Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Awful news Twinkletoes.

Agree with archereleven, bit of net searching reveals the soft touch magistrate, the sarcastic judge.. What s fantastic system.

Any way Will sounds like a fantastic and gifted young man. Thoughts with his family, their lives forever more plagued by this sadness.

Memories of your coldest North games ?

. Byron Pickett / Brendan Krummel / Carey 7 goals night game Waverly.
. Princes Park Jeff Hogg missed goal win.
. MCG game v Dees iirc. Still, foggy afternoon game where top temp of the day was 6dg C.
. Kardinia Park Cyclone game where we all went home via Melton !
. Windswept days at Whitten Oval - 1963 until closure 🤣
Two games come to mind.

One at Arden St against the swans in the early to mid 80s when about 600 people turned up. It was bloody cold. For some reason, my wife's sister came to the game (St Kilda supporter). She was so cold she bought a North scarf to try to keep warm. The entire crowd huddled under the tin roof that used to be there.

Another was against Carlton at the G - probably early 90s. We sat near the fence but it started to rain so the family all moved back under cover. I was in a shitty mood coz we were getting reamed by the umpires (obviously) so I just sat there, alone, freezing and soaked and was even more pissed off when the camera picked me out amongst the empty seats, scowling whenever Carlton kicked another goal. The worst part was the drive home to Frankston, sitting on a plastic tarp to keep the seat of the car dry.

Worst ever was playing at Princetown though as a junior. The hail bowing in off Bass Strait was sharp coming in horizontally, backed by gale forced winds and was so sharp all of the players had micro cuts and blood trickling down faces, arms and legs from the shards of ice.

Two games come to mind.

One at Arden St against the swans in the early to mid 80s when about 600 people turned up. It was bloody cold. For some reason, my wife's sister came to the game (St Kilda supporter). She was so cold she bought a North scarf to try to keep warm. The entire crowd huddled under the tin roof that used to be there.

Another was against Carlton at the G - probably early 90s. We sat near the fence but it started to rain so the family all moved back under cover. I was in a shitty mood coz we were getting reamed by the umpires (obviously) so I just sat there, alone, freezing and soaked and was even more pissed off when the camera picked me out amongst the empty seats, scowling whenever Carlton kicked another goal. The worst part was the drive home to Frankston, sitting on a plastic tarp to keep the seat of the car dry.

Worst ever was playing at Princetown though as a junior. The hail bowing in off Bass Strait was sharp coming in horizontally, backed by gale forced winds and was so sharp all of the players had micro cuts and blood trickling down faces, arms and legs from the shards of ice.

T.T. mentioned the Swans game previous page, must have been working to miss that one.
I remember l was the only idiot sitting out the front of the H H. pavillion during the Hawk's 1977 Blight missed score game after the siren. Rained for about a week before that and l'm sure the VFL was considering cancelling games that weekend. I'd played that morning v Ivanhoe Grammar and they had no showers ! Got to Arden st.wet, muddy.
But iirc the bloody rain stopped at 1/2 time and the sun came out ! 😡

That’s the one. Sideways hail, a top temp of 6C with a windchill below zero. Only the truly committed made it to that one. Everyone was so closely huddled beneath the tin shed that I felt related to them by the end.

Next door neighbor has sold and moving on due to a divorce. Sadly his dad who is a nice bloke is still residing on the property and will have to move on when they settle. More sadly the whole episode has had a very bad effect on their relationship and they are not talking. Given the bloke across the road got prostate cancer and him and his wife recently moved out looks like we are going to become the longest residents in the street!

Absolutely i imagine for those that knew him, for us that didnt that was a lovely tribute to a person that was obviously one of the good guys. Very classy post toes 👍
I didn’t know him but I live in the same area as Toes and that corner is near where my kids play tennis and footy and so many other things in our lives, it could have been any of us, it’s hard to stop thinking about the horrible bad luck and shocking decisions by others that have taken Will from his loved ones, and now it's even harder.

Also makes me think, if anyone else is a long time lurker, please join the chat and let us get to know at least this version of you. It’s weird but kind of like a big family, don’t just read what other people say and be daunted by the step of becoming an active part of it, sit yourself down and start talking.

Two games come to mind.

Was that Blues game like in April of 94/95?

I have a recollection that OJ highway drive was on at the time and Rex Hunt was describing it on 3aw on the way to the MCG

It rained and rained

I sat out in it and yelled Schwatta get into it

He did

But we lost

Was that Blues game like in April of 94/95?

I have a recollection that OJ highway drive was on at the time and Rex Hunt was describing it on 3aw on the way to the MCG

It rained and rained

He did

But we lost
Was around then Gaso. All I can remember is that we were flogged, I was freezing, I got in all kinds of shit from my wife and I had to strip down and sit in the back seat wrapped in a blue plastic tarp all the way home. And I did mention it once a few years ago when we were talking about footy - I copped it just as bad then as I did on the day. It might have been 94 as she bought me a reserved seat behind the goal at the punt rd end for the next few seasons as a gift...

...to herself as she sat with her folks in the AFL reserved area and my seat was just about as far away as you can get while still being inside the MCG.

I think there was some other North nut-case sitting out in the rain. Sounds like it was you!

Was around then Gaso. All I can remember is that we were flogged, I was freezing, I got in all kinds of shit from my wife and I had to strip down and sit in the back seat wrapped in a blue plastic tarp all the way home. And I did mention it once a few years ago when we were talking about footy - I copped it just as bad then as I did on the day. It might have been 94 as she bought me a reserved seat behind the goal at the punt rd end for the next few seasons as a gift...

...to herself as she sat with her folks in the AFL reserved area and my seat was just about as far away as you can get while still being

inside the MCG.

I think there was some other North nut-case sitting out in the rain. Sounds like it was you!

I think it was this game, but OJ was 94.

Schwatta obviously listening to my advice

IMG_7569.jpeg

Don't know where to put this, but, anyone else having trouble in the tipping comp. ?

Says l picked;
. Eagles to beat Saints at Marvel ✖
. Dees to beat Dockers at Optus ✖
. Suns to beat Giants in Sydney ✖
. Pies to beat Hawks at the MCG ✖
. Us to beat Carltank ✖
. Swans to beat Lions at the Gabba ✖

Edit: now it's self-corrected 🙄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know where to put this, but, anyone else having trouble in the tipping comp. ?

Says l picked;
. Eagles to beat Saints at Marvel ✖
. Dees to beat Dockers at Optus ✖
. Suns to beat Giants in Sydney ✖
. Pies to beat Hawks at the MCG ✖
. Us to beat Carltank ✖
. Swans to beat Lions at the Gabba ✖

Edit: now it's self-corrected 🙄
Has the Chief entered into a contract with Dominion Voting Systems to tally the Big Footy tipping votes?

Twenty six yers and it’s finally obvious.
You went in 98 but not 96 and 99.
You’re the issue!

In all seriouslyness, what fantastic memories. I have some of the same tickets hidden in the cupboard so the light doesn’t fade the last bit of ink.

Any tech savvy folk on here help me. I enjoy listening to spotify and do a little scrolling through here.

Whenever I open this through safari, it paused my spotify. Its new, has only been happening last few weeks.

Is this because the site is a shitbox full of bugs?

Any tech savvy folk on here help me. I enjoy listening to spotify and do a little scrolling through here.

Whenever I open this through safari, it paused my spotify. Its new, has only been happening last few weeks.

Is this because the site is a shitbox full of bugs?

Sounds like Safari is taking over your PC's media controls and trying to play ads on BF, either change browser or download a third party app to disable the feature.

Random Q, do we have anyone in the interchange area who routinely holds up those cards with like a 3, 2, or 1 minutes to go, i've even seen some for 30sec ?

I don't really recall us doing it too much, if at all, maybe it would help with our conceding goals in red time problem if we did.

Random Q, do we have anyone in the interchange area who routinely holds up those cards with like a 3, 2, or 1 minutes to go, i've even seen some for 30sec ?

I don't really recall us doing it too much, if at all, maybe it would help with our conceding goals in red time problem if we did.
We do.

They hold up 3, 2, 1 and 25 with about half a minute to go.

So I thought I would have a gander at how our guys have gone in this year's AFLCA Coaches Award so far.....

LDU. 63 votes
Harry. 37
X. 28
JY. 10
Larkey. 7
Arch. 5
Corr. 5
George. 5
Kerch. 5
Scott. 5
Chom. 4
CZ. 3
Powell. 2

Last edited:
Didn’t want to make a thread about this specifically so here will do.

I attended a funeral today with Mrs Toes. The funeral was for a neighbour of ours who I’ve known since he was born and who I’d chat footy and soccer with at least three or four times per week. I’d see him everyday as he passed by enroute to the gym, work or training and we’d give each other a wave.

He barracked for North and Melb Victory (as I do) and he’d keep an eye on the Storm.

We’d talk all things North though mostly and I loved his calm thinking, no matter how pox we were looking.

Over all of the years not once had I mentioned BigFooty until a year or so ago he raised it. “How long have you been on BF?” He asked. “WTF, how the hell would you know I’m on there?”

“I’ve known for ages. I figured it out a couple of years ago. Probably during covid. Not sure, but something you posted about rang a bell so I kept an eye on your posts and I really didn’t need your acknowledgement but you have just confirmed that I was right. I knew I was all along”.

I asked if he posted here and what his username was.

“No, never posted, but read it daily and have for over a decade” he said.

He was a shy, quietly spoken very intelligent young bloke. Had a high 90’s ATAR and won an award as dux of economics. He was a maths genius.

Post uni he worked with Pointsbet for five years and was the bloke who designed and ran their odds making systems. He left that and was studying Medicine until his cruel and untimely death.

You would’ve seen it on the news. The Burwood car crash victim on his way to soccer training two Tuesdays ago.

I could waffle on for hours after seeing his family members pay tribute to him today but I won’t. I could also get some of the anger I feel towards the perpetrator and the Vic court system who let this turd roam free to do this heinous act but I won’t.

I just want to acknowledge the loss of an avid BF reader and follower of our great club. He knew who a lot of you were by your posting. You wouldn’t have known that as you watched the news and saw the pics of his car squashed to a pulp in the front yard of the corner house.

His name was Will Taylor. Shinboner to the core since birth in 1996.

View attachment 2049666
View attachment 2049669

RIP Will 💙
Truly sad.
I'm a but late to this but condolences to you and his family and friends.

My loved ones were watching Pendlebury highlight clips today and there was one against North so they tested me on who our players in the clip were. They were wearing the pinstriped jumpers so I knew it wasn’t that long ago. And I watch every game and maintain a mild obsession all season every season. Easy. Simpkin, check. Ziebell, check. Cunnington, check. Then, who TF is that? Even when we paused the video to get a clear player number, no idea. Number 31. Had to google it to remind myself it was Conor Menadue, who played 7 games in 2021. And now I’ve already completely forgotten what he looks like again.

Down in Geelong. 2001.
Absolutely poured.
I was about 16 years old & I remember my hands were so cold I couldn’t even get the zipper on my wallet open to get the change out to buy a hot jam donut.
I remember when lining up for the donuts I was directly behind Dougie Hawkins. I believe he was on boundary rider commentary duties. Looked a lot warmer than me.
We won.
Carey kicked a great goal from (what felt like) about 70m out & it dribbled through the wet grass for the last 40 odd metres.
Cold, but great memories.
A mate & I were visiting Melbourne for the weekend & we’d also been to Pies Vs Tigers at the MCG & then seen the Dogs beat the eventual premiers, Brisbane, in the Docklands.

I used to love going to Geelong for our games from about 93 to 2007 when we seemed to win more often than not.

There weren’t many North fans at that game in 2001 but I remember the small band of us that were there that day walking out and singing ‘hearts to hearts and hands to hands …’ with gusto in the rain. From memory, it might have been the first time I’d heard the first verse being sung by supporters, and made me wonder for how long it’s been sung by the players after a win? Does anybody know for how long it has been the introductory verse to ‘Join in the Chorus’?

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Random NORTH thoughts not worthy of a thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back