Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Memories of your coldest North games ?

. Byron Pickett / Brendan Krummel / Carey 7 goals night game Waverly.
. Princes Park Jeff Hogg missed goal win.
. MCG game v Dees iirc. Still, foggy afternoon game where top temp of the day was 6dg C.
. Kardinia Park Cyclone game where we all went home via Melton !
. Windswept days at Whitten Oval - 1963 until closure 🤣

That game v the Swans at Arden St early to mid 80’s with sleet and hail and all supporters standing huddled together under the various shed roofs. It was around 6C as a high with a feels like temp in the negatives. Jesus that was freezing!

We had a day game against Richmond at the MCG a few years ago - before they regrettably got good - where it was cold and so foggy you could hardly see across the ground.
1978 against South out at Waverley, I decided to try out my new binoculars but the little little fingers started to jam up and in the end it was a wasted exercise. Fortunately we won, but that was the end of that experiment.

In light of LDU’s recent run of form & heading into his 100th game, who do you guys both think is North’s best player of say, the last 30 years, to not win a Best & Fairest for us.
Probably Petrie or Archer.

300 games and no BnF.

In light of LDU’s recent run of form & heading into his 100th game, who do you guys both think is North’s best player of say, the last 30 years, to not win a Best & Fairest for us.

Glenn Archer
Jack Ziebell
Corey McKernan

Down in Geelong. 2001.
Absolutely poured.
I was about 16 years old & I remember my hands were so cold I couldn’t even get the zipper on my wallet open to get the change out to buy a hot jam donut.
I remember when lining up for the donuts I was directly behind Dougie Hawkins. I believe he was on boundary rider commentary duties. Looked a lot warmer than me.
We won.
Carey kicked a great goal from (what felt like) about 70m out & it dribbled through the wet grass for the last 40 odd metres.
Cold, but great memories.
A mate & I were visiting Melbourne for the weekend & we’d also been to Pies Vs Tigers at the MCG & then seen the Dogs beat the eventual premiers, Brisbane, in the Docklands.

. MCG game v Dees iirc. Still, foggy afternoon game where top temp of the day was 6dg C.

Somewhere between 2010-2013 I went to a Hawks vs North game at York Park - and it was absolutely ****ing freezing, even for Tasmanian standards.

Our one goal game vs Geelong at GMHBA in 2019, is the coldest game I've been to.
Rain held off during the game but it poured all night after getting back to the motel.

Snowed all over the Ballarat region and was still a few centimetres on Buninyong and Warrenheip, when I got back about lunchtime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont go to many games these days living interstate, can you still get the player pins at the ground? I wouldnt mind getting a Sheezel & Wardlaw pin for my kids, and a Teakle pin for me.

I dont go to many games these days living interstate, can you still get the player pins at the ground? I wouldnt mind getting a Sheezel & Wardlaw pin for my kids, and a Teakle pin for me.

A bit late - but yes

Didn’t want to make a thread about this specifically so here will do.

I attended a funeral today with Mrs Toes. The funeral was for a neighbour of ours who I’ve known since he was born and who I’d chat footy and soccer with at least three or four times per week. I’d see him everyday as he passed by enroute to the gym, work or training and we’d give each other a wave.

He barracked for North and Melb Victory (as I do) and he’d keep an eye on the Storm.

We’d talk all things North though mostly and I loved his calm thinking, no matter how pox we were looking.

Over all of the years not once had I mentioned BigFooty until a year or so ago he raised it. “How long have you been on BF?” He asked. “WTF, how the hell would you know I’m on there?”

“I’ve known for ages. I figured it out a couple of years ago. Probably during covid. Not sure, but something you posted about rang a bell so I kept an eye on your posts and I really didn’t need your acknowledgement but you have just confirmed that I was right. I knew I was all along”.

I asked if he posted here and what his username was.

“No, never posted, but read it daily and have for over a decade” he said.

He was a shy, quietly spoken very intelligent young bloke. Had a high 90’s ATAR and won an award as dux of economics. He was a maths genius.

Post uni he worked with Pointsbet for five years and was the bloke who designed and ran their odds making systems. He left that and was studying Medicine until his cruel and untimely death.

You would’ve seen it on the news. The Burwood car crash victim on his way to soccer training two Tuesdays ago.

I could waffle on for hours after seeing his family members pay tribute to him today but I won’t. I could also get some of the anger I feel towards the perpetrator and the Vic court system who let this turd roam free to do this heinous act but I won’t.

I just want to acknowledge the loss of an avid BF reader and follower of our great club. He knew who a lot of you were by your posting. You wouldn’t have known that as you watched the news and saw the pics of his car squashed to a pulp in the front yard of the corner house.

His name was Will Taylor. Shinboner to the core since birth in 1996.

IMG_6326.jpeg
IMG_6338.jpeg

RIP Will 💙

I attended a funeral today with Mrs Toes. The funeral was for a neighbour of ours who I’ve known since he was born and who I’d chat footy and soccer with at least three or four times per week. I’d see him everyday as he passed by enroute to the gym, work or training and we’d give each other a wave.

He barracked for North and Melb Victory (as I do) and he’d keep an eye on the Storm.

We’d talk all things North though mostly and I loved his calm thinking, no matter how pox we were looking.

Over all of the years not once had I mentioned BigFooty until a year or so ago he raised it. “How long have you been on BF?” He asked. “WTF, how the hell would you know I’m on there?”

“I’ve known for ages. I figured it out a couple of years ago. Probably during covid. Not sure, but something you posted about rang a bell so I kept an eye on your posts and I really didn’t need your acknowledgement but you have just confirmed that I was right. I knew I was all along”.

He was a shy, quietly spoken very intelligent young bloke. Had a high 90’s ATAR and won an award as dux of economics. He was a maths genius.

Post uni he worked with Pointsbet for five years and was the bloke who designed and ran their odds making systems. He left that and was studying Medicine until his cruel and untimely death.

You would’ve seen it on the news. The Burwood car crash victim on his way to soccer training two Tuesdays ago.

I could waffle on for hours after seeing his family members pay tribute to him today but I won’t. I could also get some of the anger I feel towards the perpetrator and the Vic court system who let this turd roam free to do this heinous act but I won’t.

I just want to acknowledge the loss of an avid BF reader and follower of our great club. He knew who a lot of you were by your posting. You wouldn’t have known that as you watched the news and saw the pics of his car squashed to a pulp in the front yard of the corner house.

View attachment 2049666
View attachment 2049669

RIP Will 💙
Devastating.

View attachment 2049666
View attachment 2049669

RIP Will 💙

That is so sad to read and such an unnecessary loss.

View attachment 2049666
View attachment 2049669

RIP Will 💙
Thank you for sharing this with us. What a shocking and unnecessary death. Condolences to family and friends of William, a shinboner gone too soon. RIP shinboner.

View attachment 2049666
View attachment 2049669

RIP Will
Nice tribute Toes.
Looks and sounds like a fine young man and a great loss to the NM brotherhood.

Unsurprisingly, the magistrate is already dismissive of the police investigation -

“It’s a pair of white shoes,” magistrate Jack Vandersteen said. “I’m not even sure I can form a reasonable belief that he’s committed the offence.”

It's called DNA judge, sign the flipping application to obtain. You just feel the judge will run a wet lettuce leaf over this campaigner of a human...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 2049666
View attachment 2049669

RIP Will 💙
So sorry to hear Toes. I bet it was your car posts that gave it away ;)

I was doing a night shift at the hospital the other night, and opened up the news and this was the one story I read before I got too sad and closed the site. Couldn't believe a young guy with so much promise, who wanted to help people was taken like that.

RIP Will. You will be remembered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back