Racism and thuggish behaviour at Geel v GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the Suns board now some of the cheer squad members who flew down have revealed some startling incidents of what happened at Geelong v GC on Saturday. Here are the quoted posts.

Photo of the guy who yelled the racist remarks.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1370215240-370768-jpg.19993
LOL hes fat.....Lose some weight fatty

I will tell you what occured. The man in the picture loudly racially vilified one of the Gold Coast SUNS players. The comments made from him were deep enough to upset people within earshot of him who come from a similar heritage.

Are you happy now? When you hear of rapes and murders on the news do you whinge and sook to the reporters for not telling you how many times the suspect thrust inside her before they slit her throat and bathed in her blood?

The details don't really matter!

Maybe they do because for a rape or murder there's usually a trial to determine guilt, during this trial there is usually evidence, not just someone saying it was done.
Don't be upset by people wanting details.

i am sure chris scott would not feel safe bringing his kids to this abhorrent ground!

Why do you think it's such an effective home ground advantage? It is a hostile environment to opposition supporters and players alike. It's a throwback to the old days of suburban VFL grounds with beer cans and abuse being launched over the fence.

I will tell you what occured. The man in the picture loudly racially vilified one of the Gold Coast SUNS players. The comments made from him were deep enough to upset people within earshot of him who come from a similar heritage.

Are you happy now? When you hear of rapes and murders on the news do you whinge and sook to the reporters for not telling you how many times the suspect thrust inside her before they slit her throat and bathed in her blood?

The details don't really matter!

Racist abuse isn't quite so straight forward. Check out the threads on BF. There was differing opinions on whether the girl calling Goodes 'a big ape' was racist. Or whether the bloke shouting 'Give it to Jetta because he's black. It's Indigenous Round, umpire' was being racist. Is shouting at Tadhg Kennelly 'go back to Ireland, you clown' racist? The details do matter.

Racist abuse isn't quite so straight forward. Check out the threads on BF. There was differing opinions on whether the girl calling Goodes 'a big ape' was racist. Or whether the bloke shouting 'Give it to Jetta because he's black. It's Indigenous Round, umpire' was being racist. Is shouting at Tadhg Kennelly 'go back to Ireland, you clown' racist? The details do matter.

Any person with half a brain knows that the comment about Goodes, and the comments about Jetta were clearly racist. Irish isn't a race.

Why do you think it's such an effective home ground advantage? It is a hostile environment to opposition supporters and players alike. It's a throwback to the old days of suburban VFL grounds with beer cans and abuse being launched over the fence.

That's not quite true. Though I enjoy and think it should be hostile for opposition teams, their fans should feel comfortable at the game - not having to worry about abuse or physical intimidation. I take neutral or opposition supporting friends down quite regularly and we stand in the Ablett Terrace where you'd typically expect mostly ferals - I've never seen a fight or can thrown there in all my years. Banter of varying degrees of wit, yes, but never the kind of tension or obscenities (which I don't mind) that I see/hear at the 'G on a weekly basis.

I'm glad the club is doing their due dilligence in trying to find this guy. If he did make racist comments and there are people who can verify it, then strip him of his seat and give it to someone else. I'm by no means any kind of Morality Policeman or member of the so-called "PC Brigade" but nobody has the right to sling racist comments around in public and the sooner they learn that, the better.

It's far from hostile I'm afraid. In my experience, they are a fairly quiet bunch (depends a bit where you are sitting) and just happy to be at the footy. It has certainly changed over the years with our evolving focus on racism and abuse as a society, and as we all become more aware of these issues, I would say it will get stamped out almost completely in the not too distant future. The same can be said for every ground in Australia.

I was there on Saturday night in the standing room section and can tell you honestly that I did not hear a single word uttered about racism or any abuse of any player or person. I was quite surprised at the lack of atmosphere up there to be honest. I guess it comes with playing mostly interstate sides down there, as it does seem to be a bit more vocal where there is a Melbourne team in town with some of their supporters (even then, we don't let many in, so it's still a bit on the quiet side for my liking).

I am sorry to hear that someone had a bad experience down there and hopefully it can sorted out satisfactorily for all parties and doesn't leave too bad of a taste in their mouths. I like a bit of a hostile environment tbh but not to the detriment of somebodies enjoyment of the game, no matter who they barrack for.

Any person with half a brain knows that the comment about Goodes, and the comments about Jetta were clearly racist. Irish isn't a race.

You have formed an opinion based on some information. Other people with the same information would disagree with you. But all we have here is a general accusation of racism without the information.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where is Harry O with his tweet? Surely not far away.
As long as he's not interviewed on AFL 360 again. He just went on and on and on. Maybe it was a ploy to keep Eddie out of the limelight?

Back on OP topic. If what was said and done is true, and I don't doubt the OP, then let's hope the club deals with it appropriately. But do we need it turned into a federal case?

You have formed an opinion based on some information. Other people with the same information would disagree with you. But all we have here is a general accusation of racism without the information.

I didn't make any comment about what we have here, and Irish not being a race is fact. In my opinion, anyone who doesn't think that the comments about Goodes and Jetta were racist has less than half a brain. Better?

It should be passed on to the relevant authorities, not publicly broadcast as some sort of online vigilantism.

Agreed that the bloke's picture should be removed. However quite happy for the issue itself to be brought up in a public forum.

Edit: which sensibly has now happened

I would suggest this thread be removed because of its libelous nature. The person pictured has almost no recourse to challenge the accusations made.

Someone obviously hasn't got the memo.

All "racists" are worse than Hitler, and assumed guilty until proven innocent. Anyone accused of racism also immediately forfeits all rights to fair treatment and privacy, and can be publicly shamed without recourse.*

* This policy also applies to minors.

Pretty pathetic Suns supporters make the trip down to Geelong to support their team and have some Cat people yell Idiotic remarks to their team/team mates, i wouldn't accept it either, if this keeps happening and no one does anything about it i doubt anyone else from the Suns or another team would want to goto an ignorant ghost town to watch the football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back