think we should play both, but it's just nice to have 2 viable ruck options heading into the finals.
All well and good, but posts like these should also nominate who is to be dropped. Bews I'm guessing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back