Preview QF2 Geelong v Port Adelaide Thursday Sept 5 2024 @ AO 7:40 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But Bews is not small, he is an overly bulked up medium sized player at 286cm and at least 90kg and is no longer quick off the mark. Maybe they think his size is needed for Rioli. And not picking SDK means Kolo and JHenry need to play on talls. Hang on, Rioli is only 175cm.
We have our new ruckman

Still though, it's weird to have him travel to Adelaide post injury unnecessarily if he's not going to play.

Would've thought him resting up at home for a semi/prelim final return, or even playing a half in the VFL would've been better for him in that case.
It's a Thursday game... plenty of time before the next match (especially if we win).

He could genuinely be going purely as an EMG in case a tall back or Stanley has some issue before the match.

Certainly can't put it past CS pulling a late change... but how many of us thought SDK was going to play 4 quarters on Saturday? Probably zero.

Time will tell... Hopefully our next game after tomorrow's is a prelim.

But Bews is not small, he is an overly bulked up medium sized player at 286cm and at least 90kg and is no longer quick off the mark. Maybe they think his size is needed for Rioli. And not picking SDK means Kolo and JHenry need to play on talls. Hang on, Rioli is only 175cm.

If Bews is 286cm, can he help Stanley in the ruck 😉

Weird, don’t see how under any condition a fit SDK doesn’t play. Surely comes in late. Either way, we aren’t losing to a team that has Sav, Narkle and Francis Evans in their 23. Go cats
Doubt they would be in our top 30 if still on our list.

Hmmm no SDK, thats an interesting move with Dixon back, look small down there. I hope this isnt another “its raining lets not play a ruckman” kinda backfire
Blicavs is in defence now though.

Kolo to Sav
Henry to Georg
Blicavs to Dixon

Is how I'd go with this line up. Kolo and Blicavs a bit interchangeable. Blicavs doesn't have to wrestle Dixon, merely stay close enough to him to come in for a spoil/pressure.

Interesting that AFL wise, PORT give away the most free kicks. There must be some method in their madness, maybe the old "professional free"to allow them to set up for their controlled game. Def taking their lives in their hands trying that on in finals. Overconfident if they think they can harass Stewie off the ball like last time. Just try it, you turnips.

Have a look at what I spoke about earlier, you may be onto something about professional frees and "controlled gameplay"

Also noted by Champion Data this interesting stat i thought was applicable

The stat measures games where games consists of more ground balls than uncontested marks or vice-versa
More uncontested marks than ground balls equals a "control based game", the opposite is a "chaotic based game"

During the Home and Away season, 50% of games are played in "control based game"
During the Home and Away season, 49% of games are played in "chaotic based game"
During the Home and Away season, 1% of games are a 50/50 "control/chaos game"

Of all Finals played since stats were recorded for it, 80% of the time they are played in a "chaotic style game"

Geelong is the number 1 team in the comp to play a "chaotic style game"
Port Adelaide is one of the lowest teams in the League to play "chaotic style games"
Majority of Cats wins are chaos style games, Port with control based games.

Geelong of 2019-2021 were number 1 in control based games, completely flipped from 2022 onward.

What has our Finals results been like since the flip?
3-0 Win/Loss record

Port are literally just us from 2019-2021.

I think Bews has him covered athletically , but Rioli is crafty so Bews will need to stay close and not fall for his feints/fakes - study the tape Jed !!

Just here to make another Bews 286cm joke.

Hinkley: "We're gonna need a bigger Rioli"

The good thing is that Ratugolea and Dixon are the weakest links in this port team. Dixon hardly ever contributes and Ratugolea is similar. Both of them are easy to worry out of contests. Those 2 players give me confidence that Geelong can win. As long as we don't get absolutely smashed by Port's midfield we will be in with a chance.

The loss of Powel Pepper, Houston and Farrell really exposes ther lack of depth. Thier top end is better than ours but I think we are in front for the bottom half of both teams. It really gives us a good chance.

Them naming Sav and Dixon up front fills me with optimism. I think Bews starts and goes to Rioli. He is in the team for this reason. I don't see Jed being chosen as our sub.

I don't think SDK comes in. Maybe if Marshall was named. But they went for the extra run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

286cm?!?

THIS ENORMOUS JED BEWS WILL DEVOUR US ALL!

View attachment 2100583
simpsons-tall-man-small-car.gif

Maybe Bews goes straight to Dixon.

I'm actually really pleased for Bews- written off but knows how to work like a trouper. Meets targets we know nothing about. Plus hugely motivated so he doesn't get subbed, and proved a great back up considering SDK looks like he hasn't come up. Go well Jedi, just keep the OBF's to zilch.

Bews has certainly come from nowhere to be playing this final. The likes of O’Connor, Mullin and Humphries were to picked ahead of him early to mid season. Was beaten by Rachelle in the Adelaide game, but here we are. With Tuohy needed as a wing, I assume Bews is sub.

SDK as an emergency is a head scratcher. If is fit, surely he plays, but then why play him full game in the VFL on Saturday?
SDK will come in next week if we play the Dogs with their twin towers + 1. If Hawthorn beat the Dogs then SDK would not be required in the backline but could replace Stanley in the ruck.

I will weep with joy if Jed sends one last shank 30 rows into the crowd.

But seriously, what an opportunity for someone who probably thought he wouldn't play an AFL final again. Yes, he struggled on Rachele but I think Rioli is a better match up for him
Don't tell Pure_Ownage Bews is named.

There's still a chance of a late out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back