Ratten To Be Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t necessarily think Ross is a bad coach he’s decent, but is just absolutely not suited to this Saints situation right now. Gee whiz how good do they think their list is? I have no doubt he will get some decent results out of them and probably finish around the 8 or in the 8 a couple of times but he is, categorically, not winning a flag with this side. They’re a mile off being within a sniff of the top sides.

I’m genuinely bewildered that the fans are happy with this? Ross will not undertake the rebuild they need - This pretty much guarantees 4-5 years of middling results before an absolute drop off for the ages, and pretty much guarantees irrelevancy, or worse, for the better part of the next decade I’d have thought. If middling results was what they’re aiming for they should have just kept Ratten & their current list management strategy it’s doing just fine 😂

I’d genuinely be ropable as a saints fan rn but hey good luck to them. Would rather see the downfall of genuinely terribly people like Clarko/Fagan and their sides well before wishing any harm on the Sainters but **** they do it to themselves, just can’t help it 😂

Will Max King head north to join his brother to get away from Ross’ ultra defensive coaching?

Will Max King head north to join his brother to get away from Ross’ ultra defensive coaching?
It's an interesting point.

I've watched St Kilda relatively closely this year as I'm still a sucker for key forwards, and am interested in King.

I've said it before, but I'd leave if I was him. The way they used him has been appalling. Career killing stuff.

So I'm really interested in how Lyon uses him. I mean, IMO, that's probably the difference between them being average or good.

If the AFL are looking for a sucessor for Gillon , then only have to look on Big Footy because it's loaded with f*****g experts, prophets, genii and other soothsayers.
+backpeddling Saints fans who now have to pretend they haven't spent the last decade burning Lyon effigies and actually he was a good coach all along

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An ultimately wasted a generational talent
Plenty of blokes with all sorts of talent never get near a grand final. Do you think Gold Coast are a lock for a flag? If Max goes and doesn't win one, is it a waste of his talent?

Moving clubs never got Lockett a flag.

I've watched St Kilda relatively closely this year as I'm still a sucker for key forwards, and am interested in King.

I've said it before, but I'd leave if I was him. The way they used him has been appalling. Career killing stuff.

So I'm really interested in how Lyon uses him. I mean, IMO, that's probably the difference between them being average or good.
Max King is going to love it there. Lyon will build the team around him.

It beggars belief that Ratten and Rath had a tall skinny mobile forward and had him stand still and wrestle while his midfielders pump the ball to land on his head while he was being double/triple teamed, or that he continued to let Dougal Howard butcher the kick-ins.

Well that's all behind us now. Lyon will give the Saints players roles, get them fitter and more accountable.

He will demand the best and freeze out the pretenders. There are about 20 or so players who will either find a higher level or be looking for a new club.

If Max King feels he's too good to be criticized and wants to leave then he's definitely worth a top 3 draft pick.

I'd be fascinated to get the St Kilda supporters' general take on this. He didn't win a premiership and didn't leave on good terms. The general sentiment that I've seen from St Kilda supporters towards Lyon on here for many years has been as hostile as any supporter base towards a specific coach, not just that he was unsuccessful, but that he did them dirty. It seems to me that he either wins a premiership and it's a great redemption story (what are his chances... 5-10%?) or he doesn't and many supporters would be left wondering why they let him back in after the way he left last time. Either way, I suppose it's going to be intriguing.

There's the similarities with the Hird/Essendon reboot that never ended up happening. While the rest of the footy public found the idea hysterical (as he wouldn't have been a serious candidate for a job anywhere else), I figured the Essendon supporters would be onboard with it, the whole 'us against the world' thing. But if their board here was anything to go by, they weren't... way, way more of their supporters against the idea than for it.

Absolute hyperbole crap

"Career killing stuff"

He seems to be developing pretty well.

To kick 50 goals as a 22 year old (something only Buddy and Cameron were able to do in terms of current players) shows how well he has developed over the last couple of years.

Can't see his career being killed any time soon and I doubt he goes anywhere

I'd be fascinated to get the St Kilda supporters' general take on this. He didn't win a premiership and didn't leave on good terms. The general sentiment that I've seen from St Kilda supporters towards Lyon on here for many years has been as hostile as any supporter base towards a specific coach, not just that he was unsuccessful, but that he did them dirty. It seems to me that he either wins a premiership and it's a great redemption story (what are his chances... 5-10%?) or he doesn't and many supporters would be left wondering why they let him back in after the way he left last time. Either way, I suppose it's going to be intriguing.

There's the similarities with the Hird/Essendon reboot that never ended up happening. While the rest of the footy public found the idea hysterical (as he wouldn't have been a serious candidate for a job anywhere else), I figured the Essendon supporters would be onboard with it, the whole 'us against the world' thing. But if their board here was anything to go by, they weren't... way, way more of their supporters against the idea than for it.

Ross was a bee's dick away from multiple flags. Players choked in front of goal in 09.

Ive never held any animosity towards him. Thought the club was stupid for not locking him in back in the day.

Now? Bring it on. Club has had three mediocre coaches since he left. Hope he gets announced today as the coach of our club.

I don't really understand why the rest of the footy world would find it hysterical?

Seems like plenty in the media agree that he is the best available coach.

IMO we got very lucky that he didn't end up at either Carlton or Essendon.

No doubt he left on bad terms but most of that was caused by our board at the time. He was keen to stay at st Kilda until he was stuffed around.

I don't see the similarities with Hird

I don't really understand why the rest of the footy world would find it hysterical?

Seems like plenty in the media agree that he is the best available coach.

IMO we got very lucky that he didn't end up at either Carlton or Essendon.

No doubt he left on bad terms but most of that was caused by our board at the time. He was keen to stay at st Kilda until he was stuffed around.

I don't see the similarities with Hird

I was referring to Hird as it being a hysterical response from non-Essendon supporters, that's where it differs from Lyon. Hird wouldn't have been appointed as the senior coach at any AFL club besides the one that he should never have even been remotely considered for, that was what was so funny about it when it got to the "Holy shit, it's going to happen" stage.

Lyon was still in demand as a popular candidate for several coaching jobs, so no, opposition supporters don't find it hysterical that he's coming back, apologies for not articulating that well. In fact, I feel like beyond Big Footy, most casual supporters (maybe even more casual St Kilda supporters) probably wouldn't remember the circumstances under which he left last time and that a lot of very passionate supporters have had serious aniomosity towards him for quite some time.

For me, he's not quite the slam dunk that he was for Freo ten years ago. He's been out of club land for a few years and hasn't coached a finals team since 2015. So we shall see.

Ross was a bee's dick away from multiple flags. Players choked in front of goal in 09.

Ive never held any animosity towards him. Thought the club was stupid for not locking him in back in the day.

Now? Bring it on. Club has had three mediocre coaches since he left. Hope he gets announced today as the coach of our club.
Never change St Kilda never change

Remove this Banner Ad

Back