Queensland now an AFL State

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would I do that if I thought Ablett was the best player I'd seen this decade?

Yeah but no Ablett on the list. Maybe next decade.
However, you still have a choice of 2 AFL Legends produced thanks to the Queensland Australian Football system.

However, you still have a choice of 2 AFL Legends produced thanks to the Queensland Australian Football system.

and the best player ever was Wayne Carey from NSW, are you gonna claim NSW is an AFL state now?
all it shows is that most of australia's sporting talent comes from north of the murray. A well known fact to anyone who follows relatively even spread national sports like cricket or soccer

and the best player ever was Wayne Carey from NSW, are you gonna claim NSW is an AFL state now?
all it shows is that most of australia's sporting talent comes from north of the murray. A well known fact to anyone who follows relatively even spread national sports like cricket or soccer

Which brings me to a good conclusion to the whole point of this thread.
Really, there is no such thing as an "AFL State"...AFL has teams in all states, and countless thousands of fans and supporters in every corner of the land, all the States...and Australian Football is played everywhere.
AFL is most popular in Victoria and least popular in NSW, but the popularity of AFL flourishes north-south-east-west to various degrees.
It's time for the media and people to stop with this NRL State V AFL State non sense.
The old Barrasi Line paradigm is long over.

The AFL isn't trying to convert League or Union fans. They're aiming to get a small percentage of the hundreds of thousands of people in Western Sydney who don't follow a sport currently interested in the game. Is that okay with you league fans? Just as a general question.

You think the unwashed from the Western parts of Sydney haven't seen any sport before? :D

Well, yea I guess, but still neither would be my choice as player of the decade.

Who said that? I didn't.

Hmmm, I'll rephrase it for you.

Do you think the great unwashed from the West of Sydney haven't seen AFL before and this new team will inspire them to become fans?

The west of Sydney gets exactly the same TV stations as the East does, what's going to change the mentality of these non sports fans and attract them to this new Franchise?

Hmmm, I'll rephrase it for you.

Do you think the great unwashed from the West of Sydney haven't seen AFL before and this new team will inspire them to become fans?

The west of Sydney gets exactly the same TV stations as the East does, what's going to change the mentality of these non sports fans and attract them to this new Franchise?
They may have seen it, they may not have. The current team in Sydney is based entirely in the Eastern Suburbs. This team will be based in Blacktown and represent the Westen areas of Sydney. Having another team based there in a national competition could be incentive enough for people to check it out.

Given that the catchment area of the team has a population of over 1.5 million, only about 1% of people in the area would need to be curious to give the club a semi-decent start up base

They may have seen it, they may not have. The current team in Sydney is based entirely in the Eastern Suburbs. This team will be based in Blacktown and represent the Westen areas of Sydney. Having another team based there in a national competition could be incentive enough for people to check it out.

Given that the catchment area of the team has a population of over 1.5 million, only about 1% of people in the area would need to be curious to give the club a semi-decent start up base

That's all true, but I can't understand why someone would start following a sport that they have seen on TV for years just because it has west in its name, the Swans represent the whole of Sydney don't they, so if they were going to follow AFL, they'd be already following the swans wouldn't they?

It's not like the Swans are called the eastern Suburbs Swans or the Bondi Swans, Manly Swans or whatever, they are called the Sydney Swans.

the Swans represent the whole of Sydney don't they, so if they were going to follow AFL, they'd be already following the swans wouldn't they?

Not necessarily. If a friend of theirs follows Sydney they may support West Sydney simply to have something to compete against them with. In this day and age where people rarely involve themselves in real contests it gives them a way to do it without the negatives.

This is just a minor example as well but i was up in airlie beach for the Grand Final this year and the town was buzzing with support and excitement for both teams. In one of the local pubs towards i went to watch the game it was packed and towards the end you couldn't hear your own voice. Not to say a week later the League Grand Final didn't have the same atmosphere and build up, if not more. But for Queensland to become and AFL State, this doesn't necessarily mean it has to gain the majority of support. And let me remind you that Airlie beach is a fair way up the QLD coast, so inroads are definitely being made into Northern Queensland (the heart of League footy).

The AFL isn't trying to convert League or Union fans. They're aiming to get a small percentage of the hundreds of thousands of people in Western Sydney who don't follow a sport currently interested in the game. Is that okay with you league fans? Just as a general question.

But if any AFL player even slightly admits that he once played rugby league in a previous life then he should be censored immediately.

Does anyone here beieve that Andrew McLeod has done damage to our code by admitting that rugby league is his favourite sport outside footy?

That's all true, but I can't understand why someone would start following a sport that they have seen on TV for years just because it has west in its name, the Swans represent the whole of Sydney don't they, so if they were going to follow AFL, they'd be already following the swans wouldn't they?

It's not like the Swans are called the eastern Suburbs Swans or the Bondi Swans, Manly Swans or whatever, they are called the Sydney Swans.

Your fears are really coming through, lets have another look at what happens to GWS and then comment again in a year or 2 and then 5 after that, who knows what will happen, RL will still be king in WS.

Aussie rules does not need one fan to cross over from RL to be a success, there's plenty of people in GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is just a minor example as well but i was up in airlie beach for the Grand Final this year and the town was buzzing with support and excitement for both teams. In one of the local pubs towards i went to watch the game it was packed and towards the end you couldn't hear your own voice. Not to say a week later the League Grand Final didn't have the same atmosphere and build up, if not more. But for Queensland to become and AFL State, this doesn't necessarily mean it has to gain the majority of support. And let me remind you that Airlie beach is a fair way up the QLD coast, so inroads are definitely being made into Northern Queensland (the heart of League footy).

I personally wouldnt say NQ is the heart of league Footy.Any where west of and including Toowomba would cover that IMO.

Both Cairns and townsville both have AFL standard football stadiums and the more exposure the AFL put into it(NAB games etc) the faster it will grow.Unfortunaltly there was a Cyclone this year near cairns so the NAB game was poorly attended

Im surprised that a AFL team hasnt tried to move a game to Townsville yet.Seeing the raging success of the V8 supercars this year will probably change that very soon.It simply is too big a market to ignore

But if any AFL player even slightly admits that he once played rugby league in a previous life then he should be censored immediately.

Does anyone here beieve that Andrew McLeod has done damage to our code by admitting that rugby league is his favourite sport outside footy?
And rugby league fans are accused of being insular?

FMD

Jason Akermanis is a fan of League. Do you think any less of him now?

No, I dont think there is any issue with him having a fondness of league.
Mixed netball maybe, mens softball perhaps, then there is ten pin bowling now that is a bit naughty.
But if he said line dancing, FOOKEN HANG'IM HIGH.
Geez, where is that sunscreen my necks a bit burnt.
Do you have any Fitzy:confused:

Your fears are really coming through.

No Phil, I was having a conversation with a human being called shotties and it was going quite well until you showed up.

lets have another look at what happens to GWS and then comment again in a year or 2 and then 5 after that, who knows what will happen, RL will still be king in WS.

Aussie rules does not need one fan to cross over from RL to be a success, there's plenty of people in GWS.

Well your track record for being biased, parochial, hypocritical and delusional is all here for everyone to see (those who actually want to see). If your for it, it's bound to suffer!

All those thugby comments and doing your absolute best to turn anyone away from the game over the years shows your mentality.

WS AFL club, it'll survive if it doesn't have arrogant tossers like you running it.

You know what I mean Phil, the AFL is the greatest thing since sliced bread, IN A LEAGUE OF ITS OWN, the code that made Australia blah blah blah, all guns a blazing.

That will not help the WS AFL team one iota.

Fitzcray said:

lol, flip.

In theory yes, but you live here, you know Sydney is as parochial as you can get. Someone from the Inner West would loathe to be refered to as a Shire Bogan and no one can shut the Norfern beaches up about whatever it is that's so great up there.

What's in a name, though? The St George and Sutherland Shire had a team called St. George, but Cronulla still got supporters despite being in the shire. People will divide themselves along the most trivial of lines and most people in the Far West don't follow the Swans or have any affiliation to the AFL. Hell, there are a shedload that don't even have any affiliation to a sport. That's the target audience.

You're taking the piss surely? No one could possibly be that insecure and still manage to function in society.

It's that sort of attitude that does no favours for the push into League territory. If we want to make real headway up north we should be aiming to be the 2nd favourite sport of every League fan - not telling them they can only support one or the other. Because if you market it as 'us against them' it's obvious which they will choose and which they will see as the enemy.

It's that sort of attitude that does no favours for the push into League territory. If we want to make real headway up north we should be aiming to be the 2nd favourite sport of every League fan - not telling them they can only support one or the other. Because if you market it as 'us against them' it's obvious which they will choose and which they will see as the enemy.

The Game is not the problem. Its the association of the game as 'Victorian'. As I've said before, the AFL act as an extension of the old VFL. Selfish, Vic-centric. More inclined to protect their own Melbourne suburban clubs. Non Vics can see this, its that obvious. So forget the Australian rules versus northern anything. Its the VFL attitude thats the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back