Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2011
GWS
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
BOS:Celtics/Patriots/Bruins/Red Sox
The time has come for the AFL debut of the GWS GIANTS!

Round 1
GWS GIANTS vs Sydney Swans
ANZ Stadium, Homebush
7:20pm, Sat 24 March 2012

TV: live into Sydney on Fox Footy and 7mate from 6:30pm (other areas see here)

Curtain raiser: NEAFL UWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, 3:50pm

Teams:

GWS Giants
B: Tomas Bugg, Phil Davis, Adam Kennedy
HB: Jack Hombsch, Tim Mohr, Will Hoskin-Elliot
C: Rhys Palmer, Callan Ward, Chad Cornes
HF: Nathan Wilson, Israel Folau, Stephen Coniglio
F: Curtly Hampton, Jeremy Cameron, Devon Smith
Foll: Jonathan Giles, Dylan Shiel, James McDonald

I/C: Jacob Townsend, Toby Greene, Adam Tomlinson, Dom Tyson
Emg: Steve Clifton, Sam Reid, Tom Downie

Sydney Swans
B: Nicholas Smith, Heath Grundy, Martin Mattner
HB: Andrejs Everitt, Ted Richards, Alex Johnson
C: Nick Malceski, Kieren Jack, Craig Bird
HF: Jarrad McVeigh, Adam Goodes, Luke Parker
F: Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Sam Reid, Ben McGlynn
Foll: Shane Mumford, Jude Bolton, Josh P Kennedy

I/C: Daniel Hannebery, Gary Rohan, Lewis Jetta, Harry Cunningham
Emg: Mark Seaby, Nathan Gordon, Mitch Morton

Despite the build-up and NAB Cup as a fully-fledged AFL club, to me it still feels a bit surreal that we've got a team in Western Sydney. I'm not expecting miracles from the Giants, but they've shown throughout the pre-season that they'll give 100% effort from siren to siren and we should all expect that in the first Sydney Derby. No doubt the Swans will be keen to assert themselves as the top side in Sydney.

It promises to be a huge night for footy in Sydney.

The time has come for the AFL debut of the GWS GIANTS!

Round 1
GWS GIANTS vs Sydney Swans
ANZ Stadium, Homebush
7:20pm, Sat 24 March 2012

TV: TBA, should be live on FTA and/or Fox Footy

Curtain raiser: NEAFL UWS Giants vs Sydney Swans, 3:50pm

Teams: to be announced Thursday

Despite the build-up and NAB Cup as a fully-fledged AFL club, to me it still feels a bit surreal that we've got a team in Western Sydney. I'm not expecting miracles from the Giants, but they've shown throughout the pre-season that they'll give 100% effort from siren to siren and we should all expect that in the first Sydney Derby. No doubt the Swans will be keen to assert themselves as the top side in Sydney.

It promoses to be a huge night for footy in Sydney.

Can Giants fans post their thoughts on the line up for rnd 1 please.

Can Giants fans post their thoughts on the line up for rnd 1 please.

There is a supercoach thread :)

Anyway, I would think with the way the squads have been rotated during the pre season, formulating a possible line up for round 1 would nearly be impossible.

So many variations, so many permutations

Given known current form and injuries possibly something like this:

B: Tomas Bugg Tim Mohr Devon Smith
HB: Adam Kennedy Phil Davis Sam Reid
C: Dom Tyson Steve Clifton Stephen Coniglio
HF: Will Hoskin-Elliot Chad Cornes Jeremy Cameron
F: Rhys Palmer Israel Folau Curtly Hampton
Fol: Jonathan Giles Tom Scully Callan Ward
Res: James McDonald Josh Bruce Toby Greene Liam Sumner (E )
Folau will have to Ruck sometime for team balance.

round 1 line up imo, what do u guys think?

FB: T.Bugg P.Davis T.Mohr
HB: A.Kennedy C.Cornes W.Hoskin-Elliot
C: C.Ward J.McDonald R.Palmer
HF: D.Tyson J.Cameron N.Wilson
FF: D.Smith I.Folau C.Hampton
Ruck: J.Giles S.Coniglio S.Clifton
Int: D.Shiel S.Darley S.Reid
Sub: J.Townsend
Emg: A.Tomlinson A.Miles J.Bruce

Is there a match report from the UWS Giants match on Saturday? I believe they were the curtain raiser for Giants vs Tigers

Wondering if there was any stand out performers from that match that may be a smoky for Rd 1, seeing that there will be one maybe 2 spots available given that Scully will be missing and Folau could be depending on the Match Review Panel.

Is there a match report from the UWS Giants match on Saturday? I believe they were the curtain raiser for Giants vs Tigers

Wondering if there was any stand out performers from that match that may be a smoky for Rd 1, seeing that there will be one maybe 2 spots available given that Scully will be missing and Folau could be depending on the Match Review Panel.
Unfortunately nothing yet, hopefully we might see something from the Giants or ACT early this week.

I think Shiel is definitely one who could step into the side, he'd have been expected in the side from the start and only returned from appendicitis over the weekend for UWS.

Did anyone see what Folau got reported for? What chance is he to play r1?
A few posters who were there have said that there didn't appear to be anything in it except perhaps for some over-zealous umpiring for incidents worthy of free kicks (of which one was paid); at this stage I'm pretty confident that he'll be playing.

Can't imagine Israel being rubbed out. It would be a huge public relations blow in advance of the Sydney clash - especially now that Scully is missing. There were some passages of play against Richmond that were very impressive; they just have to get the experience under their belt to be able to do this for a whole game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An article on the AFL website regarding Shiels first game back from injury.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130918/default.aspx

GUN GREATER Western Sydney youngster Dylan Shiel returned to the reserves side after a long lay-off on Saturday and is an outside chance to play in round one next week.
"He played 75 per cent game time today which is about what we wanted and good preparation for him and whether he gets a chance next week, that'll be up to us after a week of training."

So I'm heading up from Canberra for my first game at ANZ. I'm staying at the Ibis nearby overnight, Sunday the missus and I are heading to the Powerhouse museum for the Harry Potter exhibit (that was the cost to take the missus along!).

What is parking like at the venue and are there any good pubs for a meetup nearby, keen for a GWS board first game fire-up!

Chrono if you want to park at the venue during the game, you have to pre-book a spot. I'm not sure how it works if you're staying at the hotel I assume they must have a spot for their guests? There's one main pub near the hotel although many people are underwhelmed with the beers they serve overr there.

The Swans side is pretty settled. Rohan is the only injury concern and we'll know the results of his scan today. Hannebery ran out the pre-season game against the Suns well but will still lack match fitness and most likely start as the sub. I expect us to line up like this:

B: Smith Richards Johnson
HB: Shaw Grundy Mattner
C: Jetta Goodes McGlynn
HF: Bolton Reid McVeigh
F: Everitt Roberts-Thomson Rohan
Foll: Mumford Kennedy Jack
Int: Parker Bird Malceski (Hannebery)
Emg: Pyke Morton Cunningham

Sam Darley not a rated a chance to line up this weekend?

I thought he'd slot right in to the 22.
I think he'll be thereabouts, came in as a second half sub against Richmond and will likely be on the cusp of the 22 if not in it. There could be some shuffling for round 1 with Scully out and question marks over Hoskin-Elliot and Folau.

As I posted in the 'Folau reported twice' thread and reported by @AFL, Folau has been cleared and will be free to line up on Saturday.

Yet another trophy for a home and away game: the Giants and Swans will play for the White Ribbon trophy. Good cause, but I really am not a fan of these kinds of trophies...

Well I'm for these events trying to bring focus onto a worthy cause. Stopping violence against women is definitely one of those so I don't mind it.

I think he'll be thereabouts, came in as a second half sub against Richmond and will likely be on the cusp of the 22 if not in it. There could be some shuffling for round 1 with Scully out and question marks over Hoskin-Elliot and Folau.

Hoskin-Elliot will be a big out (though hopefully not). Very impressed with his game against Richmond: found plenty of space and he has a great leap finishing with the ball in his hands more often than not.

I have tickets for the Sydney game. One of quite a few Canberra GWS supporters I hope.:)

Can I ask what is going on with Brogan? Is he still expecting to play this year or has he been relegated to a coach only?
He didn't appear in the NAB Cup at all but there was then an article last week saying that he, O'hAilpin and Power (which we knew) would miss round one. Brogan was listed in that article as having a back/hamstring injury, and there's been no timetable except that he'd miss round one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back