Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

You don't get it, you're not very smart, that's your issue.

With their full list those teams are very good. Something you can't calculate.

Essendon and Suns nearly beat GWS this year, despite missing the majority of their key players. Where does GWS rank now on everyone's model? Just took you a while... you're a little slow, ey.
I still don't see how using the "full list" is a useful way for the power rankings, particularly with long term injuries that aren't coming back that year.

Edit please don't reply in this thread but in the PR thread if you are going to reply thanks.

I still don't see how using the "full list" is a useful way for the power rankings, particularly with long term injuries that aren't coming back that year.

Edit please don't reply in this thread but in the PR thread if you are going to reply thanks.

What, you mean it's unlikely that 2 teams will play each other with their full squads available in a game where there is no home ground advantage for either team and no umpiring bias in any decisions (as determined by the completely unbiased and part-time umpiring coach Roby). I am shocked that scenario is unlikely to occur. Completely and utterly shocked! :eek:o_O:drunk:

I will be quite happy if GWS win because nobody supports them, especially outside NSW. So none of my friends or family will be happy their team won. Watch for randoms at work though that don't follow the sport say i support GWS

I've posted this a few times in here already, but it's definitely a flaw. It's just a statistical anomaly, there's no solid reasoning behind it.
The reason is obvious for finals. Autocorrelation. Teams that finish up higher on the ladder are typically better than those below.

The reason is obvious for finals. Autocorrelation. Teams that finish up higher on the ladder are typically better than those below.
Unless I read it wrong - doesn't it also apply in home and away games where Geelong is the nominal home team yet playing at the oppositions home ground? Eg hosting hawthorn at the G in round 1? In which case there'd be no ladder advantage

Unless I read it wrong - doesn't it also apply in home and away games where Geelong is the nominal home team yet playing at the oppositions home ground? Eg hosting hawthorn at the G in round 1? In which case there'd be no ladder advantage
It does but squigle isn't a bookie buster in accuracy. Maybe the home change rooms are that much better :)

Vector time.

My mapping of vectors running from the runner up to the premier over a few decades. (After the grand final)
image.png

Suggests that in GWS position, may not fear much from hawthorn geelong or bulldogs---- only hawthorn beating geelong in 2008 is in that sector. But NW or SE aligned wins such as between GWS sydneys and arelaides current location

Why not...

View attachment 287697

Two - almost three - upsets in the first week of finals! Perhaps the end of season bye was to blame?

Thursday night the Dogs seemingly threw all they had at the Eagles and crushed them. West Coasts irresistible end of season form disappeared over the bye round while the Bulldogs were able to regain some energy and injured players to turn around some average late season form. Big positive movement for the Doggies this week and they'll likely need to carry that momentum forward if they want to win against what will be an angry Hawthorn side...

Friday night almost delivered another upset with a set shot after the siren by Hawk Isaac Smith to decide the game. Unfortunately for Hawthorn luck was not on their side this time so they'll return to the MCG this Friday night to battle the Doggies for a Preliminary Final spot. Geelong will enjoy another week off now but will this second break in as many weeks be too much time without playing by the time they play their Preliminary Final? Time will tell. Despite the loss there was positive movement for the Hawks this week as they got closer to Geelong than the Squiggle predicted. Likewise the Cats move down a little, but somehow I doubt they'll mind.

Saturday afternoon saw the other upset result with GWS jumping the Swans. GWS move deeper into premiership territory this week and while the Swans head down and to the left they are now sitting just about where they were when they won the 2012 premiership. With GWS set to play a home Preliminary Final against either an injury riddled Bulldogs or their ageing bunnies Hawthorn a spot in the Grand Final seems all but certain. The Swans will bounce back from their loss quickly but will face stiff opposition in the form of...

Adelaide. Despite having to wait an extra week due to the bye they still bounced back hard from their round 23 loss to West Coast to belt North Melbourne. They enjoyed some positive movement with their squiggle heading up, but a failure to keep North Melbourne to a lower score means they also move to the left away from the premiership zone. They likely have the hardest route to the flag of any of the teams remaining with a Semi Final this week against Sydney at the SCG, followed by a Preliminary Final against Geelong at the MCG, and then finally a Grand Final at the MCG against either a rampaging GWS or a Melbourne based side.

View attachment 287711

If things stay as they are the Squiggle predicts GWS will win their first of the next 7 flags. Though initially this might not seem like such a bad thing with many football fans probably happy as long as it's not Hawthorn, Sydney or Geelong winning another.

GWS' travel this season in squiggle is pretty much unprecedented

GWS' travel this season in squiggle is pretty much unprecedented
Not sure about that:

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 10.55.57 AM.png

The Brisbane Lions 1999 season was amazing, at its best arguably better than anything they produced in their premiership years.

Unfortunately for them Voss got injured in finals and they bowed out at the prelim stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about that:

View attachment 289130

The Brisbane Lions 1999 season was amazing, at its best arguably better than anything they produced in their premiership years.

Unfortunately for them Voss got injured in finals and they bowed out at the prelim stage.

They won the spoon in 98?

Vector time.

My mapping of vectors running from the runner up to the premier over a few decades. (After the grand final)
View attachment 288618

Suggests that in GWS position, may not fear much from hawthorn geelong or bulldogs---- only hawthorn beating geelong in 2008 is in that sector. But NW or SE aligned wins such as between GWS sydneys and arelaides current location
Does that essentially mean GWS are in the box seat?

Has the squiggle gone a bit crazy? Forecast says Adelaide vs GWS this week?

It's listing results based on forecast based on how it thought the entired finals would play out I belief. The tipping shows a different story though:

Sydney.png
Sydney 97 - 74 Adelaide
Adelaide.png

S.C.G. (NSW)

Hawthorn.png
Hawthorn 82 - 72 Western Bulldogs
Western%20Bulldogs.png

M.C.G. (VIC)

Based on that I'm nervous.

It's listing results based on forecast based on how it thought the entired finals would play out I belief. The tipping shows a different story though:

Sydney.png
Sydney 97 - 74 Adelaide
Adelaide.png

S.C.G. (NSW)

Hawthorn.png
Hawthorn 82 - 72 Western Bulldogs
Western%20Bulldogs.png

M.C.G. (VIC)

Based on that I'm nervous.
Based on this I am now confident :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines